“Not the expected Standard”
Review of Hotel Hassler

Hotel Hassler
Ranked #32 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Idf
“Not the expected Standard”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Used to higher end hotels we chose to stay at Hassler hotel based on its reputation.
This proved highly disappointing and shows this hotel needs major managerial revamp as well as rooms revamp!

Airport pick up : need to call concierge three time to figure out where is pick up car that was arranged , when driver turns up after twenty minutes no apology ...
Room : room had no balcony contrary to what was requested at booking and was really small , outdated with antiquated bathroom.
This has nothing in common with what you find at George V or Bristol hotel in Paris
Front desk is uninterested in my complaint on size and type of room and cannot be bothered to pretend to be polite.
Location of the hotel on top of Spanish Stairs remains however a big plus point
Hotel provided us with an excellent guide who proved extremely knowledgeable and took us through Vatican , coliseum ...
Do not try the Spa unless you want to visit something from another century . Staff hardly speaks English . Forms are given to be filled before massage but not given to the massage staff itself : what s the point ?
This would have been a good hotel if prices were half or one third
At the price charged you really expect a staff with another attitude towards the guest and some more decent rooms (size wise and functionality wise).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rktripp
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Eternal City!

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions, which I find extremely important – whether they be positive, or as in this instance, negative. The information I receive becomes a fundamental tool to monitor and improve services.

I was sorry that the room allocation was not what you expecting and that you found the Reception and Concierge staff not as helpful and professional as I expect all times. Your comments have been urgently passed on to all staff involved for urgent explanation.

With specific reference to the SPA, it is my immediate intention to transfer to a more spacious area.

On a closing note, I hope that sometime ahead in the future you might decide to reconsider your final judgment and give us a second opportunity to demonstrate that we can meet your expectations.

President and Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arkansas
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I travelled to Italy to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary and decided to go all out and splurge to stay at the Hotel Hassler. We do not regret it one bit! The luxurious accommodations and access to the private rooftop bar made it a place to remember. The location and views cannot be beat either. The concierge was extremely helpful and really made us feel special. We will save up to stay there again for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alandmichelle
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, to celebrate your 20th wedding anniversary and also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

My aim is to succeed in meeting every client’s expectation, so your note of praise, gave me great satisfaction. Your lovely words of appreciation were also passed on to the relevant departments.

I hope the future reserves you many other special moments to celebrate with us.

NYC
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Hotel Hassler, situated on the top of the Spanish Steps, is truly wonderful. Set atop the city, the feeling of being away from the tourists below is splendid. Upon arriving, the ornate beautiful lobby is brimming with class and history. It is not old looking in the sense that it is outdated, it's just classic and clean.
The rooms are newer and modern, still having classic Roman touches, but updated for today. Small though. The bathrooms are clean and new.
You must enjoy the free breakfast in the garden or the main salon room, it's beautiful and fresh. The restaurant upstairs, Imago, a Michelin star rated venue, is a great place to see a full panoramic view of Rome and enjoy a drink. We did not eat here.
The service as top notch, the view was amazing of the square below from our room and the location was PERFECT. Walking distance to literally everything.
If you can fork over the dough- I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up looking at Rome, not the garden. The lower floors are close to the street and c...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while visiting Rome, but also for your lovely note full of appreciation.

My goal is to always offer perfection in service and ambience so I appreciated you sharing your satisfaction concerning the rooms, the breakfast, Imàgo, the service and the view.

I look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

Wolfenbuettel
Reviewed 21 May 2013

During our stay at Il Palazzetto we twice had dinner in the Palm Court restaurant downstairs in the Hassler hotel and both meals were quite simply superlative, the food was imaginative and beautifully presented, the waiters could not have been more attentive and the excellent pianist rounded up the perfect meals. This restaurant is quickly becoming one of the IN places to eat due to the incredible standard of its food. If the weather is good one can eat outside in the delightful courtyard which is now crowned by a most unusual water featured bar. If Rome did not have so many other excellent restaurants we would have felt tempted to eat every night in the Palm Court.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hitchcock2
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at Il Palazzetto while in Rome but also for having taken the time to share with us your satisfaction in dinning at our Palm Court Restaurant.

