“Hospitality outweighs quality”

Il Nipotino del Solitario
Ranked #1,247 of 13,204 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Monti
Description: Tipycal Family Roman Trattoria!!! Inside our restaurant, every day you can found fresh food, cooked by those born in Rome. Appetizers of smiles, first dishes with cordiality, second dishes cooked with wisdom, and dessert only homemade with all love that we can! We organize birtday, graduation and anniversary with a special menù just for you!!! You just have to try it!!! We are waiting for you
Reviewed 25 December 2013

After other plans didn't work out, we ended up eating here by chance. It suited us as we were after something simple and straightforward like pizza. The pizze were of reasonable quality, the funghi were fresh but I think the bases were frozen as they were slightly gluggy and left that heavy feeling in your stomach. Having said this, the service was exceptional and the atmosphere welcoming. The toilet was in a hideous state - mouldy with a blocked hand basin. I would suggest that there are better options in the area.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and I decided to rely on TripAdvisor recommendations and went there for dinner, Apparently the recommendations are good and valid :))) Bad - the "house bread" is dull and costs extra. My "spaghetti carbonara" was a bit salty.The house white wine isn't "great", it's only OK. Good- the "rigatoni all'amatrciana" was amazing (costs 8 Euro). According to my wife the tiramisu made " bedroom foreplay" not necessary. By the way, all deserts are home made. The service was excellent (owners daughter speaks good English). One starter dish+2 spaghetti+0.5 house wine+bottle of water+1 tiramisu+1 coffee+bread= 40 Euro. Good ratio!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Nipotino del Solitario is a very small and cozy family restaurant. The food was nice and the waitress was very pleasant. We had tiramisu and pannacotta for desert - it was delicious.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

When coming in the afternoon or evening to Rome and feeling hungry, first thing is to visit Nipotino del Solitario.
This time we had somehow difficulties to find the place. Of course it located, where it used to be but there was a difference, which was the lack of the good old sign; multi colour decorative lamps? So, I was a little bit afraid of that something has been changed.
I also noticed that there were for me unknown person working..
If I understood it right, ownership has been changed spring 2013. Anyway we ordered as we used to do. "Primi piatti" were just or almost as it were.
Maybe the whole system functioned a little bit differently. Maybe it didn´t feel as homely as it used to feel.. But which should be the most important, the food was good. I really hope that the famous Nipotino del Solitario maintains it´s inimitable feeling and it´s exceptional standard, which, I think, is not so easy. Good luck!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

You know your business is founded on TripAdvisor reviews when you've got TripAdvisor stickers everywhere, including in your menus. Such is Nipotino del Solitario, a small restaurant off an alley near Saint Maria Maggiore. It's a wee west of where Google Maps claims it to be, and the storefront is so small as to be missed if you sneeze. So don't.

The lasagne was excellent, well worth the entire visit, as was the beef with zucchini, where the beef was succulent and flavorful while the zucchini tempered the dish whilst varying its texture. The Davoli pizza (spicy salami and olive) was perhaps authentic, though I'm no Italian specialist: the crust was thin and the toppings were incredibly scarce (literally 4 olives on a foot-wide pizza). Nevertheless, in a world where quantity doesn't necessarily correlate with quality, I could imagine some might say the pizza was excellent. Overall, the food was consistently good.

The service was friendly, and for what it's worth, our particular waitress's English skills were excellent. Interestingly, they denied that anyone had called for reservations, though I had personally made a reservation merely 90 minutes before arriving. No problem in our case, however: apparently at 7pm on a Friday evening, Italian restaurants can be completely empty. Many restaurants only open at 8pm, even. So while we dined, there were literally no other customers.

Nonetheless, we will almost definitely go back. Whether or not English TripAdvisor reviews are single-handedly buoying this entire business, the food was excellent and the prices reasonable.

1  Thank fivecar