“4 star room, 2 star breakfast”
Review of Occidental Aurelia

Occidental Aurelia
Ranked #242 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Northumberland
“4 star room, 2 star breakfast”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Our room was excellent, very clean, spacious and the bed large and comfortable, in fact a real pleasure to come back to after a day in Rome. Fixtures and fittings were all high quality although sometimes trying a little too hard to be stylish, e.g. the dark brown opaque shades on the bedside lamps made it more difficult to read with the lamps on - we unscrewed them! As others have commented, the room thermostat didn't appear to have any actual connection to the air-conditioning but the temperature was OK most of the time and you could open the window to let some cool air in (in January anyway).

The hotel seems to have been converted from something else, probably theological student accommodation. Whatever happened, they obviously realised at the last minute they'd forgotten to add a restaurant, so they built a framed tent like affair on the roof with tarpaulin walls and 2 space heaters, accessed only by one small lift, no stairs, must be a nightmare if the hotel is full. A good breakfast would have made up for it but they forgot that part as well! Probably the worst breakfast I've been served (sorry, toasted it myself and boiled the egg myself and operated the lukewarm coffee vending machine myself) in a hotel that I can remember. Seems a bit churlish to complain as we were on a very good deal (as were all the other Brits we spoke to) but it is supposed to be 4 star...

It's an easy busride from the centre, metro 10 minutes walk (or bus to it) so being out in the suburbs is not a problem at all.

Would we go again? - Yes but not at full price.

ps Just looked at the hotel's website. There are pictures of a smart looking dining room there but it's definitely not the one we were in!

4 Thank GypsyMajor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Because of the excellent price paid for a weekend in Rome, I was expecting Travel Lodge or lower standard from this hotel. I was was pleasantly surprised. It was clean, modern, the rooms were spacious, comfortable and the bathroom was lovely. The service was excellent from the staff. The breakfast was adequate, you get what you pay for, again this was more than I expected. We had decided before arriving we would be walking everywhere in Rome, to take in the atmosphere and burn off all that ice cream! We did walk from the hotel into town. It takes about 30 minutes to the Vatican and about another 30 to the Roman Forum. We did this 3 days in a row and by the end I have to admit my feet were suffering and the absence of a bath was noted. The only issue with being out of town is being unable to pop back late afternoon, freshen up and go out to enjoy the evening, as you could do if you were in the center. A suggestion for the hotel would perhaps be a shuttle service at set times for people who want to do this. Others that used the buses said they were no problem and relatively cheap.I would recommend this hotel and would stay again....

4 Thank Tasha P
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Upon a recent trip to Italy we spent 5 nights at the Esh Hotel, Rome.

Upon waking up the first day, we discovered there was NO hot water. We all had cold showers, reported the incident and were told the technician would be out. 12h00 that same day, there was still NO hot water.

The second day presented the same scenario. NO hot water.

We were afforded the contents of the bar fridge as a peace offering.

Are bar fridges not supposed to be re-stocked? Apparently not. We were apparently only given what was in the fridge at the time. This worsened the experience.

On the third day 2 out of the 3 rooms we stayed in were NOT made up by housekeeping. What a disgrace to a so-called "Executive Style Hotel."

We were also not given slippers, gowns or anymore than 5 coat hangers.

I wouldn't advise anyone to stay here. At all. What a disappointment. Costly disappointment.

Room Tip: Rather do not stay at this hotel at all.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Jocelynne H
stockport
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I booked this Hotel through Broadway Travel for a suprise birthday present for my husband. Just got back and loved the city of Rome. The hotel is very stylish and the staff are all very friendly and cant do enough for you . The room was small and basic but very clean and quiet. Breakfast is on the top floor and is what you would expect a continental breakfast to be. The location was the only problem as you are a long way from anything and although their is a bus route at the end of the drive you cannot actually walk to a restaurant or bar easily in the evening. I would go back to this Hotel and recommend it as it is in a quiet suburb away from the madness that is Rome

3 Thank johnnywhitts
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel during the Christmas holiday weekend. On the outside, the hotel wasn't so impressive to me. However, the inside was well kept and had a bit of a modern flair. I asked for our room to be in a quiet section of the hotel and on the highest floor. Unlike some European hotels in which the staff always make excuses as to the fact that they cannot offer another room... the staff at this hotel were very accommodating. Although we were too early to check-in, a staff member apologized for the room not being ready and gave us a complimentary espresso and latte macchiato. Anything I asked for they were able to deliver without an attitude. I really felt as though they wanted to make my stay a great one...as it should be. Yes, the hotel is away from the city but the bus was right outside the building and easy to access. It took us only 10 minutes to get to the Vatican and about 20 minutes to get to the Colosseum. I am not a fan of bus services but I must say that this was very convenient and affordable. The staff was very helpful in giving directions so we never had a problem. My hotel room was modern, clean and reasonably spacious. I was very happy and loved the bathroom. The only negative thing I have to say is that the breakfast was not good at all. Every morning the hotel had dry eggs, really salty bacon, small tasteless sausages, some yoghurt, canned fruits...it did not fit with the great service and warm decor. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Rome. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful and concerned about your comfort. You will love it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank geejay2011
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Excellent hotel, pleasant and polite staff, very clean and modern, tasteful and clean rooms. There are bus stops just outside the gates which take you in to the centre or up to the nearest metro. We had a great time in Rome and would go back again. I was a bit worried by some of the negative remarks made before our trip, but then, it takes all sorts :) I would also return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wgpettigrew
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here as part of a 4 day package deal, flying with Ryanair form Manchester. We paid for the transfer also, which weas good because it took a little while to get used to the buses and metro, and to find our directions. We arrived around lunchtime on friday and our room was ready, although there was a little wait at reception. Our room was clean and comfortable, nice big bed and tv ( only 1 English channel though, but we were not there to watch tv. ) There was no tea/coffee facilities, and only soft drinks in the minibar, €2 for a bottle of water. The bathroom was well decorated with large ceramic tiles on floor and walls, nicely coloured. a large shower cubicle with rainfall shower was great. We were in room 213, which was actually on the first floor, but unfortunately right above the kitchen. We were woken up each night around 1am by the kitchen staff taking out the rubbish, filling the bottle crates with empties, and then standing around talking before going home with their motorbike engines revving up.
The hotel appeared to be a favourite with coach firms, as there were 5 there over our 4 days. Breakfast was fine, what you expect on the continent. Hams cheeses, different breads, some hot food like bacon and sausage and scrambled eggs, were all adequate for our needs each day. Coffee and juice were from machines, so the waiting on staff were only there to clean up after the guests.
The nearest metro station was around a 15 minute walk, but after the first day, we used the many local buses which went past the hotel at regular intervals, even on the Sunday. There were a few bars and restaurants near to the metro station, but nothing at all along the road the hotel was on. We paid for the €11 three day metro and bus pass which was great and really saved us quite a bit during our stay.
On the whole, I would recommend this hotel for its cleanliness, style and location, if you don't mind being just outside the main city.

Room Tip: Don't get room 213 or any on that side as they are right above the kitchen
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple