“Amazing Property, but Make Sure You Dress the Part”
Review of Hotel Hassler

Hotel Hassler
Ranked #32 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
New York City, New York
“Amazing Property, but Make Sure You Dress the Part”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

After an aborted attempt last summer to find a decent B&B in Rome (see our other reviews on the subject), we decided to go in the complete opposite direction this time and stay in a 5-star hotel. The Hassler, by and large, lived up to its reputation and our expectations, with a few caveats.

As usual, we had a car, so that presented an issue, as it always does in Rome. Finding anything in Rome is pretty much always a hassle with a vehicle. GPS’s rarely work perfectly and roads are a crazy mess of one-way streets and alleys that just end (even when your GPS says you should be able to drive through). We spent our normal “find the hotel” quest weaving around the busy streets and finally figured out where the hotel was. The doormen were great and they helped us clear out the car and then put the car in valet parking. We entered the hotel and encountered our first bit of oddness.

We should point out here that just prior to coming up to the hotel, we had spent a good portion of the day hiking around the ruins in Pompeii. In hiking clothes. In the rain. And then made the 3 hour drive north to Rome. So, we were not exactly looking our Sunday best at this point. We stood around in the lobby for a bit (with all our belongings piled up in a corner) and tried to figure out what to do next. There were two people at the front desk who took one look at us and must have decided we were in the wrong place (also, to be fair, we drove up in a rental Fiat, which was now parked outside next to the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mercedes, etc.). It was fairly clear that no one was going to help us voluntarily, so I finally asked one of the desk clerks whether we could check in. She kind of looked at me with a raised eyebrow and agreed to look up our names. We should also note that we had not booked a cheap room – we enjoy our luxury accommodations and had chosen one of their higher end suites. Despite that, as she was describing the hotel amenities, she continually made it a point to tell us that “a certain dress code is expected”. Now, we understand that a higher end establishment likes to keep up good appearances, and we do bring nice clothing along for these occasions, but there are many people who can afford nice accommodations AND like to adventure, so we were disappointed in them treating us like vagabonds as they escorted us to an extremely expensive room.

The room itself was exquisite. Amazingly appointed with tasteful art, a beautiful bed, excellent amenities, a balcony overlooking the square, a large, luxurious bathroom – the reputation the Hassler has for excellence is well deserved. Our escort showed us all the amenities of the room, how to use the services, and the bellhop brought up all our bags and belongings. We enjoyed getting cleaned up after a day of adventure and struck out on foot to explore Rome from this area. It should be noted that the Hassler does have bicycles available and can arrange virtually any mode of transit inside the city, but we prefer walking and cabs in Rome, since it is always difficult to do anything with a bike or car when you reach your destination. Thankfully, the Hassler also provides umbrellas and the doorman graciously provided us with a couple as we strode into the rainy evening.

The Hassler is situated above the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Trinità dei Monti – it is truly a gorgeous setting! We walked down the steps and looked around the area and found a nice place to eat (we were kind of put off from eating in the hotel, since they told us so many times that their dining room required a certain dress code, as they looked scornfully at our hiking clothes from the day). The hotel nicely located in the center of the city and most of the major attractions are within a 15 minute walk of the hotel. There are a couple notable exceptions, such as the Colosseum, but there are so many things you can walk to from the Hassler, you won’t tire of things to do. The second day, we spent mostly at the Vatican, enjoying our favorite gelaterias, and strolling through the area around Trevi Fountain. On our last day, we visited the Colosseum before we left for the airport. We have been to Rome many times and, while there is always some curve ball that Rome will throw your way, it is a city we never get bored with and always find new things to explore. It is so rich with history and legend, you can’t help to dig into something that interests you with each visit.

The breakfast at the hotel was very good. We enjoyed it and were able to get everything we could have wanted. It was a pleasant surprise in a big hotel to see attention to detail with the courses and that everything was appropriately made on the premises.

In all, the Hassler is a superb hotel. We enjoyed it thoroughly, with our only real issue being their condescending attitude. When you are spending that kind of money on a hotel room you should be able to walk in the door wearing either a 3-piece suit and shorts and a t-shirt and expect the same, professional level of service. In this day and age, they should know that you cannot judge a person by the clothes on their back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Steph_Richardson
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having decided to share your comments about your stay at the Hassler last December and for the time you took to give us so much detail.

I am very concerned with the issue you had upon arrival and have urgently shared the comments with all concerned, asking for the attention and professional behaviour I expect each and every one of my guests to experience. So, please rest assured that I have given my full attention to your remarks and am doing everything possible to always offer the ambience I desire, but absolutely never offend anyone in any way.

Having said this, I would also like you to try to consider that I have a certain obligation towards guests who come to the Hassler to experience its unique legendary atmosphere, which is based on its very traditions.

On a closing note I hope that during some future opportunity you get to return to Rome you do decide to stay at the Hassler and allow my team to demonstrate our renowned care and attention capable of meeting and exceeding your expectations.

