“Great stay and great location”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #9 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great stay and great location”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Albergo del Senato is in a fantastic location in Rome. It is so central that we walked to everything...even the Vatican. It is close to nice areas such as Campo Di Fiore and Piazza Navona. The room was beautiful but small, and the view was phenomenal! We requested a pantheon view room and fortunately one was available. I could never get tired of that awesome view. Breakfast was nice with meats, pastries, fruits, scrambled eggs and cappuccino. The dinner recommendations were wonderful: we ate at Hosteria Costanza (our favorite), Le Volte, and La Virginae. The staff was helpful but a little bit stuffy compared to the staff at the other hotels we stayed at. That's really the only negative thing I could say...it was a great choice for us!

1 Thank jen0088

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Llanelli Wales
Reviewed 6 June 2010

superb hotel in excellent location. Staff very helpful. Wouldn't hesitate to return and would happily recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Cotswolds
Reviewed 5 June 2010

An excellent hotel in an ideal location. Very friendly staff, spotlessly clean, just lovely.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Santa Clara
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We LOVED Albergo del Senato and will plan to stay there again next time we travel to Rome. I think it was a big part of why we enjoyed Rome so much. I had sent the hotel an email when I booked the room asking if they could give us a room with a view of the Pantheon because it was our wedding anniversary and I wanted to surprise my husband since neither of us had been to Rome before. At the time, they said they could not accommodate us but when we arrived - guess what? They not only had a room with a view waiting for us (and we checked in quite early - 11 am or so) but also a bottle of champagne on ice! The whole stay really was quite magical. The hotel is right next to the Pantheon, see attached photos for a view of it and the square below from our room–(taken from room #406). We could open the window, lean out and see everything going on in the square (including a movie being made, a Gaza protest with hundreds of protesters, etc). It was in a superb location so everything we wanted to see during our 3 days was within a half hour walk. The staff was very friendly, spoke excellent English, was extremely accommodating – even brought us a scale to weigh our luggage. The room was impeccably clean, and to top it all off they have a very quaint terrace bar on the rooftop. (It would have been nice if they had a bar/tables outside the hotel on the sidewalk as others do). They also served a very nice breakfast with freshly baked yummy pastries, sliced fruit, cereals, eggs, yogurt, cheeses, breads, meats, but get there early because they don't replenish the food once it's gone (at least they didn't appear to). They are a 3 star but are working on getting their 4 star certification. I’m sure their prices will go higher when they get the 4 star rating but I thought it was reasonable in comparison to other hotels I reviewed – roughly $300 a night. I did have a problem charging my computer - the problem was likely my converter. It charged our cell phone just fine but not my netbook so I had to use the computer in their lobby (they have free internet if you have your own computer, otherwise you pay 3 Euros (roughly $4) for 30 minutes. A tip regarding restaurants in Rome - before you sit down ask the waiter if they charge a bread fee (not every restaurant charges a bread fee) and a service fee. If they say "yes" to the service fee, ask "how much" and whether or not that goes to the waiter or the owner. I thought I had asked all the right questions at one restaurant after being duped at others (one restaurant charged us 6 Euros ($8) for a couple pieces of bread that I didn't even eat) and although the restaurant said there was no bread charge but they did have a 10% service charge, I thought that would be fine since I would have left a 10% tip anyway but when we paid, the same guy then told us the service charge goes to the owner and they (the waiters) get nothing expecting me to then leave more money for him, which I did but I was not happy that it felt deceitful. Italians generally don't tip but I think they expect Americans to tip - I've read that 5-10% is appropriate. Great city. It was not "just a big, dirty city" as several people had told me before we left - I didn't get that feeling at all. I think it had everything to do with the location of Albergo del Senato. It is very clean and quaint in that area of Rome. You really cannot go wrong booking a room at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mollsker
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 31 May 2010

This is a lovely three star hotel with a bright future given its location and most of all absolutely amazing staff! My husband and I travel considerably and have come to realize that the best hotels are made up of great staff and service. We give this hotel a top rating that full satisfied our needs. They were always very warm and so helpful with making all the different bookings in terms of our daily tours whether it be to a museum or the opera or even just a taxi. They were incredibly organized!! Although they worked in shifts, everyone at the front desk was upto date on our requirements and updated us accordingly. The location couldn't be better either! There was entertainment every single night at the Pizza Rotonda which the hotel overlooked along with the Pantheon. We were in 105 right in front of the elevator and just a floor away from all the noise, but it never disturbed us. If I ever went to Rome again, I would waste no time shopping around for hotels - I'd just go t Alberto del Senato.

3 Thank YagaTanzania
Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato for five unforgettable days last month. Our family of four (myself, wife and our two boys ages 14 and 11) had a spacious mini apartment on the first floor. We have never stayed at a hotel so superb in every respect--location, value, decor, on and on. Of all its wonderful attributes, it is the smiling faces of the staff that comes to mind first when I think about our stay at this hotel. From the day we arrived through the morning we had to say goodbye, we found the staff to be wholly dedicated to making us feel at home. If we are ever fortunate enough to return to Rome, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Footnoted
New Hampshire
Reviewed 22 May 2010

My new bride and I spent the first four nights of out honeymoon at Albergo del Senato and couldn't have been happier. The location could not have been better. It is within reasonable walking distance of all we wanted to see: the Vatican, The Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, etc. And the view from our room was spectacular; open the soundproof window and there is the pantheon and the Piazza della Rotonda. While the room was fairly small, it was decorated beautifully. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was quite nice. I would highly recommend this hotel!

2 Thank michuddy