I was delighted to learn that we met your expectations in every way and that you fully enjoyed our service, care and attention. I would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments to all the staff concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you again sometime in the future.

Greetings from the Eternal City and kind regards,

Firenze
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Hassler is an istorical lux hotel located in Trinità dei monti, the upper part of piazza di Spagna.
No doubt the location is a dream, it is like being inside a dream.
The hotel has two souls, the old part (a little dusty) of the common spaces (hall, breakfast room, elevator not efficient, some rooms, an amazing terrace but with no service) and some rooms refurbished, but my impression is like missing a real soul.
Service is kind, amorevero amenities for me not the standard such an hotel should offer.
Before booking, be sure the room is a new one, the old are really 80's

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mgiornet
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to share with us your impressions.

As to your comment about a part of the hotel “a little dusty” - I am happy to inform you that we have renovation works under way presently, which I hope you will be able to enjoy during some future stay.

In the meantime, greeting for the Eternal City!

Roberto Wirth
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We had just stayed at the Hotel Hassler in Rome for several nights. Rome graced us with perfect sunny days, warm high 70's in the daytime, cool 60's at night for outdoor dining. The Hassler was comfortable and perfectly situated on the top of the Spanish Steps. But there is one thing about the Hassler that I think over time will be an issue for the hotel -- it is really OUTDATED, from the 50's decor, wallpaper, furniture, upholstery and carpeting to the drab hallways and room furnishings. I just saw Roman Holiday again on the flight back from Rome to the US - unless Audrey Hepburn shows up in the lobby in 2013, the outdated decor will not keep the Hassler competitive long enough. There were only meager flower arrangements in the lobby (haven't they seen the Four Season's George V in Paris?). Broken mirrors in the hallways and elevator landings had not been fixed.
No big complaints about the Hassler but I didn't think the price of the hotel per night was worth given the amenities we got. It just felt for us, in the long run, that the hotel was simply resting on its laurels. It could use a major revamp -- maybe it can get some lessons from the Plaza in NY, the George V in Paris, or the Hotel Bel Air in LAX (all of whom had undergone MAJOR updates!!). PS - The staff "raved" about the 7th Floor outdoor patio for drinks but this too was nothing sensational but a partial view of Piazza Spagna and a long shot of Vittorio Emmanuel. Drinks at Il Palazzeto across the street yielded a better view of the Spanish Steps.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 6832white
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your comments.

I have taken good note of your impressions concerning the need for some restyling. Actually, renovation works have already begun and are only a minor aspect of a longer term project I have, to restore the Hassler to the initial perfection which my father had back in 1921.

I hope you will bear in mind this information and decide to return to the Hassler at some later date to experience for yourself the changes.

For now - greetings from the Eternal City!

Kind regards,

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 17 May 2013

just finishing a 5 night stay at the Hassler hotel in Roma. I have never written an on-line review yet feel compelled to write given the mixed reviews I read prior to arriving. The service was exceptional in every way and would highly recommend the hotel. The highly professional staff go out of their way to ensure your stay is memorable, comfortable and meets your personal standards. My standards for service are exceptionally high and I am often times a bit disappointed at 5 star hotels for one reason or another however the service at the Hassler was exceptional and at no point in time was I disappointed. Andrea the bar manager was superb.. a gracious smile, warm welcome, incredible memory and desire to make your stay memorable was clearly his priority along with his team's. Dennis the concierge was also exceptional and did a fabulous job of matching your interests and personality to his recommendations. I had read the hotel was a bit tired and dated.. although my room felt a bit dated what it lacked in ambiance it made up for in cleanliness, attention to detail, and quiet comfort. The outside bar is a bit tacky and doesn't fit with the look or feel of the hotel however the service remains exceptional. If you're looking for exceptional personal service and a hotel team to look after you while in Roma this is your destination!!!

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room request it.. we did and we're given an incredibly quiet room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CAD44
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome but also for having taken the time to share your lovely words of appreciation.

All comments I receive from my clients, are very much appreciated and a necessary tool to understand if I succeed in my aim to render each and every stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. In this specific instance, I am happy to be able to ascertain that this goal has in some way been accomplished. I would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments to each and everyone.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores other opportunities for you to return.