“Great Hotel”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #10 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 11 April 2012

When I first found Albergo Del Senato on the Trip Advisor listing it was down around number 8 or 10. Today it is #3, it could easily be #1. I’ve stayed in many high end hotels and never received such excellent service. The hotel Staff is very friendly and professional. Although the building is very old, which of course is part of the charm, everything was kept nice and clean. It is in the center of everything that tourists come to see, the view from the roof top is amazing. I encourage you to book well in advance as this Hotel in the future will boast - NO VACANCIES.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I recently returned from my 6th trip to Rome in as many years and after passing the Albergo del Senato many times, I finally decided to book a room here. I am very happy I did, I think this hotel is just terrific.

First, the location can't be beat for being in the center of the historic center of Rome. Most anything a visitor to Rome would want to see is either within walking distance, or if you're planning to use Rome's public transit system bus stops are very easy to get to.

Secondly, the staff if superior. Any request, including pre-arrival restaurant reservations, were accommodated quickly, efficiently and with a smile. Every staff member from the front desk, to the bellmen, to the housekeepers, and bartender were friendly, even putting up with attempts of my basic Italian language skills.

Although the room I had was not in the front of the hotel and had no view, the benefit to being located on the back side of the hotel was blessed quiet. I can't say if the room facing the Piazza della Rotonda are noisy, but it was nice to be able to sleep in a quiet spot.

I was happily surprised at the size of the double (twin bedded) room, based on my previous European hotel experiences, this room and bathroom were extraordinarily spacious. And the room was immaculately clean.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great hotel in Rome.

1  Thank LowCountryIslander
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have just returned from a three night holiday and we loved everything about this hotel! The location is perfect, the Pantheon and the Piazza have a wonderful atmosphere. We could walk to all the places we wanted to visit and could pack so much into each day as we seemed to be in the centre of everything. The staff are wonderful and very helpful, they recommended a local restaurant which was lovely, more Roman and better value than the tourist restaurants. The views from the roof terrace are a bonus, we had been watching the Piazza on the hotel webcam before our holiday, it was amazing to be standing up there ourselves! Our room was on the second floor, very clean and had everything we needed. Every evening our beds were turned down and chocolates left for us. When the windows were open we could hear noise from the Piazza, but we loved this! A gentle hustle and bustle and music floated up to us. We also loved the breakfasts, bacon and egg, fresh fruit, cereals, toast, pastries and cake, tea and coffee, what more could you want! We used the car service for airport transfers, this was a great way to start and finish our holiday as it was so convenient to be driven from the airport straight to the hotel, and we had some useful tips from the drivers. Vincenzo told us where the best ice-creams are in Rome, at Giolitti's, 5 minutes from the Pantheon, and he was right. We had to check everyday just to make sure! This hotel is wonderful, we plan to go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank sunnyweymouth
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just back after a week long holiday in Rome at the Albergo del Senato. There is a lot that is special about this hotel. The location is amazing with the Pantheon a mere kissing distance away. It's very friendly and all the staff went out of their way to ensure that everything was just as we we would like, nothing was too much trouble for them. We had a junior suite (apartment) on the fifth floor and this consisted of 3 rooms, bathroom and small balcony. It was quiet in the evenings and during the night and was extremely comfortable.
Above floor 6, there is an amazing roof terrace that has views all across the city. The bar was closed s it was out of season, however this was no problem as we took a bottle of wine up there anyhow. There are also a few chairs and tables outside the front of the hotel, which were great for watching all that was going on in the piazza during the evening.
The del Senato was well placed with restaurants all around and we experienced the good, the bad and the ugly. The best was Antonios which is next to the Tazza D'oro nearby. A good tourist menu type restaurant was Ciro e Ciro which is in the next piazza up from Piazza della Rotunda(turn left out of the hotel, and walk up the piazza and into the next one. Grom's Gelati is just a few metres above this (a real treat).
When we return to Rome, there will be only one hotel for us and that is the Albergo del Senato.

1  Thank jayteacat
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We wanted to stay close to action so chose this hotel. It was a real gem, close to many of the great tourist sites and right beside the Pantheon. We were very pleased with all aspects of the hotel. The rooms were very nice, spacious and clean. The breakfast was just what we were after. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and nothing was too much to ask for. The location was amazing, to open the window and see the Pantheon each morning was something I will not forget. There was a constant buzz about the piazza but the noise was never a problem, it was the sound of Rome, of people enjoying themselves. There are a lot of nice restaurants close by so eating was not a problem.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view, which is normally out over the piazza and the Pantheon.

Three reasons why I think Albergo del Senato was well worth the price:
- Location is pretty much the best possible for exploring Rome. The Pantheon gives it special character. Our top floor room had a nice balcony which had sun throughout the day.
- Staff is super friendly but also very useful. Recommendations from the reception took us to very nice restaurants in the neighborhood.
- Character – this is not just a chain hotel, but a unique place which doesn't feel standardized. Everything has been given attention.
Be sure to climb to the roof to enjoy the view!

Room Tip: Top floor superior rooms are worth the slightly higher price.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

There are so many hotels to choose from in Rome that it's not surprising people get confused with the number of options. Well this is where sites like tripadvisor provide invaluable help. Like many people I was astonished by the choice and as this trip was a surprise for my wife I wanted to make sure I got it right. After a fair amount of research I finalised on th Alberto del senato based on almost faultless tripadvisor feedback (and not just a few reviews, over a thousand) which constantly had this hotel in the top 5 in Rome.
Location - unbeatable for me. Might not be for everyone as it is in one of the busiest Piazzas in Rome, but I loved that. I do not believe you can beat the location, it's within 5-10 minutes easy beautiful cobbled backstreet walks to Piazza Navona, Campo do fiord, Spanish steps, the Tiber, Roman forum etc. We always returned to the Piazza for a late nightcap watching the entertainment and crowds.
Room - We had room 103 whilst not huge, it was fine for our 3 night stop. It had a fantastic view of the Pantheon and the Piazza. We loved having the windows open and hearing the hustle and bustle - even in the evening listening to the crowds and the musical entertainment (guitarists, singers etc). When the windows are shut you can hear nothing so those of you who don't like the noise will not ned to worry.
Staff - friendliest and most helpfull hotel staff I have ever experienced, from front desk to breakfast room.
Breakfast - great choice of cereal hams/cheeses, cakes, fresh fruit, yoghurts, bread/rolls and also egg and bacon - set us up for the day and we got by with only an ice cream for lunch (Oh my god the ice creams are fantastic)
I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel, which is only a 3 star. If...... No actually 'when' we return to Rome we will 100 % be coming back to the Abergo Del Senato - if you are in any doubt, don't be - just try it !

Stayed: April 2012