“Exceeded Expectations”

Ranked #11 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Houston
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Neither of us had traveled to Europe before so we did as much research as we could. Our only concern was that my husband would not fit in the rooms very comfortably (regardless of hotel) as all the advice was how small European rooms were compared to the typical American hotel room. My husband is tall and thin - he is 6'8. Due to reviews, this was my number one pick based on location alone and it was better than expected!! Our room was on the third floor and overlooked Piazza del Rotunda and the Pantheon!! The noise from the square didn't travel too far and never prevented us from getting sleep. The bed was bigger than an American queen but smaller than an American king - my husband had no problem fitting! Space was limited, but it all the major necessities (a/c, private bathroom with shower and bath, safe in closet, minifridge) - what more could one ask for? The week we were there, our tour guide said Rome was in an unusual heat wave (our room stayed very cool - so no problem with the a/c). Being from Texas, we thought they were crazy! Yes, it was hot as you were walking around in the sun, but it was very bearable and crossing the street and walking in the shade solved that problem! For us, the weather was perfect! We had a bottle of champagne waiting when we returned to our room on our first day. I can't say enough about their complimentary breakfast. Cheeses, meats, fruit, cereals, oatmeal/grains, eggs, breads. It was quite enjoyable - even for an American! I didn't have their coffee because the Italians are known for their cappucinos - and they were great! The staff was beyond exceptional. We started and ended each night on the roof top terrace. Words cannot say how beautiful the view was!! Our last night there we wanted to splurge on a nice restaurant. The front desk called a couple of restaurants, asked about wait time and made a reservation for us at the location that had the shortest wait! By the time we arrived (5 minutes) our table was ready! We did take advantage of the market (small grocery store) around the corner. We bought two large bottles of water there our first day and then continued to refill them at all of the aqua-ducts that are scattered across the city. The reviews are not misleading when they say that the location is the best. My husband and I were able to walk everywhere we wanted!! We also booked private tours of the main sites we wanted to see (Vatican and Ancient Rome) and after seeing what it COULD have been like without it, are so glad we spent the extra money - it made Rome so much more personal! Whether you need information regarding a cab, tour, cheap or expensive local cuisine, exchange booths, wine, etc the staff was the first place we went and got all of our answers! Cleaniness, service, location, amenities truly were fantastic. We are already planning a return to Rome next year with family and have already told everyone we know that we will be staying here!! We did take two cab rides while there and each time we spent less than 9 euros, including tip - so I think we lucked out with not being "taken" by either one of our cab drivers. They did have a computer downstairs although my husband was able to print off our return boarding passes on the staff computer - how fantastic!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aroulaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in room 603. The room was immaculate, spacious but the best thing was the view!!! Wow! The location is close to everything, staff extremely helpful. The only negative was the roofdeck was only open for 1 of the 3 nights, although it was cloudy it was not raining.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Beautiful, comfortable rooms, impeccable service, delicious breakfast and a truly heart stopping view right outside your window. If you have only a little time to stay in Rome, this is a place that will let you savor every moment. Where else could you lie in bed and watch lightning crash over the Pantheon?

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
connecticut
Reviewed 24 June 2009

This hotel went beyond what i expected in a european hotel. It had a comfortable and quiet rooms.Youcould reach out and almost touch the pantheon. The staff including Mauro and Alessandra did everything they could to make my stay comfortable. They even pulled up the weather report so we new what to wear during the day.the breakfast they offered had a good variety of items so we didn't start out hungary. The easy check in and out gave more time to visit the enormous amounts of shops and sights in the immediate area. This hotel is in the middle of everything in rome. I would never stay in any other hotel in rome if there were a room available in this 57 room hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
US
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I was afraid we wouldn't like Rome- it sounded so chaotic, dirty and crowded but we loved it and I think this hotel and its location was what made us fall in love with the city.

The weather was perfect- end of April- sunny and mild. The hotel arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport. We were surprised as we approached the historic center where the hotel is located how narrow and maize like the streets were- I can't imagine driving here on our own even with GPS.

Rome was very clean and beautiful. As all of the reviewers have said the location is superb and can't be improved upon. We walked past the Spanish Steps and the Borghese Gardens- some good hotels also at those locations but the Pantheon location struck me as the most ideal of all.

Staff was excellent and helpful.
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said by previous reviewers. So just a few minor criticisms:
We loved our pantheon facing room on the 2nd floor? (the only one on floor 2 with a balcony). It was quite small but for a short stay (3 nights) it was fine and the sublime view more than made up for the size. The mattress was very comfortable, however, we got sweaty during the night and I discovered that we were sleeping on a rubber mattress pad! At the prices Albergo del Senato charges, they can afford some thick wool mattress pads which require periodic dry cleaning. Absolutely unfair to subject guests to such discomfort. The top of the pad is covered in a cotton or cloth fabric but after a few hrs the rubber/vinyl ? waterproof material makes its presence known.

Also, speaking of beds- there is a variation among rooms. Ours was comfortable but our friends in a side room had a too hard mattress (they laid on ours to compare) so when you read a comment by some TA reviewers that the bed was too hard they might be right! Also, our friends wanted to economize and although they had the advantage of a quiet room, their side room was small and dark with a claustrophobic feel- not a real window- more of a window well even though they were on the second or third floor. I wish I had a photo-the window was almost like a light shaft- the view was of other sides of the hotel- so close you could almost reach out and touch. They loved the hotel and were happy but I would not have been happy in their room.

Breakfast was pleasant, tasty, adequate but not great. The orange juice tasted like Tang and the fritatta and scrambled eggs were yucky- I recommend sticking with the hard or soft boiled eggs they offer to make for you. Fresh fruit was available and the oranges were delicious so the oj was not a real problem. The pastries were surprisingly good.

Noise: we brought along a white noise machine but it broke. Luckily, we also had ear plugs. The crowds outside on the pantheon square constituted almost a white noise sound of their own and it was fun and lively during the day. At night, when we felt relaxed and happy we had no trouble drifting off to sleep, however, one evening I was mildly annoyed to have my peace punctured by an opera singer practicing outside the pantheon steps around 1 am and other late night revelers.. however, the temp was cool enough that I could shut the balcony doors and go back to sleep.. I think if you are feeling relaxed and peaceful the noise is not a problem but if you are awake and stewing over something the noise could be an issue for some. Or you could get an unusually loud crowd so I recommend bringing both a small travel size white noise machine and ear plugs if you think you might be bothered.

I'm deducting one star from the category "room" due to its small size.

Overall,a fantastic, happy experience! Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Concord, NC
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Located right next to The Pantheon & within 10-15 minute walk from Trevi & The Colosseum (about 45 min walk to The Vatican) & 5 minutes from the bus lines you cannot beat the location. Our room was a good size, not huge but big enough. The nice thing about the Piazza Della Rotunda is that it is large so it doesn't feel so crowded (the one at the Trevi is very small & feels very crowded). Good places to get a quick bite of pizza or gelato in the Piazza as well. Breakfast was good as well. The staff was very helpful with directions & getting us a car to the airport.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We have been to Rome 6 times and travelled extensively throughout Europe. The service and quality standards in this hotel are hard to beat and being 15 mins walk from both the Vatican and Coloseum, it could not be better positioned. We stayed in Room 606 which has its own balcony directly overlooking the Pantheon.

An end of day night cap on the Roof ~Terrace is an absolute must and next time we visit we will consider no other hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family