“Shame of Rome” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Antica Trattoria Al Cuppolone - CLOSED

Antica Trattoria Al Cuppolone
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Vatican / Borgo
“Shame of Rome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Speechless, I am a frequent traveler and I have taken accounting of being charge with unreasonable price as it is close to tourist attraction.

I turn out even worst than I expected. We order a paste and pizza and two coke (330ml) and was charged 40euro.
There is literately nth in the paste, only cheese and white sauce (euro 12 euro)
Pizza with only two slides of ham and a bit mushrooms was charged 8euro
2 small can of cola was charged 8euro
Bread was 3 euro ( I didn't order but I am aware it is normal in dinning in a restaurant.
I though the bill won't be higher than 25 (as I only ask the price of pizza and pasta when I order, but it ended up charge me 4O for the ridiculous tax, services charge.

Wt a shame of Rome

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Herding W

“Worst restaurant! Don't be deceived. Be careful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Please don't be deceived by this restaurant. I think their favorite time is when it is raining when people have no choice and come in to their restaurant. We ordered 3 pasta (menu around 8-11Euros), Coke and water and ended up paying 57Euros!!!!!!! There was a 7.50 tax that we don't know where it came from! Of course we have no time to argue. People come and go and they all pretend to be busy. The waiter who took our bill didn't give us the change of 3Euros and when we asked him, he was mad and gave us the change that he was hiding. We asked for the receipt and he just replied shouting get it there at the back. So unfriendly, not good at all. This is the worst restaurant ever!!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jan_travelislove
Texas
“Expensive for what you get”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

The other reviews are correct. Unfortunately I didn't check tripadvisor before we went out to eat. This resturant was close to our hotel. That is about the best thing i can say. 2 spagetti bolognese, 2 meat balls, 1/2 bottle of wine, and a Sprite = $70+ euros. Went to another resturant down the street the next day, almost the same order, 45 euros.

1 Thank cosme g
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“SCAM alert! Pushy restaurant vendor waits outside Vatican.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

Was walktrailer of Vatican city when I walked past this pushy restaurant vendor. Initially said no but was promised free coffee. Never got the coffee. Luckily I wasn't hungry and only ordered an entree and glass of wine (the wine turned out to cost €5!). The entree was tiny for the price. The bill came back at €15, 5 for the wine and €8 for the entree. The waiter then said I needed to pay €20 as there was a 15% service charge. Despite the obvious flaws in his Maths, he kept insisting the price was €20, so I just paid it to get out of there. Total scam, DISHONEST and greedy. I didn't even really want to go there. I hope they get audited and I don't know how they can get away with it.
However, the positive about this experience was that I wasn't scammed out of too much money and am definitely no longer shy or polite about saying no to hawkers.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Average_jo_bloggs
Brisbane, Australia
“Tourists be aware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We were coerced to dine at this place on leaving the Vatican by a restaurant tout who promised us "free" bruschetta entrees and no cover charge. The tout also promised us that if we don't like the meal, we wouldn't have to pay. What a joke this promise turned out to be.

This place had the worst mushroom risotto my daughter had tried in Italy during our recent trip. It was basically over boiled rice with the bare minimum of mushrooms and completely devoid of flavour. The rest of the food was below average and the "free" entree promise is an absolute scam and rip off.

Yes, the entrees were "free" but this was replaced with an excessive service charge and overpriced beer costs. When I queried the service fee with the non Italian Manager, I was told that there was no charge to cover the table with a table cloth but the service charges remained. Hence no "cover charge". Ripped off!! I tried to have the €65 bill reduced based on the tout's earlier promise but could only have it reduced by €1. In the end, I gave up arguing with him. This place was a disgrace.

• Visited October 2012