“The best dining experience I have had.”
Review of Edoardo II

Edoardo II
Ranked #1,337 of 12,955 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Piazza Venezia / Ancient City
Description: Open to the public from 20:00 to 24:00, closed on Tuesdays. It caters for a mostly gay clientele but it is accessible to all. Good food, excellent value, nice atmosphere, in a quiet area and good service.
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I was uncertain what I would find. It was only three days until Christmas and the restaurant was empty. I have also learned it is typical here to eat late, and when we left at 2300, there were three other groups that had come in for dinner. The dining room is small and very well decorated. To say flamboyant would be the wrong word, as it is an amazing atmosphere and not in any way uncomfortable. The staff of two is amazing. Singing as they work and it feels as though we are invited and encouraged to join them. Communication was manageable, as I know very little Italian. Thankfully Mario was able to help us get by.
The food was very good. Desert as well, which I would not typically order but here, it was a reason to stay and enjoy the atmosphere. The pasta could maybe have been a little more al dente. My friend orders the beef fillet and prefers things burnt. I explain by pointing to my shoe as I explain to make it like leather. I am certain it was perfect for him, as I could smell the charred and ruined cut of beef, but my friend was happy. It was a good laugh.
The prices are great. And location is amazing.
As we were leaving, in my best Italian, I wished them both "Buon Natale" to which in return I am embraced as a friend with great joy.
These guys love what they do, and seem to love life, and in our night here we felt invited and encouraged to join.
I'm glad we went.

1  Thank Jschissel82

Reviewed 4 November 2012

How to find it: Piazza Margana (not Morgana as recorded by Tripadvisor) is in effect an alley just behind the Piazza Aracoeli, which is right beside the Vittorio Emmanuele monument that is pretty much Rome's center. From Piazza Aracoeli, walk down via Tor Margana, and in a short block you'll be at the restaurant.
I had a satisfying meal for 26 euro, which included wine, a spaghetti aglio, olio, e pepperoncino (good, but like in most restaurants in Italy, a bit light on ingredients for the tastes of most non-Europeans), and a roast pork in peppercorn sauce which was even better.
Previous reviewers have mentioned that it is gay-friendly, but whether it is or not, that shouldn't affect its attractiveness as a restaurant. All the other patrons I saw were couples or families. There do seem to be a few quirky wall-hangings, but nothing that will offend.
Edoardo probably isn't worth a special trip, but if you are in the neighborhood, then this, or the cafeteria upstairs the Vittorio Emmanuele monument itself (which has a nice view), would be my recommendations.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We have found it, but it's a well hidden nice little restaurant. Little restaurant but with a great service and good food. To recommand.

1  Thank Sabine D
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

Perfect night out with good friends and good food. The staff are friendly and sing as they work.

A place of fun, over the top camp.

It its worth it just to use the toilets!

1  Thank MrCraigBD
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Spending vacations in Rome with a friends, we decided also to make a gastronomic tour around the city.
Edoardo II is a restarant close to many monuments, right across Piazza Venezia and, although beeing in a quite touristic area is not a typical place for tourists.
The decoration is really funny and gives some authenticity to the place since it touchs kitch with both hands and makes it unique. Food - the mais point in a restaurant - is very good, revealing the authentic Roman cuisine for very affordable prices.
Staff is also very efficient and really shows pleasure to serve you.
The only point I think should be considered is music. Sometimes it's a bit too loud and not very convenient for much conversation.
Anyway, beeing in the center of Rome and having dinner for abour 50 euros (with wine!) is something to consider.

2  Thank Robson D

Been to Edoardo II? Share your experiences!