“Wonderful hotel, great location”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #9 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Vancouver, WA
“Wonderful hotel, great location”
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed 4 nights in a nice suite, #402. The room was large with an excellent view of the Pantheon, there was a separate sitting/bedroom (no view), 2 large closets and large modern bathroom. Very luxurious, lots of woodwork, tasteful cloth wallcoverings and drapes and wood flooring. The hotel was very clean and elegant. Breakfast (included) was very good overall with good selections. The roof bar was very nice, with a great view. Front desk service was very accomodating and helpful. The busy piazza and Pantheon itself really made for an excellent and exciting location, with many good restaurants, cafes, and gelaterias in the immediate area and within walking distance to many major sights. We were totally pleased with our selection of this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
manhattan beach, ca
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I knew this place was going to be in central rome near the pantheon, because of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor, but it is LITERALLY 50 ft from the Pantheon, right in that square, you can just tumble out of your door right into all the action. it's a great location, you can walk everywhere, which we did: coliseum, vatican, trevi fountain, spanish steps, villa borghese...all within walking distance...which is good because taxis are expensive in Rome. Also, 2 of the best cafes are stone's throw away + my favorite gelato place just a couple blocks away. The service was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very comfortable, and there was satellite TV, so it was nice to watch something in english besides BBC world when you wanted to relax in the room a bit for a break. they also had champagne waiting in our room on my birthday. Neither my husband nor I told them it was my birthday, so that was a nice thoughtful touch, they must have noticed it when they made copies of our passports (which all hotels do upon check-in). Complimentary breakfast every morning (or rather it's included in your room charge). they have a roof bar which gives a great view of the Piazza della Rotunda below as well as of Rome. Rooms were very clean, it was a very nice hotel, money well spent. We would definitely stay here again! Only thing that might be nice in Rome in summer would be to have a pool because it was so hot!

1 Thank tjoneser
midwest, USA
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Great, great hotel. From top to bottom. Unbeatable location, excellent staff. I would never stay anywhere else while in Rome.

Connecticut
Reviewed 5 July 2009

As others have said earlier, the location of this hotel is unbeatable. It is situated within a 30 minute walk (or short bus/cab ride) to all the major Rome attractions, including the Forum/Colosseum, The Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc. As you walk out the front door of the hotel you are literally steps from the front of the Pantheon, and the vibrant Piazza Pantheon, which bustles with life especially on Friday/Saturday evenings (makes it pretty convenient to grab an espresso, relax listening to various street acts, and then literally walk less than 60 seconds to get to the hotel.
The service at the hotel is also excellent, particularly Mauro and Alessandra at the front desk, both of whom were helpful and very friendly.
The hotel features a lovely rooftop bar that offers a nice view and allows one to experience light breezes, which is often a relief from hot, summer days.
My biggest beef with the hotel was the size of the rooms. We had a so-called triple for my wife, son (9) and I, and we were crammed in. We couldn't even get a chair to fit for the desk , since it left no room to walk past it on the way to the bathroom. The air conditioning vents leaked (and could not be fixed) and the front desk must make changes to the temperature for you if it's more than a degree change from what you want.
The floors were pretty dirty in the room, even after the housekeeping staff cleaned it.

While these latter comments were my negatives, it should not detract one from coming here. It is a great hotel, driven by its location.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dwhir
california
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Spent 4 nights at the Senato in mid-June. Based on Tripadvisor comments I had high expectations, and was not disappointed. The location is excellent, right on the Piazza Rotunda, and athough our room (108) was located toward the front of the hotel, noise from the square was never a problem. The room was on the small side, but average for Italy, and spotlessly clean. My single complaint would be that the mattress was very hard. The bathroom was generously sized with a combo bath/shower and water pressure was excellent. Breakfast is served in a beautiful room, with hot and cold selections. We enjoyed drinks on the roof-top bar ieach evening. There is a taxi stand right across the square and a very nice market down the side street to the left of the McDonald's. Staff were very helpful and assisted us with dinner reservations. We would absolutely stay again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank beaglemomCalifornia
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We stayed here for two nights - our first trip to Rome. We plan to go back just to have the experience of the hotel and surrounding areas again. This is by far my favorite spot of our 14 days in Europe. Everything about this hotel was top notch. I hesitated in writing this review because I wanted to keep this jewel to myself....

Houston
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Neither of us had traveled to Europe before so we did as much research as we could. Our only concern was that my husband would not fit in the rooms very comfortably (regardless of hotel) as all the advice was how small European rooms were compared to the typical American hotel room. My husband is tall and thin - he is 6'8. Due to reviews, this was my number one pick based on location alone and it was better than expected!! Our room was on the third floor and overlooked Piazza del Rotunda and the Pantheon!! The noise from the square didn't travel too far and never prevented us from getting sleep. The bed was bigger than an American queen but smaller than an American king - my husband had no problem fitting! Space was limited, but it all the major necessities (a/c, private bathroom with shower and bath, safe in closet, minifridge) - what more could one ask for? The week we were there, our tour guide said Rome was in an unusual heat wave (our room stayed very cool - so no problem with the a/c). Being from Texas, we thought they were crazy! Yes, it was hot as you were walking around in the sun, but it was very bearable and crossing the street and walking in the shade solved that problem! For us, the weather was perfect! We had a bottle of champagne waiting when we returned to our room on our first day. I can't say enough about their complimentary breakfast. Cheeses, meats, fruit, cereals, oatmeal/grains, eggs, breads. It was quite enjoyable - even for an American! I didn't have their coffee because the Italians are known for their cappucinos - and they were great! The staff was beyond exceptional. We started and ended each night on the roof top terrace. Words cannot say how beautiful the view was!! Our last night there we wanted to splurge on a nice restaurant. The front desk called a couple of restaurants, asked about wait time and made a reservation for us at the location that had the shortest wait! By the time we arrived (5 minutes) our table was ready! We did take advantage of the market (small grocery store) around the corner. We bought two large bottles of water there our first day and then continued to refill them at all of the aqua-ducts that are scattered across the city. The reviews are not misleading when they say that the location is the best. My husband and I were able to walk everywhere we wanted!! We also booked private tours of the main sites we wanted to see (Vatican and Ancient Rome) and after seeing what it COULD have been like without it, are so glad we spent the extra money - it made Rome so much more personal! Whether you need information regarding a cab, tour, cheap or expensive local cuisine, exchange booths, wine, etc the staff was the first place we went and got all of our answers! Cleaniness, service, location, amenities truly were fantastic. We are already planning a return to Rome next year with family and have already told everyone we know that we will be staying here!! We did take two cab rides while there and each time we spent less than 9 euros, including tip - so I think we lucked out with not being "taken" by either one of our cab drivers. They did have a computer downstairs although my husband was able to print off our return boarding passes on the staff computer - how fantastic!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple