“Not relaxing”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Not relaxing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I love a good spa day, so have made it a point to go to a spa in every town we travel to. So, I chose Acquamadre when we went to Rome. Now, I'm not a slender girl, I mean, Jerry Springer isn't coming to take the side off the house so I can go to work, but I'm a UK 18 and have a spare tire that I don't like but am working to get rid of. I've decided that, as I'm working on it, I won't be covering myself up in the ashamed way society makes you feel you should. Besides, it's a spa, right? So, as it was ladies day, I went topless. No worries to me, but there was some giggly slender things there there snickering at me (very obviously), which I managed to brush off. They'll learn when they hit their mid 30s, you know? Besides, thats nithing the spa could control. The treatment, the body brushing, was carried out at the foot of the entrance stairs to the Hammam. Call me British, but maybe a little off to the side would be more relaxing.... I've no qualm being out in the open but having the doors open repeatedly whilst you're topless and being scrubbed is a bit distracting. That said, the woman who was doing the body scrub was fantastic, her English was fine and she was very good at what she did.

Then it came time for the massage. The masseurs choice of pop music wasn't that relaxing, but it clearly gave him the ability to maintain a rhythm to work with, so fair enough.

It was when I left the massage that my decision was made about this place. I went to get changed and perhaps came out earlier than anticipated as I saw the masseur making fun of someone with another employee. She hushed him when she saw me then the two burst into gales of laughter and ducked behind a wall. It was very obvious that i had just paid €150 to be laughed at by a mediocre masseuse.

I left and felt awful, fat, and very not at all relaxed. This place isn't worth the stress it causes.

Visited July 2013
14 Thank Kiki70three

Oviedo, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Simply unprofessional”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Not very kind staff (besides the person in the lobby who is really nice).
They keep you waiting with no major explanation about what time to be treated.
They absolutely ignored we went together and expected to receive treatment at the same time (it was pointed out when making the appointment).
The treatment area is public and open.
No logical order is followed or explained to you and you just wait and wait doing nothing in a on the - truth must be said - nice cave area although risking to have a blood pressure drop.
Indeed, staff (only Italian speaking) ignored a client having a hard time breathing down there after more than 35 minutes waiting for her treatment. It was explained to the staff both in perfect Italian by some other clients there and also in English and they did NOTHING. Only other client showed this person in trouble the way out of the cave. The staff assumed this person just left, was not receiving her treatment anymore and not even informed her friends about what happened. These people realized of such after while looking for their friend.
It simply is not worth a visit. The treatments are neither a great thing.

Visited May 2013
8 Thank IAN187452
Rome, Italy
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“hammam Italian style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Tucked away in a small side street in the Roman Ghetto, just behind the lovely fountain with turtles on piazza Mattei, this is a great place to treat your sightseeing-wearied body to if it's complaining: you'll be walking on air when you come out.
It's a "real" hammam in that they use black soap and different temperature rooms and scrub you before sending you into the cold pool, but somehow it's also very Italian, probably because most of the stylish customers are, as well as the staff (don't worry, they'll be very gentle and patient if you don't speak the language, but they don't have much English).
The first time you go you have to buy their slippers and scrubbing mitt kit for EUR10: these are yours to keep and reuse on your next visit, or elsewhere.
You pay first, and leave your ID in exchange for a towel, locker key and padlock. The women's changing room is small and it can get crowded, better visit in the afternoon if you can.
On "women only" days nudity is fine (Wednesdays and Fridays), on mixed days bathing suits must be worn.
The place is spotlessly clean and whilst sometimes the piped music gets on my nerves (personal pet hates), the atmosphere is generally very relaxing and friendly.
The stone benches are hard (good for the back) and the scrubbing is fierce, but you come out with soft skin and relaxed limbs.
Various body and face treatments are on offer, which are carried out in the tepidarium (warm room) in full view of everyone, so not for the shy and retiring!
There's also a number of massages available, and these are done in private rooms. My favourite is the oil of Argan body and face massage, 50 mns of bliss that undo all the knots and leave the skin velvet smooth.
Check their web site for special offers, some are very good value e.g. 4 hammam sessions at 50% discount, valid three months. I let mine lapse due to work pressure and sheer absentmindedness, and they gave me a refund for the 3 unused sessions! Fantastic customer service or what?
Make sure you book even if you only want to use the hammam, they get very busy and control the numbers both for our enjoyment and for safety reasons.

Visited October 2012