Hotel Hassler
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$625
US$414
US$222
  • Breakfast included
Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori(Rome)
US$273
  • Restaurant
US$733
US$443
1,133 results
All reviewsspanish stepsmichelin star restaurantfloor terraceseventh floorconcierge staffluxury hotelwalk in closeteternal citybeautiful hotelvia condottirooftop restaurantdeluxe roombreakfast buffetperfect locationroman holidaypiazza di spagnasmall balcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Lots of hotels advertise their location near the Spanish Steps, but the Hassler is truly the only one literally at the top of the famous steps. The location is perfect---centrally located, with magnificent views of the city-- and is what makes the Hassler so unique, and worth the high price tag. It was fun (and exhausting) to have to climb the steps at some point every day to get back to the hotel. While the lobby is not particulary impressive, our suite (more importantly) was spacious, comfortable and elegant, and the service was attentive and friendly. Would definitely recommend staying at this special hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mmm0692
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Guests,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your beautiful comments of praise.

My aim is to meet every guest’s expectation, so your note about the location, your Suite and the service was gratifying. I was also delighted to know that you would recommend staying at the Hassler.

I look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

Greetings from the Eternal City and kind regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This place was incredible. The service is outstanding, and the staff is so classy and well trained. We loved that it was so close to the Spanish steps and all the great little restaurants and shops in the region. A perfect central locale to explore.. A little pricey, but well worth it.

Room Tip: We had a suite, and it was decorated fabulously
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathon T
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Eternal City!

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your beautiful words of praise about the service, the staff and the location, gave me great satisfaction.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I had high expectation for this hotel, it was the most expensive of our trip. I'm a member of LHW, and with that comes an automatic upgrade (if it's available), I booked a room with a city view, so at least I should have gotten that. Upon checking in we were shown to a dingy dark room with a view of a wall. I promptly told the man this was not the room I booked, and was turned over to a manager who told me the hotel was 99% full and forced me to look at his paperwork to prove it. I don't work in the hotel industry and looking at a number on a sheet of paper in Italian means nothing to me, and it's RUDE. I was then shown "one last room", it had a terrace blocked in by 3 white walls, and no view. I said this was not what I came to Rome to look at, and all of a sudden a 3rd room was produced. ( I was far too tired to play his little game, but clearly there was more then 1 room left when I checked in). The last room had a view of the spanish steps if you cranked your head out the window. This room was NOT of the quality I would expect from this price point, it had linoleum floors that were in need of replacing. (ever other hotel we have stayed at in Italy had real tile or marble flooring) We had just spent almost 2 hours trying to check into a room that we had prepaid for, so we let it rest and decided to stick with the room.

Next we were almost killed by the elevator. It was myself, my husband and my 2 year old son, and we were boarding the elevator from the lobby, the doors opened and I got on, my son got on and the doors started to shut before my husband could get on. It just so happenes that he's used an elevator before and he used his hand to try and find the sensor and keep the doors open, but they weren't stopping and he had to quickly pull his hands out as the elevator lifted us up to the 4th floor where a women tried to get on but the doors flew open and shut with such speed no one could do anything. Now my son and I traveling back down to the lobby in attempt to find my husband, I stood in the door holding it open with my body while I looked around for my husband, suddenly I felt the doors start to shut and could barely pull my son out of the way in time. At this point he was screaming and my bag was left in the elevator. I quickly told the first hotel worker I saw and he had a look of terror on his face as he said "we'll call someone" as if they knew this was a problem.

I went back to the manager who made of point of sharing his paperwork with me earlier and told him about the danger and death we narrowly avoided in the elevator. His response was to take my husband to the elevator and show him how to use it. (How Insulting!) At this point I was so angry I called leading hotels of the world and demanded the room I booked and my upgrade. They tried calling the hotel for the next 2 hours with no reply.
After considering checking out to go back to Hotel Eden (excellent hotel!) I went downstairs and lost it in the lobby, I was the screaming crazy lady. Finally I was introduced to the real manager who apologized, and found me a room with a view of the city. He told me that they didn't give it to me first because someone had booked it for the next day and they wanted to be sure he could check in on time. Ridiculous! He also made me feel like I was gifted an incredible gift of a "double upgrade",but, this new hotel room was dirty and gross, (see photo) we found fingernail clippings on the bathroom floor and the bathtub was full of long black hairs.

Later on in our stay we witnessed a blind lady get slammed by the elevator doors, she was a little tipsy so she didn't complain but she should have, those elevators are dangerous. The icing on the cake was when we went downstairs to check out of the hotel. When the elevator arrived on the 4th floor it was a foot lower then the 4th floor causing us to step down to get into it, brilliant!

