“Location is the only good thing”
Review of Fraterna Domus

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fraterna Domus
Ranked #1,405 of 3,779 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The only good thing I have to say about this place is the location, which is fabulous! We were in very easy walking distance of the main attractions of Rome, including the Vatican City and the Spanish Steps. On the other hand, however, there is nothing else to mention that is positive about this place. Firstly, the rooms are incredibly basic and freezing cold during the night, me and a friend stayed in room 1 and the shower took at least 10 minutes constant running to get at least acceptably warm, which was a pain on a tight schedule. The room was inconsistent also, for example my bed was dressed with two (very itchy and uncomfortable) blankets, whilst my friends had only a sheet! There were also springs poking out of the bed which made it very uncomfortable to sleep in and holes in the wall! The sisters running it were incredibly rude and became very angry and unhappy when you did not feel like eating anymore, they literally forced food on you! On another note, the food was awful and absolute basic at best, and most nights we weren't sure what meat they had put on our plates! Their vegetarian option consisted of fish, so no real vegetarian option, which was disappointing. I understand that the nuns have rules as any hotel would, but they do not understand the market that they are aiming to cater for. If they want tourists to stay with them, they need to prepare for people to want to come back a bit later than 11pm at night, which is when most people will just be getting started! I don't understand why they don't just allow you to come back later but with a promise that you will not return in any state (i.e. drunk) and that you are quiet, and if not then this privilege is revoked. I did not appreciate seeing anti-abortion and other various religious leaflets as soon as i walked in! I understand that the sisters are religious but I do not think this was necessary! The towels that they gave us were hardly big enough to cover my body, which was awkward to say the least, especially when drying long hair. Hairdryer was less than practical considering I had to hold the button constantly to make it work. Electricity plugs and other things were useless! Plugs in the middle of light switches, so lights had to be on in order to charge things, which obviously overnight was awful having to leave big lights on, and only 2/3 plugs worked. Overall, an awful stay, I would never come back here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Emiyl C

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Relatively basic B&B, often used by groups, which may mean high level of noise, people running up and down stairs etc. Rooms OK, all with wc and showers ensuite. Bus stop around the corner. Avoid the very basic breakfast, go to the bar around the corner for a caffè latte and a cornetto instead. Location, on the other hand, is perfect, smack in the middle of central Rome with Piazza Navona just some blocks away, Pantheon just as close and "everything" within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank 676BoL
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We had stayed in a convent previously and had a delightful experience, so we were hoping this would be similar. How wrong! Our room was miniscule with miniscule bathroom. VERY noisy from street noise, I hardly got any sleep (window was closed). We complained to the sisters, and they got defensive and huffy. After much wrangling and unpleasantness, they agreed to let us out of our reservation by paying for one more night as penalty. We did not stay another night, but grabbed our stuff and got out of there & stayed someplace much better nearby!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank vickilh2
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We first stayed at Fraterna Domus in 2006 with the kids (triple room), and this year when I brought my mom to Rome, I could not think of any better place to stay. The location is fabulous, we only walked everywhere for 3 days, never having to take any other mode of transport around the city. Staff very friendly, from the initial emails to sister Milena to daily interactions. We ate dinner at Fraterna Domus the first night, but the food was a little too basic, and we opted for a wonderful restaurant just a few steps away, recommended by the sisters, the other 2 nights.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kj_ta2
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My sister and her husband had never been to Rome before and we wanted to give them a great taste of the wonderful city. Included in this wish was a return visit to Fraterna Domus for evening dinner. We were not disappointed. The welcome was warm and the food delicious. As I understand it, fresh ingredients are purchased each day and the menu depends on what is available. This means that there is choice of soup or Pasta as a starter and then dish of the day. My pasta was lovely and my husband, who chose and had high praise for the soup, also was given some pasta to try. (He had been seen by one of the staff tasting some of mine). The main course was mixed meat kebab and salad. It was one of the best meals I have tasted on my travels round the world. That includes the cruise ship on which we travelled for the next twelve days. We chose a bottle of very good (according to my husband-I don't usually drink wine) Chianti wine at the cost of, about, 15 Euros. However house wine was available at a lower cost. I have to say we had a very enjoyable meal. Thank you to all concerned.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

NOTE: This review is only about the restaurant of Fraterna Domus. We did not stay overnight.

After reading a lot of great reviews, our group of 8 made a reservation and walked a couple of kms to this unassuming place. It was a little confusing when we got there -- hard to determine exactly how to get in, and where to go once we were in, but we eventually figured it out and found our way to the basement dining rooms.

What we experienced were warm, friendly people who were able to talk with us in a few different languages and were keen to see us get our fill of their various homemade dishes.

The dishes seemingly kept coming -- prosciutto, salad, multiple pastas, meat...

It makes for a fantastic deal in terms of volume of food for the money you pay, but I'd say don't go there to get the most ooohhs and ahhhs from the taste. It was good-tasting but perhaps not great-tasting. "Foodies" may not want to put this one on the itinerary.

For us, it made for a very satisfying (and large) lunch that set us up for an afternoon of exploring -- despite the drowsiness that the volume of food induced!

If you need to mix some "good value" meals in to afford splurging on some epicurian indulgences on your trip to Rome, this places can serve that economic roler quite well -- just set expectations accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Doug0nTheRoad
Reviewed 5 June 2013

what we spent, and what we got for what we spent, has become the running joke of our vacation. once the laugh is done, i can't help but feel like this place is symbolic of how some businesses expect tourism to compensate for the weakness of the local, national or regional economy. in this case, we got some basic pasta (the color of sauce was on there, but not much more), about a fistful of chicken, and some fries for 15 euros. everything felt measured and limited. wine was charged separate, again at about 4 times what you'd pay in a store for the same amount of comparable quality. is not like the food was particularly hearty or flavorful. better deals can certainly be found, even in the same neighborhood where you can eat for 10 to 12 euros, flavor included. very disappointing. sad to think nuns have to stoop to overcharging for their meager offerings in order to make ends meet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family