“It is the best hotel in Rome”
Review of Hotel Hassler

Hotel Hassler
Ranked #37 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The staff at the Hasssler could not have been more helpful. They went out of the way to make our stay a pleasant one. The hotel is very exclusive and yes many famous people stay there. The police out the front and the odd viewing of the said famous people reinforce this. It is thoroughly charming and very picturesque.

It is also not as super expensive as the best hotels of Paris, New York, Tokyo or London.

BUT you really need to choose your room. Lesson 1 - there are rooms that are renovated and rooms that are not! They quickly moved us to a better room from our un-renovated monster which was lovely of them because I was going to cry if I had to stay in room105. They also moved us to an even more modern room on the second day while we were out segwaying! Lesson 2 - don't ask for the view of the Spanish steps. The garden view rooms were all booked out for a reason. Rome is noisy ( we had a car alarm keep us awake for an hour one night) and the road at the top of the Spanish steps/ the base of the hotel is a very busy one, strangely. Go to the restaurant Imago to experience the view!

The standard of luxury hotels in Rome is not what I would expect in a major tourist destination. We have stayed in one other on a previous occasion and walking the streets as you do in this city, it becomes pretty clear that there is a certain rustic charm to all of the hotels. You have to accept that you are going to get character. So, what should you get from my review?

I really do believe that the Hassler is one of the best that Rome has to offer and the service was flawless, but make sure you ask for what you want. Is a modern bathroom important? Do you expect a renovated room? You can only ask. We did, and the staff were stunning in trying to accommodate our needs.

Room Tip: Internal room- ask for renovated only!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tania_Chris
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hassler

Reviewed 18 May 2011

Nothing much to say but The Hotel Hassler meets its reputation of being the BEST hotel.

The staff are warm, friendly, helpful and attentive. Nothing can beat the location. It is just perfect!
The room which we had was elegantly designed, and very clean. Very quiet, one can sleep soundly especially that the bed is comfortable.

I would definitely go back to The Hotel Hassler and recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carabao73
Reviewed 15 May 2011

My husband and I and my extended family used this hotel as a base when celebrate our wedding in Rome last here. We chose the Hassler because of its position (we were getting married at a venue nearby) and were immediately by the views, the standards of the rooms and the levels of service.
However, as I got ready for the wedding in this hotel, we order room service for lunch - I think it was 4 sandwiches, 2 portions of chips and some sparkling water - the bill came to over €80... Also, I used the hairdresser and make up artist from the hotel and it was a bit of a nasty surprise. He ended up charging almost 4 times what he had originally quoted and my hair came undone whithin half an hour of me walking down the aisle.
Having said this, I would highly recommend the Hassler to anybody looking for an amazing location and romantic, sweeping views across Rome

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank valepix
Reviewed 25 April 2011

If you like a classic European Grand Hotel, this is the one. Of course you find corners, which could use some attention. Of course the bathrooms are not up-to-date (you have to step into a bathtub to take a shower) - but the atmosphere, the location and the service is immaculate. I love this place. And don't forget to have a drink in one of the nicest bars in the world before going to sink into your great bae with wonderful linens.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank tjacobi
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I spent four days in Rome and decided to book the Hassler through my Virtuoso travel agent. The Hassler is expensive, but the hotel came well-recommended and Virtuoso guests are usually privy to upgrades.

The Hassler is a lovely if smallish old property with a prime location near the Spanish Steps. When I arrived, they showed me my upgrade. A tiny room on the second floor overlooking the street. (Nice bedspread and a wall hanging, but subpar in terms of size and amenities. In a word, disappointing.) It was noisy, and I wouldn't have been able to sleep. They then offered me my "original room", which they said was one of their new ones. This one was on the first floor and overlooked their restaurant courtyard.

I am a world traveler. I have stayed at rooms in luxury hotels all over the world. This was the smallest, saddest room I have ever seen. 225-250 square feet, with adjoining bathroom. Walls painted white. No decorations. Small plasma. Quite simply, an outrage. I was told this was the only other room they had available. They were sold out. But since I was there for four nights, they would try to move me. I took the room because it was quiet. (The woman at the hotel front deskl said "No one told us you wanted a quiet room.")

I contacted my travel agent. She said she would talk to the hotel. That day, radio silence from the Hassler. Then, the next night -- halfway into my stay -- a bottle of wine and some chocolates appeared with a note: "Sorry you are unhappy with your room. We will try to move you as soon as something else becomes available."

And that was the last I heard from the good people at the Hassler. Four nights, 600 plus per night, and a room that would have angered you had you been given it at a Motel 6. All of which left me feeling cynically exploited and ruined my stay.

Now, the Hassler does have some very lovely rooms. I know, because I saw them. But perhaps if you are not paying 1000 a night, you don't get them. Nearby, for less money, you can stay at the Sofitel and the Eden, and get fantastic rooms.

The apathy, unfortunately, extended to the concierge. When I arrived, I explained that I like eating at Michelin star restaurants. But given the fact that I was exhausted, could he recommend something local? He packs me off to a nearby place that specialized in meat. The place was overrun with Americans. What's worse -- it was so crowded that despite my "reservation", I couldn't even get the restaurant to take my name. (A passing waiter said the restaurant was "on fire", a reference to how busy it was.) So after fifteen minutes, I walked back to the hotel and got the concierge to make a reservation at another local restaurant. I got a table promptly. But the food was mediocre. On the plus side, they have wireless internet -- for $28/night.

My advice is to make damn sure about the room you are getting before you book a reservation. And if you are not a VIP or a dignitary -- or paying a king's ransom --do not expect to be treated well.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank nylatraveller
Reviewed 13 March 2011

This hotel was sort of a disappointment. I was originally put in a standard room that was really dated and the bed was saggy. Due to a noxious odor that caused
my eyes to water i was placed in a room that had been updated. What a difference that made. If they had not moved me to the updated room i would have moved to another hotel. The location is the only part of this hotel I thought was top notch.

• Stayed: March 2011
8  Thank TexasGal7890
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Hotel Hassler was perfect in so many ways. Location, Location, Comfort and Service
We used the bikes to spend a wonderful afternoon at the park Borghese. The paths are pedestrian and bike friendly. The museums in the park(may need to buy tickets in advance!) are wonderful and the scenery and gardens second to none. I highly suggest this.
The view out our window of the spanish steps was great! Great view of the Vatican too! (in the distance)
The restaurant at the top of the Hassler was wonderful. The food and service incredible and amazingly not too stuffy.
The rooms are very clean and well maintained and accomodations very comfortable. Many european and american ammenities.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business