“Fabulous hotel. Great Position”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #10 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I stayed here for my freinds wedding in Rome and whatever the reason for your trip I would highly recommend this hotel. Its situated in the sqaure which includes The Panthenon and the hotel has a roof top terrace with a bar, so you can sit and watch the amazing sunsets overlooking The Panthenon, which when lit up at night is beautiful and just watch the world go by. The rooms are comfortable and clean, reasonable size but in Rome the rooms won't be large so be warned. Breakfast was continental style and if you don't fancy that just outside of the hotel in the square there are a variety of restaurants too. Just around the corner is an amazing ice-cream parlour which is a must. As in Rome.......

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank maffei40
There are newer reviews for Albergo del Senato

Reviewed 20 April 2010

The Albergo is a classic hotel without a huge price tag. Its location, in the Piazza della Rotonda right beside the Pantheon, puts it in the very centre of historic Rome. Its front rooms look right onto the facade of the Pantheon, and its rooftop bar is a great place to relax and enjoy views over the domes of Rome at the end of a busy day. Right outside the hotel's door, the Piazza del Rotonda is full of famous sights (see http://www.romeartlover.it/Vasi25.htm for a description) and all the legendary sights of Rome are an easy walk away ... The Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and of course the Ancient Roman Forum. Even The Vatican is walkable if you're fit. The hotel is also close to The Corso and all its shops. We had no trouble booking a front room via the internet. It was comfortable; had a bath and a safe; and looked right onto the Pantheon and the Piazza del Rotonda. It's big windows opened onto an excellent view (see photos) but thick curtains helped make it quiet at night. We loved it. The Albergo also welcomed us with an excellent breakfast room downstairs in the morning. It has an ancient fluted marble column in its centre, and a large selection of delicious food at one end. The Albergo staff are courteous and endlessly helpful (thank you Alex). Their advice was wise and their restaurant suggestions were invariably good. In short, we had a wonderful stay and heartily recommend the Albergo del Senato to all. It's in an old palace, with a tiny slow lift; but you'd have to be a real grump if you didn't enjoy these old touches in a city as old as Rome. They add to the flavour of our favourite hotel in Rome ... and we'll happily return every time we visit the Eternal City.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank onero
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Upon our arrival to Rome we stayed two nights at Albergo del Senato before our trip to Venice. When we returned to Rome from Venice, we stayed another two nights - and wished we could have stayed longer! This hotel is located right on Piazza della Rotonda - directly across from the Pantheon. The location is outstanding and convenient to most everything in the historic center of Rome. It's a short walk to the taxi stand - or a short walk to the bus stop.

Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. We took the elevator up to our room - 202 - a corner room with windows on each side. The room was beautifully decorated - it had a nice desk - a walk-in closet and plenty of room for hanging clothes. There was also a mini-refrigerator stocked with bottled water, juices, etc. The bathroom was modern and beautiful. Towels were replaced during the day when the maids cleaned the room. At night, the maids turned down the bed and laid chocolate near the pillows. The bed was comfortable - but the pillows were very firm. I looked in the closet for another pillow - and luckily I found a nice soft feather pillow that was stored in a plastic bag - it was perfect. The hotel provides slippers to its guests - and each night they put the slippers next to the bed with a little floor mat with the words - Good Night - Buona Notte - embroidered into the mat. Such a nice touch!

The room had a flat screen tv - with a good selection of English-speaking channels, including Fox, BBC and ESPN. My husband caught parts of American baseball games while we were there.

Upon our return to Rome from Venice, we checked in and we were given room 402 - a two bedroom suite. It was more beautiful than the first room - and definitely much larger. There were his and hers amenities that included brush, comb, toothbrush/paste, all contained in a beautiful gold fabric drawstring sack. The bathroom had a rainshower faucet and a full bathtub - along with beautiful plush bathrobes.

The breakfast each day was good with a nice selection of pastries, fruit, cereal, meats, cheeses, juice, coffee, etc.

What makes this hotel special is the service provided by the front-desk staff. They are warm and welcoming - and they try very hard to please. I would go back right now if I could - and would highly recommend this hotel to others.

The only disappointment was the fact that the roof-top bar was not open in April - so we'll just have to plan a return trip so that we can experience the view of the Pantheon from above!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bab0706
Reviewed 14 April 2010

I booked Albergo after reading reviews online here and also elsewhere on the web. I wanted a centrally-located hotel with full services. While the hotel does not offer a full restaurant, the breakfast is included (delicious and sufficient) and they are accommodating about providing tea, etc. in the afternoon.
The view is astounding, and while the room I stayed in (which had not been renovated) would not qualify as a 3-star hotel in the U.S., it was clean and perfectly adequate (although the shower needs some work!) There are shutters to reduce the noise from the piazza below, which can be considerable, but I am a light sleeper and it never affected me. The bed is rock-hard, however, so if you need a little cushion, grab the duvet from the closet and place it under the sheet.
What makes this hotel so terrific is the service. At every turn, the staff are kind, welcoming, and accommodating of every need. I consulted them for directions, recommendations, travel advice, and they could not have been kinder. From the chamber maid to the front desk clerk, I felt that everyone in the hotel did everything they could to make my stay an enjoyable one. Mauro, especially, went out of his way to find charming places for me to dine.
I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank BuffCrone
Reviewed 14 April 2010

I selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor and the location. I loved this hotel! The location is superb. It is in the city center or Rome and in front of the best preserved Roman monument the Pantheon-A roman symbol. The the front reception staff impressed me. Mauro and Alessandra were most helpful during our visit. They recommended great places to eat at night. Amongst the best recommendations was Osteria del Sostengo in Via delle Colonnelle which we visited twice. The Albergo has an excellent breakfast that includes bread, an egg dish, fruits, juice, meats, cheese and excellent made at the moment cappuccino, coffee, etc. Adem in the breakfast area most graciously prepared many cappuccinos for us! We stayed in a triple room (110) we were traveling with our daughter. It faced a busy small street and Rome is very busy in April so at times it was loud but if the window was closed the noise was to a minimum. The hotel must be well insulated because we heard no noise from the other rooms at any time. My parents were staying at a room facing the Pantheon (104)--gorgeous room. The rooms were very clean and the maintenance staff takes pride in what they do. This is a small hotel but they really take pride in what they do. It has a small bar that serves drinks in the afternoon until 11:30 pm. Claudio was working at the bar while we were visiting and he was very gracious with my parents (hot chocolate for my mother, Remy Martins for my dad and wine for me!). He made the end of a long day very pleasant for us. In summary I really enjoyed my stay at the Albergo del Senato. I would stay again at this location if visiting Rome for pleasure and for a vacation.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank petvetcookies
Reviewed 10 April 2010

We had a room overlooking the dome of the Pantheon, which is indescribable! I wanted to stay in the hotel almost all the time, just looking down on the Pantheon and the lively square from my window!

The service was first-class, including the breakfast, where staff were always available to get you whatever you wanted and bring it to your table. The staff were very friendly and smiley, and all spoke great English. The rooms were spotless and the bed very comfortable. If I ever return to Rome, and I hope I do, I will not look anywhere else.

P.S. My only disappointment was that their rooftop restaurant was closed when I was there, as it only opens in the summer season.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank firsttimetraveller40
Reviewed 7 April 2010

What can you say? Superb location and nothing at all to point the finger at. The staff and service at this hotel is fantastic. Its not the cheapest hotel in Rome of course, but its worth every Euro.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple