“The location is very good, but...staff, service & room were not!”

The Britannia Hotel
Ranked #124 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with a friend and two family members. I had done the booking after being referred by another hotel which was full. The location was very good as it was close to train station (Termini) and within walking distance of the hop on/hop off tour bus and a few other main attractions in the city.
My first disappointment was with our room and the increased cost in comparison to my two family members' room...they were given an 'upgrade' and ours was a low grade for more money...40 Euros per night more for basically the same room. The TVs which were supposedly upgrades did not work properly, nor did the internet in our room. We did not get the 'turn down service' both nights (only one night) but the other room did! When we went to the bar in the hotel lobby at 10 min. to 11 pm. no one asked if we might like anything, and when I enquired after 11 pm. they told me it was closed! Three people were on staff at the front desk and no one asked if we might like anything from the bar when we arrived, nor 'just before it was supposedly closed'. When we inquired about our room, we were told it was 'the luck of the draw'...they were fully booked and if we were to move we might get a lower grade room for the same price my family were paying for their room....Just did not seem logical let alone fair. To top it off, on check out, we were told we had a laundry bill! We did not do any laundry as we were only in Rome for two days...they did credit this, but I think they thought we were mistaken!!! Breakfast was the only other good thing about the hotel. It was very ample and the breakfast staff were very cordial....Unfortunately I will not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to any one else to stay here, unless they were guaranteed a better class of room for less money!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 June 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Britannia for the last night of our honeymoon. I must say that I'm disappointed after my stay. When I researched hotels, I thought I was getting a deal for a 4-star hotel for under 200 Euro a night! I figured it must be that price because it was near Termini, which is not necessarily the prime area to stay in Rome. I also thought I was staying in a place that was going to be romantic, modern, and clean. I'm likely to offend the hotel owners/staff with my comments, but this is not a 4-star hotel. I've had better accommodations at 2-star hotels in the U.S. than this place. We stayed in room 402 (the room with the Rose painting and terrace on the hotel's website). On the website, the hotel and accommodations looked sheik, modern and romantic. Upon arrival, my wife and I saw that it was nothing like the pictures. Instead, it was going to be a no-frills place to just lay a head before shipping off to the airport. We in fact went out to dinner that night and drank an excessive amount to ensure that we would just pass out once we got back to the hotel. I would not stay here again because of the reasons listed below. Furthermore, if you are a U.S. resident and on a honeymoon, I would definitely not stay here because it is not romantic, it's in a lackluster area of Rome, and there are nicer places for the same price range or less in the same area.

My reasons why this is not a 4-star hotel (which in my mind would be one star below at St. Regis):
-The last time the hotel was renovated had to have been in the late 1980's or early 1990's; the website shows one awesome looking room with shelves above the bed. That room must be the best room in the place because the others don't look like that. The breakfast area has the same story.
-No wash cloths in the bathroom
-The room was infested with ants. The ants had free reign of the bathroom (toilet, sink, tub, door), the carpet and the bed.
-The safe was from 1980 and was malfunctioning.
-The car service arranged through the hotel was a run down Kia minivan. We could have caught a taxi to the airport for less than 50 Euro and at least rode in a run down Mercedes. Seems like a 4-star hotel would have better managed that aspect.
-The breakfast spread is pretty basic with limited selection compared to other 4-star hotels where we stayed.
-The wooden head board on the bed had what appeared to be termite damage (or some other type of wood eating organism).
-The mattress was hard.

Honestly, the other hotel we stayed in for the first part of our trip in Rome, Hotel Madrid, which is a 3-star hotel, had nicer accommodations. It was at least clean. If I had to rate this hotel, I'd say it would be a 3-star hotel on it's best day.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
thehotelmanager68, Direttore at The Britannia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

Granted that I' m not used to answer to the travellers reviews, because I think it is more correct to let the clients the liberty of doing their comments, in this case I am compelled to respond because I think it is an absolutely false and offensive one.
I exclusively apologize with the guest about the suddenly come out of some ants from the wall, but this is something could happens in every houses, even the best and modern ones and it is not predictable.
Room 402 is the one in the second picture of the gallery (the room with the painting of the rose) and that is an absolutely real and recent picture, so I leave to the other readers any further judgments and I invite them to read posts of other customers who have slept in that room and then judge by themselves if it seems a “no frills hotel”.
In conclusion to give an idea of the of the pack of lies wrote, I'd like to specify what our wide American buffet breakfast includes:
coffee, milk, the, chocolate, cereals, dry fruit, cakes, hot croissants, biscuits, yogurts, eggs, bacon, wurstels, mushrooms, tomatoes, rice, ham, various type of cheese, shrimps, fresh fruit, fresh fruit salad, juices, bread, butter, various jam, nutella, honey etc...

Reviewed 14 June 2010

From the moment that we arrived we knew that we had made the right choice. Although it was only 10am we were shown straight away to our room (which was smallish but perfectly acceptable), and which was spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and although the room was at the 'front' of the hotel there was absolutely no noise. A wide range of complimentary fruit was available in the hall, and we were amazed to find tea/coffee making facility in the room (rare in an Italian hotel). The air condition worked perfectly but our only slight criticism was that the hot water could have been warmer.

As other reports have stated, the breakfast was very good with a very wide choice (pastries and cakes were too sweet, but it is Italy afterall). Vast choice of local restaurants providing everything from fast food to very upmarket meals, and prices were quite reasonable.

The location couldn't be better, where you can stroll to all the major attaractions within 15 minutes. In addition it's less than 5 minutes from the main railway station (we used the hotel's own transfer back to the airport which was excellent for a reasonable 50euros). There is a supermarket just 50m way and another 200m in the other direction.

We booked via the hotel's own website, and if you pay by cash on check-out we were also offered a generous 10% discount. Overall excellent value in a good hotel which is in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HerculeP
Reviewed 11 June 2010

From the moment we were greeted by the Britannia's pleasant staff to the prompt arrival of the driver they called to take us to the airport, everything about our stay there was delightful. We enjoyed a lovely room with many details that made being there pleasant and comfortable. Being able to open both the window in the bedroom and the one in the amazingly spacious (by European standards) bathroom, the aquarium and live plants were unique extras for a hotel in this price range. Breakfast was extraordinary; the location convenient and quiet. Looking forward to returning to Hotel Britannia soon and recommending it to friends.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 9 June 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Britannia for three nights at the end of a cruise. This is the fourth time we have stayed at this hotel. It is a very comfortable small hotel. The rooms are small but adequate in size and quiet. The beds are comfortable and the staff is very helpful. The breakfasts are outstanding. The price is reasonable for Rome. It is located near Termini Station.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smd22
Reviewed 6 June 2010

The location was wonderful and the staff were very helpful. The room was not large but quite comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2010

We chose this hotel for it's location, being within walking distance of the main station and still close to Rome's main tourist attractions. The rooms are average size for Roman hotels, clean and comfortable. Good breakfast, superb coffee. The only negative point is the fish bowl with a couple of forlorn guppies in in the rooms, described in the hotel brochure as tropical aquariums! The main advantage with this hotel is the Mario factor. Mario is the night manager and nothing is too much trouble for him. He's a mine of information, even knows train times by memory. We will certainly stay there again and hopefully the fish bowls will have gone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple