“Will stay here every time I am in Rome!”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #11 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Will stay here every time I am in Rome!”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This place is a gem! Really incredible! It has everything going for it. Location. Wonderfully friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful rooms. Splendid views. NIce breakfast. Everything was just perfect! And what's amazing is that I can say this even though they messed up my reservation. I reserved a double, and requested two beds (I was with my 10 year-old son). Somehow when assigning rooms they missed the two bed request and assigned us a double. Because the hotel was full they were unable to accommodate the two bed request for our first night (but could move us to the two bed room our second night). I was a little frustrated, but I also realize this was a simple human error that unfortunately happened when the hotel was fully booked. The man who checked us in was clearly bothered by this mistake and was doing everything in his power to make it right. In the end we took the double one-bedded room for the first night and the two-bedded room for the second night and without my asking they offered a pretty significant discount off each night for my troubles. In the end I felt like I got a good deal. Both rooms were beautiful, and then I got a discount that was enough to pay for all our meals for the three days we were in Rome and I was beginning to feel like I was glad for the mistake! The staff were also so pleasant and welcoming at every turn. They were fun with my 10 year-old helping him learn some Italian and lent him a Rome for Kids book. They made us feel so welcome. The rooms were incredible. We were in superior rooms, one on the top floor and one on one floor down. Both were lovely. Very luxurious for a small boutique hotel. Nice touches. Views over the Pantheon were surreal! Breakfast was very nice. Lots of great options. The location cannot be overstated. It is the best in Rome in my opinion. Stay here!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank roeshan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

A professional guide that we used encouraged us to stay at this hotel over a larger and higher rated one. We took her advice and glad that we did.

First of all, its location can't be beat. There must be 50 restaurants within a ten minute walk, most of which are great cafes with exceptional food. Second, the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Third the room was good too. Great view on the plaza and Pantheon (literally next door).

I believe that this is a 3-star hotel (we usually prefer a higher rating) but in this case don't let their rating direct you to another choice. We are selective in hotel choices and recommend this one.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank njp51
near London, UK
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I tend to avoid the tourist traps when holidaying in cities, but this was an exception. It was right on the Piazza della Rotunda, looking at the unbelievable Pantheon. The hotel's appearance echoed the lovely Renaissance buildings that surrounded this buzzing but lovely square, and the inside was as beautiful as the outside.
The staff, from reception to chamber maid, were charming, helpful and efficient.
I arrived a few days before my husband, and the first room had no wifi signal. It was an inside room, so a little gloomy, too. I took my courage in my hands, and asked the first morning if they had an alternative (I did need to use my computer during my stay). There was no hastle, the showed me a new room on the refurbished floor, and it was perfect: bright, with windows opening over the Pantheon itself, and quieter. It also had perfect wifi reception. The rest of the stay was on the same lines.
Nothing, really, was too much trouble. The receptionists were all multilingual, too, but willing to indulge our efforts to try the odd Italian words.
And make sure you visit the roof bar. At night, you can see an illuminated St Peters and the rest of Rome laid before you. Worth the stay on its own.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marianne53
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Excellent hotel to which I wish to return once again. Huge numbers, ideal service. Huge balcony in number. Went with the child what problems were not. A meal wide choice at restaurant. Had perfectly a rest. Especially many thanks to our operator http://www.tripcatcher.ru for the picked up tour. If you go from Moscow call to them: conveniently, качетвенно, the pro)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We are 2 friends from New York visting Rome for the first time for vacation. Both of us have traveled extensively around the US and a good amount in Europe. We scheduled the pick up service from the airport which was a very welcome service after the overnight flight from JFK. Rooms were spacious and very clean. Housekeeping kept the rooms very clean daily as well. Staff was friendly and very helpful... thanks Mario, Alexandra, Luca and Luigi for dealing with us Americans! This hotel was in walking distance of all the major sights including Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi, and Colesseum. Taxi's were easily optained outside as well. The Pantheon square directly in front of the hotel offered many casual dining options as well as convenient outside pre-dinner cocktails for tired tourists, not too mention awesome views and enjoyable people watching. All of the streets around this area had casual dining options if you didn't want to make reservations.. you were able to get a table easily before 8...locals eat later... but after walking and touring all day this was convenient. The hotel breakfast was very convenient as well. The only downside, if you can call it that, was the square outside is very busy and tends to be a lively at all times except early am... I am a light sleeper but the location and clean rooms trumped any sleeping issues...Overall, this hotel was really a great find!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Just spent 5 nights at this hotel & could not be happier. Great staff,nice rooms & amazing location. The staff at the hotel were so nice & friendly we did not want to leave. They told us of great places to eat & were always very helpful. The location is outstanding. Although they told us they had no rooms with a Pantheon view we still could see it from our room.
Really loved this hotel & they got us transport from the airport when we arrived. 55 Euro for the driver from the airport but well worth it. Nice driver & nice car. We will return.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
mobile, al
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This was my third trip to Rome. We decided on Albergo Del Senato because of the fabulous location and the positive reviews here and on other sites. We were not disappointed! In fact, I have been online today, looking into booking another stay there. It seems that the best price is with the hotel website. I booked with the hotel website last time, also.
The location is perfect, of course. The staff was the friendliest I've found in Europe...gracious, helpful, always pleasant. The room was not large, but attractive and very clean.
The complimentary breakfast was typical, but nice. The only negative I can think of is that the rooftop area was closed when we were there (the last of Feb and first of March). I believe it is not open during the colder months.
I like to look for the best rates and have actually have been pleased with other hotels I've stayed in while in Rome, but this one is my favorite.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends