“A must see if you go to Rome”
Review of Colosseum

Colosseum
Ranked #3 of 1,994 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Perhaps the best-preserved of the monuments of ancient Rome, this huge marble structure was built to hold more than 50,000 spectators to witness bloody contests of might and the slaughter of wild beasts.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a "must for anyone traveling to Rome. While I was hesitant about touring the inside, I must say it was well worth it. Climbing the stairs are a challenge (those Romans must have had long legs!) and in summer it is very hot so bring lots of water. I highly recommend getting with a tour group outside the entrance gates vs. waiting in line for tickets. The line was up to a 2 hour wait. We bought a ticket for 20 Euro that go us right in and included a tour and entrance to the Roman Forum as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (120,595)
All reviews
in 624 reviews
"thousands"
in 726 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I cannot recommend this enough...book online, it will save you over an hour of time and save your feet from standing there. The site is secure, they send you the tickets via email so all you have to do is print and pack them. There is no date or time that you have to use them by so all you do is show up, swipe the bar code and in you go.

Walking around, what can I say, its amazing! In addition, there is a tap inside so you can refill your water bottles or just have a drink.

If it rains whilst you are there, go down near the entrance and there will be men selling ponchos for roughly 3-4 Euros. We saved ours and used them again when the clouds decided to open up on us.

2  Thank TravelCat1012
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Whilst planning our trip to Rome, I decided to book tickets online for the Colosseum as I had visited in 2012 and had to wait in line for over an hour. I HIGHLY recommend you do the same - there is no date that you have to use the tickets by, the site is safe and secure, the tickets are emailed to you so all you have to do is hit print and pack them in your bag. When we got there the line up appeared to be at leave 1.5 hours long, we bypassed that and went straight in. Halfway through visiting the rain started absolutely chucking it down and the wind was blowing really hard. We found recluse in the top area but then saw lots of people wearing ponchos that said Roma, there was 4 of us so we walked down and asked another tourist where he got them from. There were men selling them through the gate...man were they the best €15 we spent. We wondering around the areas in our ponchos and made the best of the situation. We went to the Palatine Hill and Roman Forum later that evening and had a wonderful walk around. We didn't go everywhere as the site is large. We also rested quite a bit so it took some time (3 hours) to get through but it was lovely (the sun also came out...YAY).

2  Thank TravelCat1012
Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is something about the Colosseum that is majestic. I was captivated by all of the history and felt privileged to be able to experience a place that some of the people I've read about in history also visited.

1  Thank Diane P