President and Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2013

It was our second stay so far and we are planning to come back next year as well. Rome’s most distinguished address is set atop the Spanish Steps, within walking distance of the Villa Borghese park, Via Veneto, Via Condotti, and all fashionable boutiques, dining...etc. Everything was great throughout the whole stay. First of all we got a complimentary upgrade. Our room was a lot bigger and fancier the one we booked, so it was really nice of them to do so. Room was done in soft elegant beige colors with luxury furnishings and accessories. And it had everything we needed from complimentary water to a great variety of mini bar. The bedding was lovely and our bath was a good size with all you'd need. It is a true 5 star hotel with a 5 star guest treatment. The classically-decorated Salone Eva restaurant and the Hassler Bar where we had our breakfasts and lunch a few times. Everything I had was truly delicious. We also stopped for a glass of Prosecco and some olives on the way out to dinner and enjoyed live piano music in the evening.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen34438
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to express my pleasure in being able to number you as one of our regular guests and to thank you also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

All remarks I receive from my clients, are very much appreciated and a necessary tool to understand if I succeed in my aim to render each and every stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. In this specific instance, your fidelity is the proof that this goal has in some way been accomplished.

Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The very essence of class, this is wonderful hotel in every respect until you get into bed. King bed seem to be two single mattresses with a ridge in the centre and pillows are so soft and old-fashioned offering zero support. This is one of the few remaining privately owned and managed luxury hotels, so the owner should take a trip to a Four Seasons, Sheraton, Sofitel, or even Hilton to discover proper mattresses and pillows. Great food, great service, wonderfully decorated bedrooms.

Room Tip: Do not book unless they give a guarantee of a bed in which you can sleep.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank JHMH1959
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I was sorry to learn that the bedding was not to your satisfaction. I do thank you however for having brought to my attention your personal opinion. Every individual opinion helps me to implement changes to constantly improve.

Ioannina, Greece
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I went to Rome on a bussines trip for 4 days and we stayed in Hotel Hassler. The experience was very interesting! The building is very beautiful inside and outside eventhough it is quite old. The food and the coffee were excellent but overprised, i believe. The service was very friendly and kind. The best thing in Hotel Hassler was the bed! It was the first time in my life that i appreciated a good mattress. It was very hard for me to leave the bed everymorning. And i am not a sleepy person!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Maro P
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your note about the food, our service and the comfortable bed gave me great satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I recently (January, 2013) spent 5 days at the Hassler Hotel. The location is great if you are into shopping.
I found it too expensive, especially the breakfast (45 euros per person...which is ridiculous) and the bar.
Of course, the rooms are very charming and the service is great.... but definatelly my type of hotel.
Ask for the older and better decorated rooms.
Regards,
Pedro

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pedro R
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having decided to share your comments about your stay at the Hassler.

Positive comments are always a pleasure to address, but a negative comment becomes a precious tool to constantly improve. In your case the comments were distributed to the various departments in order to review and improve.

In any case, I hope the future reserves you some other occasions to return to Rome and that you decide to return to the Hassler too.

Puerto Rico
Reviewed 24 January 2013

During the 50s and 60s Hollywood had a big influence in Italian tourism due to films like "La Dolce Vita". On those days, many visitors chose to stay in big Dame Hotels like The Excelsior at Via Venetto. Today, Via Venetto and all its wonderful Hotels are always good choices, but the action has moved a bit down the street (hill).

For my trip to Rome, I searched for a 5 star hotel with great location. Every traveler is different and every destinations has its peculiarities. This time, I wanted luxury accommodations on site. The Hassler Rome was a splendid alternative. Clean Renovated Rooms, Excellent Service and Fine Dinning on top of the Spanish Steps. The Hassler is Not a big Dame, it's a charming, exquisite spot in the middle of everything. You can safely walk to Piazzas, monuments and the famous Via Condotti, home street to Channel, Dior, Valentino and other designer boutiques.

Walking is the best way to move around Rome. Location was Priority One. At the Hassler Rome Hotel, we found a safe location to walk anytime of day or night... And for me, safety matters.

I don't recommend this Hotel if internet connection is of importance. They do have difficulties providing this service to their guests. Otherwise, stay at the Hassler, have some coffee or tea in their tea room with the soft sound of Italian music in the background, smoke a cigar or sip some brandy at their cigar bar, just leave everything behind and enjoy La Dolce Vita and the Magnificence of Rome from a privilege hill at The Hassler Rome.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mlmattei
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

It is indeed our constant aim to make our guests feel at home and to render their stay as memorable and comfortable as possible, so you can imagine how glad I am each time a client takes a moment to let me know how much they enjoyed their stay with us. I was sorry tor read about the difficulties you encountered with internet, but please be informed that the whole system is being presently reviewed.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Hotel Hassler is stepping into old world luxury with new world modern conveniences.
Hands down the most comfortable bed/sleeping in our multi city luxury European trip.
Hands down the most wonderful and experienced staff in our multi city luxury European trip.

They have recently upgraded and retained all the old world charm.
The restaurant IMAGO - yes it is expensive - we were there Christmas - but one of the best Michelin star restaurants we have ever had the pleasure to dine at - While the food was fabulous, again we must cite the staff - every single member of the staff from the captain to the servers

The layout of the room (jr suite) was perfect
Maximized the space yet felt roomy

We went all out last year on atrip and stayed at the Ritz Paris before they closed and the HASSLER surpassed the RITZ in service - which is saying something
Cannot recommend highly enough

Expensive and worth every penny

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank A W B
DirezioneHassler, Direttore at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome but also for having taken the time to share your lovely words of appreciation.

My aim as a family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to provide a blend of service and atmosphere, to make you feel that each stay is a home away from home experience and with your comments make me feel that this time I succeeded.

We look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores other opportunities for you to return.

Kindest regards,