“Lovely hotel right in a good location”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #10 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here for five nights in July for the second leg of our 20 night honeymoon and absolutely loved it! I booked this hotel as we wanted to stay in Centro Storico district with a rooftop bar, Albergo del Senato met our requirements (and the reviews were not to shabby either).

Service prior to arrival and during our stay was excellent. Questions I had prior to arrival were answered promptly over email and also front desk staff was quite helpful during our stay. I appreciated the fact that they acknowledged it was our honeymoon without us being so overtly loud and obnoxious about it; we stayed at 6 hotels during our trip and communicated to all of our hotels that it was our honeymoon when we booked and also when emailing the staff a couple of days prior to arrival. They had a bottle of champagne ready in our room with a hearty congratulations when we checked in. Not all of our hotels we stayed at had the attention to detail that Albergo del Senato's staff did and want to commend them, as it made my husband's and I stay worthwhile and meaningful.

I initially booked a standard room and upgraded the last minute to a Superior Double room with a Pantheon view. Our room was on the top floor and had a balcony. The view was amazing, I loved standing outside our room balcony before going to sleep and when I woke up. The insulation was good that we did not hear the crowds on the days we slept in. The room was a good size; we liked the closet as we could store our luggage and other belongings and did not have to see it (this made us feel more at home during our stay).

We loved the location - right next to Pantheon and close to Piazza Navona. We were able to walk to other sights in Rome such as the Colosseum, Vatican City and Travestere district. It was also convenient that it was close to the bank, grocery store, shopping and some great gelaterias. The rooftop bar was lovely and there are also lounge chairs outside the hotel if you prefer to people watch. Wifi was free and we never had a problem with connection. Also there is a taxi area next to the Pantheon and would just walk there if we ever needed to take one.

Overall we'd stay at this hotel again. We threw a coin at the Trevi fountain, so we are destined to return one day. It was the perfect combination of great service, comfortable rooms and excellent location that made it one of our favorite hotels during our honeymoon. I do regret not taking advantage of the front desk staff by asking them to make dinner reservations for us (they offered). We did not want to be bothered with restaurant reservations and wanted to wander aimlessly.

Room Tip: Upgrade or book a Superior Double with Pantheon view, ask for a top floor room. The view is amazing...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seattle2sf

Reviewed 20 August 2012

There are few places in the world where one can be made to feel like family so quickly. We weren't adopted so maybe family is a little strong, but within 4 hours the front desk knew us by sight and had answers to any questions we might have. Stayed on both sides of our 2 week trip. Rooms are great - big and small. Location could not be better. Molto bene.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We recently returned from Rome where we traveled, 2 Mom's and 2 - 20 year old daughters. Through Tripadvisor we located the "Senato" and were SO IMPRESSED. The hotel itself was built in the 1700's as a Palace so the interior is absolutely breathtaking right down to the massive marble staircase. The location is 20 steps from the Pantheon and the rooftop terrace provides a perfect place to view the Piazza below and the Vatican on the horizon while enjoying drinks and unwinding from a day of sightseeing.

The staff could not of been more helpful with tours, taxis at 3:00 in the AM, questions and directions as well as amazing recommendations for our best meal in Rome. Loved the personalized calligraphy.

The rooms are all differents with high ceilings, crown moldings and a huge bathroom that looked out to the Pantheon (Room 403) while enjoying the music of street performers down below with windows open. We were within walking distance of all major attractions including Trevi Fountain, Spanish Step and the Forum as well as great shopping for the girls.

Could mot recommend high enough. A must in Rome....

Room Tip: 403 was perfection. 408 a little larger but not as good of view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tracy L
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is the second year we have stayed at this hotel. The location is fantastic as you leave the hotel and encounter the pantheon. Every Rome attraction is walk able. The service is exceptional - if you are lucky you will be greeted by Mauro at the front desk who is both delightful and very helpful. Our rooms this year were a bit disappointing - very small and on the 1st floor so a bit noisy, but all in all outstanding value. We would return but request a room on a higher floor. The roof top bar is wonderful!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank JMRDB
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Lately I have used TA extensively in determining which hotels fit our particular travel plans and the reviews were very important in our decisioning. When I read a negative review, I will pause and think I should perhaps reconsider. As you can see, the reviews on this hotel are exceptionally positive and I can tell you that they are all true and this hotel is extraordinary. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on a post-cruise and my expectations were very high based upon the reviews that I had read over the last several months. My expectations were blown away and my wife and the couple we were traveling with thanked me profusely for finding this hotel because everyone loved it. It is true, the location is perfect but what makes this hotel an oasis in a sea of hot and plentiful tourists is the treatment you receive from the staff, notably, Alessandro and Mauro. Both of them provide great tips and they go out of their way to provide you with whatever you need to make your stay enjoyable.

When we first arrived at the hotel, they only had 1 room available for one of the couples so we figured out who got the room and we then stored our luggage and I quickly mapped out an itinerary with Alessandro that I had crafted based upon my research. She agreed with most of it and pointed out a couple of stops that she did not think we would enjoy. The next day we did the hop on hop off bus and saw the stops that she took off the list and she was correct. Both of them gave us great restaurant recommendations during our stay and told us ones to avoid.

Another thing that was enjoyable about the hotel was that it had just turned "hot" with temps approaching low to mid-90's and the AC in the hotel was a welcome relief. The breakfast that is served in the morning is very good serving scrambled eggs, cereals, pastries, etc. and will tide you over until that needed lunch time stop for pizza in Rome. The terrace on top of the building is a great place to have that after dinner cocktail not only for the view but the overall ambience is simply great. As mentioned, is was very hot during the day and sitting outside on this terrace in the evening was very enjoyable.

The last time we stayed in Rome we stayed at the hotel that carries the Waldorf Astoria trademark and while this hotel was truly exquisite it won't be the one I stay at next time. Without a doubt, we will stay at the Albergo del Senato every time going forward. I know you have all heard that throwing a coin over your shoulder in the Trevi fountain ensures your return to Rome again, I do believe it because we came back inside of 2 years. We did the coin toss again on this trip and I am sure we will be back and you can count on the fact we will be staying at the Albergo del Senato.

So, for those of you pondering if these reviews are real and you can count on them....Stop...read a few more if you want but don't hesitate in booking this hotel right now!! You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

I loved everything about this hotel. The staff were all so friendly and helpful, the wi-fi worked well and allowed us to easily keep in touch with our family. The breakfast in the morning was perfect for us and my husband couldn't wait to get up to the rooftop bar each day. The location is awesome and walking out the door each morning and seeing the Pantheon was a great way to start the day.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

This is definitely the best hotel in Rome. As they say, what makes the hotel great is "location, location, location". What makes it outstanding is when it adds "quality staff." That's what you get from Albergo del Senato. It is next to the Pantheon. You can't get any closer! And the front desk and concierge service --from Alessandra (she was so patient in giving us directions to wonderful restaurants in walking distance and beyond), Mauro & Luco who are friendly and helpful -- can't be beat. And the added asset of the hotel, the only terrace bar! The view is fantastic and Michele is wonderful--very professional and his service and the goodies he presents with your drinks as you watch the sun set over Roma are exquisite. The only suggestion: we could enjoy more of the view on a hot August day if the terrace were misted (as are the restaurants on the piazza); and on the last day we were there I saw Michele trying to rig something up. Again, just another way that the service is geared toward pleasing its customers. We highly recommend the Albergo del Senato and we will definitely return!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great facing the Pantheon!