Also breakfast was served in a small courtyard off the lobby of the hotel with no view of the city, I didn't realize until I got home that were ripped off on breakfast since one of the reasons why I had booked this hotel was for the breakfast with a view. You will be charged extra if you eat the hot foods on the breakfast buffet, give me a break, that's so insulting, just charge one price people.

If you are considering this hotel and the Hotel Eden, you'd really be missing out if you choose The Hassler. At The Eden, they are so nice, and personable, the breakfast is much better and all included in one price, and the view can't be beat. Our room at the Eden was perfect, marble floor, small balcony over looking the city, and the price was almost €150 cheaper.

Room Tip: see my photo of the bath on room 403
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
24  Thank PacificNorthwestBest

Dear Guest,

I was very surprised and concerned to read your account of what you experienced at the Hassler and have shared the information with my Department Heads in order to fully comprehend the issues that negatively marked your stay.

I am truly sorry that we were unable to meet your original request for a city view. Please note that the Staff did try to improve the situation by offering a better solution on a higher floor, that you seemed to agree with. Once you decided to accept this solution, the Staff made careful attention of not disturbing you and your family because they were informed that you obviously needed to rest after the trip. Consequently, I am particularly sorry that you did not appreciate the upgraded room assigned to you. As you can appreciate, we receive most requests for rooms with a city view to the Spanish Steps and as our Manager explained in your particular instance, we assigned you a room that had already been pre-booked.

Furthermore, I have also closely looked into the issues with the elevator and very much regret that you experienced the difficulties described, but have to confirm to you that the elevator in question rigorously complies in every detail with Italian elevator security standards. Moreover, I would also like to emphasize that by law, children under the age of 12 are not permitted to enter an elevator unaccompanied by an adult.

While I fully understand that in no way can we change your initial impressions, I similarly hope that you will also comprehend that having become a worldwide renown luxury hotel, managed through a long family tradition, I train my staff to fulfill my lifelong aim, which is to do everything possible to please each guest.

On a closing note, I hope the future offers you some other opportunity to return to Rome and maybe allow my team to show you what we are famous for.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Having evening drinks in the flowery enclosed garden is wonderful.. Breakfast on the roof terrace with the smell of jasmin wafting over you as you look over the city.. Incredible views.. My room was a little on the small, old fashioned side, but had a glorious bathtub next to a window that looked out to the Spanish Steps. When I ended my stay, i was leaving my room and was accosted by a very aggressive maid that made it perfectly clear she was expecting a heavy 'tip' left in the room for her, and wanted to make sure it was there before letting me go downstairs.. Maid service was almost non existent during my stay, and the second night the bed had not even been made or towels changed.. When i rang down to ask that a maid come up i was met with a surly response.. I went to the Garden bar for a drink and an hour later the maid still had not been.. This time a trip to the front desk to find they had no record of my first call. Apart from that, my stay in Rome was wonderful. Would I stay there again? yes..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having decided to share your comments about your stay at the Hassler last June.

It is indeed our constant aim to make our guests feel at home and to render their stay as memorable and comfortable as possible.

I was most surprised and sorry to read your account concerning the maid and the Front Office services.

On a closing note, I hope in some future opportunity we will be able to welcome you again to the Hassler to demonstrate that we are capable of meeting and hopefully exceeding your expectations during some future return stay.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We have just come back from a four night stay at the Hotel Hassler in Rome. It is a truely lovely hotel, right at the top of the Spanish Steps, so a really fantasic location. It is the oldest family run hotel in Rome. From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, the staff (all of them) were really polite & friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The first 2 nights, we stayed in room 311, which was very quiet. It was a superior Deluxe room, with a partial view of the Spanish steps. It was a nice big room with a comfortable sofa. We slept really well in this room, as it was very quiet & dark with the blinds etc shut. On the Saturday It was my birthday, and a room with a better view had become available. So we packed our belongings in the morning, and went off for lunch to a nice seafood restaurant. When we got back, we were installed in the new room, room 403. There was an ice bucket, card & bottle of Franciacorta waiting in our room. The room had 3 windows and it overlooked the Spanish steps. A lovely big bathroom and we were very happy there. The only thing was, at night when we had gone to bed, so the windows were closed, we could hear coughing etc from the next room. It could do with a bit of sound proofing! Otherwise it was great. We will be going back to Rome next year for my birhday & we will be more than happy to stay at the Hassler again.

Room Tip: 311 was very quiet, but only had a partial view of the Spanish steps. 403 was large & sunny, but the room was a bit noisey from the room next door.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzanneb255

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome and also for having taken the time to share your comments with your beautiful words of praise.

All comments and remarks I receive from my clients, are very much appreciated and a necessary tool to understand if I succeed in my aim to provide an excellent service, so I really appreciated you sharing your opinion with us.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to return.

Greetings from the Eternal City!