“Expensive for what it is”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #9 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I had read the reviews of this hotel and thought it must be worth the money, but I think it is overpriced. The good things are it is in a great location and yes the view of the Pantheon from the room is great. The rooms are nice and well equipped and the roof terrace is a lovely spot in the sun.

However, I think at the price they charge I would expect more. For instance we visited in April and the air conditioning didn't work and after informing reception (twice) they said it was centrally controlled and that although we were too hot the heating couldn't be turned off so the room was 25 degrees through the night. We also informed them (3 times) the wifi didn't work in our room but no one seemed to know what to do and instead we could only use wifi outside of our room (not ideal).

The hotel is an average 4 star with a good location, not that great. I think for the price you pay I would expect more than you get.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RichieSt
DelSenato, Manager at Albergo del Senato, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Dear Sir / Madame,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on our hotel. We always read all reviews and do go through the details when a complain. I have verified with the maintenance and he had nothing notified regarding a termostate broken in any room in the beginning of April and neither in the end of March. Almost all of our rooms have a termostate where you can switch on and off the air directly from the room and if you are unable to do it from the room we can always manage it from the computer at the reception.

During the winter heating works in the rooms and in the summer airconditon. When changing weather conditions we provide to set the system for the coming season. You are unable to have heather in the summer time as well as aircondition during the winter.

Regarding the WIFI it can happen sometimes the the the system is blocked but with a simple reset it start to work again. If you don’t mind I would like to receive some more detailed information regarding which will help me to understand if there is something that does not work.We have not have any complains the last weeks from our guest using WIFI in their rooms, except for short moments, resolved at once.

At the end I would like to inform you and all future guests that we are a 3 star hotel and not a 4 star hotel even if nowadays the stars not always give the real value.
With Kind Regards

Ann Johansson
a.johansson@albergodelsenato.it
Deputy Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,724)

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I think pretty much everything has been said before in other reviews. Absolutely stunning location, wonderful staff, just an all around joy to stay here. I highly recommend this hotel. So glad that we picked it, and hope to one day return!

Room Tip: I loved ours (room #407). Corner room looking right at the Pantheon.
1  Thank EllenB362
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My mum and I visited Rome for her birthday. We were very lucky to stay at this hotel. First of all - fantastic service, fantastic! What's more - great location minutes from the most interesting places in Rome. Clean, nicely decorated, perfect hotel for a sightseeing trip. Modest breakfast but lovely coffee. Will definitely stay at this hotel next time we are in Rome.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Volha L
Reviewed 3 April 2013

You won't find a better location in Rome! Dozens of restaurants on your doorstep with a vibrant atmosphere and a romantic setting. If you are lucky enough to get a room with a view of the pantheon, sit back and watch the tourists flock like busy bees around the square all day long. The hotel may only be 3 stars but is more 4 star with incredible décor and outstanding service, and although my missus couldn't find an iron in our room, it didn't stop our trip being 5 star!

1  Thank DarraghShona
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We spent 4 nights last week in the Seminario suite. A friend of mine convinced me to cancel my 5 star hotel reservation to stay at the Albergo. I must say that I did question all of the stellar reviews about this 3 star hotel. I was reluctant to trust her and I am sure glad that I did. Now that I stayed here I can say that this hotel is deserving of its ranking on TripAdvisor. We had been concerned that the area surrounding the Pantheon would be too busy but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was perfect in terms of location and the room was truly magical. The frescoes on the ceiling of the Seminario suite make you feel like you are staying in the spare bedroom of one of the great painters in the world. To us this was truly the best room in the hotel, even given the fact the there is no direct view of the Pantheon from the room unless you stretch your neck out. But who needs it when you can just look at the painted ceiling at night? The bathroom was large, modern, spotless, and the shower had great water pressure. The suite also had a smaller living room/ante room which was useful for spreading out. The room had many outlets but our particular room only had the three prong outlets so we needed to get another plug from the front desk to convert our two prong Italian plugs to three prongs. The staff at the front desk were warm, friendly, and helpful and offered great dinner time choices. Although some people have complained about the breakfast choices we found the breakfast to be adequate. The Albergo is truly in an amazing location. There is nothing like walking out of the hotel and seeing the Pantheon- we never took this location for granted. Each time we walked outside felt like we were on a Hollywood set. The Pantheon is even grander at night when the tourists are gone. The area is great for roaming-we walked to Trestevere, the Vatican, the Spanish Steps,the Jewish Quarters, the Coliseum and everywhere in between. Plaza Navonna , Campo di Fiori , and the Trevi fountain were all close enough to wonder to at night. The choices of restaurants just near the hotel are plentiful. As another TA reviewer mentioned, there is a little market just 3 minutes walking from the hotel- just ask the front desk. Great place to pick up some waters, wine and cheeses for the room. , And what can be better than walking out of your hotel to find the best coffee almost next door? I’d give up my 5 star hotels every time to stay at the Albergo.The only fault that I could find is that they didn’t put those delicious chocolates on our pillows on 2 separate evenings.…. So, my friend was right…..cancel your 5 star reservations and book early to get the Seminario suite!

Room Tip: book the Seminario suite- what a treat!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank whenzuc
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed for one night in March before a Mediterranean cruise, and it was the best hotel I've stayed at in a long time! The best I've ever enjoyed in Europe.

We checked in and the staff was friendly, approachable, and wanting to help us in every way (dining, luggage, taxis, etc.). The bathroom amenities were wonderful, and the views from our room was superb! Though we were facing the Pantheon and the Piazza, when the window was closed it was quite quiet.

Breakfast in the morning was wonderful and filling. LOVE this hotel!

1  Thank TravelByCastle_13
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed here at the end of November and are looking forward to returning the beginning of May.

It's all been said before but this little gem of a hotel will bring you back once you stay. The location is perfect and the staff is so kind and helpful they make it feel like your home away from home.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple