“Book at your risk. OK at BEST! Looks good on the outside.”
Review of Occidental Aurelia

Occidental Aurelia
Ranked #197 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Here's the deal... if you are in and out, and you don't need any help, its fine. The hotel looks good. In particular, I actually loved the decor. I was pretty happy when I first saw it. Good a good deal on priceline, so I was thinking i scored. I should have known there was a problem right off the bat. Upon check in I was told we could not have 2 keys. There were 2 of us travelling together and it makes sense that we'd want to split up. They said hotel policy is only for 1 key per room. Who does that?? Looks can be deceiving. The sink leaked. The A/C didn't work that well and the beds are rock hard. We were told INCORRECT facts about places to visit and ultimately cost us about an hour extra on 2 different occassions. That's just wrong, as that is their business. Hospitality is all you have. One of the things that really got me was the attitude. Its horrible. They honestly don't care about you and what you may be going through. Its rediculous. If you need help, they are uncaring. We were told there was no place near to wash our clothes, only to stumble upon 2 after it was too late. Upon check out, we were rushed, and as a result, we were forced to pack wet clothes that I had washed in the sink and attempted to dry all night.

There were all sorts of quirks about how this place is run. They either have bad help or bad management that forces the good help to leave. Not clear on which it is. One day they didn't clean our room until 5 pm. Yet... they had to rush us out the door at 11:30 am.

The wi fi sucks! Everywhere in the hotel! Its practically unusable.

The only reason I'm giving it a 2 star is becuase I got a solid deal on priceline. If I had paid full price, I might have called the police over it.

Anyone who writes a high praise review of this place either came in and had no requests to make of the staff, or they have very low standards. Know what you're getting into and perhaps it will be ok for you.

Room Tip: Pray first
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank DrLuv
Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We spent 3 nights here in July 2014. I had read on TripAdvisor previously that the hotel was not in the city centre so was prepared to travel. There is a bus stop outside the hotel (on the other side of the road) buses came regularly, we never waited more than 5 minutes. The metro is only a 10 min walk and is very simple to use We used a taxi once on our last night and it was a 15 minute trip costing 14 EURO . The hotel provide a very good map which contains all of this information, the staff at the reception are very helpful and polite, they let us use the computer to print off tickets for The Vatican and answered any questions.
The Hotel itself is very nice and modern, the air conditioning worked fine when we visited, the WiFi had limited range but was workable. not an issue if you're on holiday but maybe if you are doing business. They also had a computer in the lobby which is free to use.
The room are a good size, the bathrooms are lovely with monsoon showers. Everywhere was very clean. The walls are quite thin but this wasn't an issue during our stay we could only hear people in our bathroom and some doors slamming but we both had great nights sleep.
The bar was well stocked and the barman was really friendly, all the staff were. Breakfast was crazy they had cereal, fruit, yogurt, cakes (loads of cakes), ham, cheese, bread, jams and spreads, eggs, mash potato, beans, omelette, meat, juices, coffees and teas. It was a good range and didn't seem to be limits on how much you could eat.
We really enjoyed our stay and was very impressed with the hotel, we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We had room 123 (twin) which was quiet and faced the back of the building.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Frankie L
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had this hotel in combination with flights throughout last days. Not sure where the 5-10 minutes to Vatican and city centre did came from, only possibility doing this is with taxi (10-15€ one way). Alternatively there is a bus stop just in front which vecomes pretty handy - bear in mind the busses do not really seem to have a schedule, so they arrive when they arrive and waiting 10-20 minutes for the bus wasn't seldon.

The room was nice, although TV was pretty small and did only include 1 german channel. WiFi was free but poor in speed. Enough to look sth up, but surfing, reading news became a patience-exercise.

Breakfast was OK, not bad but although nothing special. An interesting italian interpretation of baked beans..

Staff was very friendly and hotel includes also a shuttle service to/from airport at same price like taxi.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank preske
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We came here for a week while heading out to Orvieto a night and the west coast.

It is very clean, the people working were very pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast were satisfactory (not great).

It was a bit of a walk to the Metro, but you get to walk through an area not filled with other tourists.

A week that far out of central Rome was a bit to long but I wouldn't want to be in the thick crowds of tourists the whole time.

When in Italy, I want to hear the Italian language, not be surrounded by other US Americans speaking English. Traveling abroad is about learning something about other cultures.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gdwishes
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel is lovely and, whilst not in the centre of the tourist areas, it does provide an excellent base for exploring the city. There's a bus direct to the Vatican just outside and the metro is a 15 minute walk away, which will get you to anywhere else you should need. Yes, the walk is a bit treacherous (very narrow pavement on a high-traffic road) so I wouldn't recommend for someone who has mobility issues but if you're happy to walk a bit, then it's well worth it. In return you get a hotel that is very quiet and is beautifully furnished. Staff were very helpful and we used their car service to get back to the airport, which was exemplary.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the restaurant. Aside from the fact that it was practically empty when we visited, I can safely say you'll get better food anywhere else. We tried the pizza set menu and after our starter (fried seafood and chips, which was a main course serving on it's own!) we just did not have the appetite for the equally greasy pizza or the odd-looking dessert. I felt guilty leaving as much as I did on the plate.

Restaurant is not a deal-breaker for me though, so I would definitely recommend the hotel for someone who wants a nice hotel out of the hustle and bustle (and steep prices) that you'd get in central Rome.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura H
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and I wish to thank Maurizio and the staff for four days of exceptional hospitality. We will always remember how you all went out of your way to make her birthday celebration special. We came as guests and departed as friends. Rooms clean and comfortable. Room service outstanding. Location brilliant, bus service on the doorstep, should be everyone's first choice. If you are reading this considering to stay here, contact me for some tips on using the bus. Breakfast choice is fantastic and the staff will go out of their way to see you get what you want. Meals at the hotel are better value than the restaurant nearby but that too is well worth visiting if you are staying for a few days. Use the hotels taxi service to the airport on leaving, it is so easy and less stressful. The driver, the barman, the restaurant staff, the manager, Maurizino, thank you for making us feel so welcome

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dekofnot
Reviewed 20 June 2014

we stayed 20June ,the hotel is a good 15 min from the metro station along a very busy road .It is not central at all.The rooms are modern and clean .Reception lady very friendly nice.
The problem was the restaurant .The food was disappointing .The starters were a chips with a fast food something on top. The pizza was again fast food bought in and heated .The dessert was creme caramel which was just tuned out into a glass . the top was not even heated .We complained .The manager was very good but then everything kicked off when a young couple with two very young children had a big argument and the father lost it and threw the older child into the high chair and screaming started . We asked for coffee and took it to our room and ,I rang reception to complain .At this present time which is 11 o'clock we are awake with children crying and a noise in room which I think is the air conditioning .We are waiting to be moved .

Room Tip: don't go there .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple