“Charming, so friendly, the way forward”
Review of Hotel Lancelot

and 1 more site!
Hotel Lancelot
Ranked #35 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Oxford
“Charming, so friendly, the way forward”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I am a friendly type of person. The kind that likes to say hello to my neighbours and greet other hotel guests in the corridor. That is why the round table seating at Hotel Lancelot appealed to me so much.

My husband and I visited in September 2008 (I had to click Sept 2011 due to TA choices) as part of our Italian honeymoon tour. You might think it ood that newlyweds would be drawn to this shared table experience but why wouldn't we; we still love talking to and meeting new people no matter what. And we met some fantastic people night after night and laughed and drank the inclusive wine; such fun.

I wasn't over the moon with the first room* so feeling a little deflated on honeymoon, my husband enquired about being moved. This was done quickly and without question. The second room was far more fitting and decorated in a Wedgewood shade of blue.

The staff are attentive; the food is beautiful and well worth the half board option (or opt in each night as we did). The location isn't in the centre of everything but is very close to the Colosseum, easy for access to buses and I've no problem walking in a city this wonderful.

*Looking back, there wasn't a problem with the first room, I think I was just a little spoilt from the huge suite we had just shared in Positano.

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor (6th?) have access to shared terrace and a great view of the Colosseum.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OxfordQueenie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I cannot say enough good things about the Hotel Lancelot and their staff. Amazingly friendly and helpful. Great location. Rooms were a decent size and well kept. The Roundtable dinner and breakfasts were great ways to meet other travelers. When I had an issue with a B&B I was supposed to move to on the last night after my friends left, they were so good to try and help me contact the other hotel - who's phone, etc. was not weekend. Again, thanks to everyone at the Hotel Lancelot for a great stay in Rome.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PiscesV
Anchorage
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Hotel Lancelot was the highlight of our trip to Italy. Our granddaughter and her college roommate joined us for the Easter weekend. We had heard how charming it is, but you have to experience it to know it.

Our rooms were quiet, comfortable, convenient and clean. The lobby and sitting area are lovely.

The food was outstanding -- from the breakfast buffet which is included to the dinner. From appetizer to dessert it was presented beautifully. Red wine and white wine were at every dinner. The tables are set up so that you get to know the other diners, and we met the most delightful people from all over the world.

We would highly recommend the Ferris Magic Night Tour of Rome after dinner. He takes you places you have heard of, but he gives you information you don't get out of textbooks and travel books. He will tell you how the Via Capo d'Africa got its name.

The owners were very congenial as were their staff. They can help you with things like "what to see" and "how to get there."

Thank you, Hotel Lancelot, for making our first trip to Rome so memorable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lucy S
West Sussex, England
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I don’t always review the hotels we visit, but the Lancelot deserves special mention.

The same family have run the business since 1971 and it shows in the way that they care for the hotel and their customers. The secret of their success is that they have mastered the mostly forgotten art of keeping things simple and doing them well. The whole place is run with quiet efficiency; the staff stay in the background but are there and very helpful whenever you need them. You are genuinely made to feel like a welcome guest.

The hotel’s website has plenty of useful information and we got the best deal by booking directly with them. Their response to enquiries was prompt and helpful.

We booked a standard room and this was quite spacious, simply furnished but with a large comfortable bed. It faced on to the street but there was very little noise from the quiet road, except for the daily refuse truck which appeared noisily every morning between 8 and 8.30. It’s true that the bathroom was small (one at a time only) but like the rest of the hotel it worked well and was spotlessly clean. There is free wi-fi but if you don’t want to bring your own stuff there is also a free internet room.

For us the best feature was the evening meals, and the hotel policy of encouraging guests to gather at the round tables. If there was a spare seat a member of the family might join also. The meals themselves were of very good quality and included wine, coffee and a liqueur if you wished. This was a very pleasant way to round off the day, sharing conversation and tips about visiting the sights with fellow guests. The staff always managed this in such a way that language was no problem (If you book dinner for three nights or more, there is a worthwhile discount.)

The location is close to the Colosseum and the Forum, but a little further from the other main attractions. If you want to wander Rome’s lively streets after dark you might not want to set out again after dinner, so it’s best to have one or more days as B&B and eat in the town. For character and authentic Roman food at a reasonable price we liked L’Antica Birreria Peroni (it’s in the Trip Advisor restaurant reviews). Although close to the Trevi Fountain it seems to cater much more for locals than tourists, and is well worth checking out.

Two things we found out as first timers in Rome:- There are lots of uneven and cobbled surfaces - take your most comfortable walking shoes. Also, take great care when stepping off the pavement - the traffic treats every set of lights like a Formula 1 starting grid and can come at you from unexpected directions. It’s fine if you stick to the proper crossing places, but jaywalking is not recommended.

We would definitely stay at the Lancelot on any future visit to Rome and can recommend it highly to everyone else for its welcoming atmosphere, good food and company, and its quiet but handy location.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep past 8.00, a room at the back might be best.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fickle-traveller
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Fantastic hotel and staff! We just arrived back in the states after a Easter weekend stay in Rome. Initially I had made reservations at an American chain hotel outside the city but after reading many reviews decided it would be better to stay closer in. By the time I added up all the extras I would pay for daily transportation, extra breakfast for my young sons, and internet, it really ended up being a wash money wise so I elected to stay as close to the city sights as I could. I had read great reviews of Hotel Lancelot but was a little apprehensive since the price was so good. Boy were those feelings wrong as we ended up having the best stay I could have imagined there!

As many others have so eloquently stated, even though the location of this hotel is steps away from The Colosseum and The Roman Forum, what really makes this hotel special is the staff! Always helpful, always courteous, always smiling and doing everything they can to make your stay in Rome memorable. From the moment we stepped through the door we had everyone making us feel welcome and at home. Tips on everything from local places with the best pizza to how to avoid the long lines for the sights were plentiful and offered with a smile. The room itself was fine and for a family with 2 young kids who went sight seeing all day was exactly what we needed. Having free WiFi so readily available in all common areas as well as your room was great, as was the breakfast every morning with fresh breads, meats, cheeses, cereals, yogurts, coffee and cakes.

With so many great places to eat in Rome, we elected to only eat at the round table for dinner on Easter Sunday. It was an experience that we will never forget and was the perfect ending to our visit there. Four gourmet courses topped off with ice cream swans all served perfectly in a festive and fun atmosphere. When we go back to the Lancelot, we will definitely eat there more often, if not every night. To sum it up, if you are going to Rome, and don't stay at Hotel Lancelot, you will be missing out on a wonderful experience all in itself.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Gatorfly
Denver
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just returned from Rome where we stayed at the Hotel Lancelot. It was ideal for us. So many places to sit and relax after a day of exploring. Great service, always a smile and immaculate hotel. One night I had an impromptu wine tasting to choose a wine for the evening. The terrace off our room was delightful and we spent some great time there over a pot of tea or a bottle of wine. Breakfast was plentiful and restaurant suggestions were right on. Upon arrival we were given huge glasses of ice cold water and an expresso which help so much to motivate us to enjoy the rest of the day and to slide into Rome time. Great place, would stay there again.

Room Tip: A room with a terrace makes the room feel more spacious. You will have a bit more street noise but i...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BloomingRockyMtns
Reykjavik
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This won‘t be a traditional review and I won’t make the slightest claim to be unbiased…

Rome hosts the global HQ for the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO). As a child in the late 70's I spent weeks in Rome while my father was at meetings at FAO regarding new postings or reporting on completed tasks. We would always stay at Hotel Lancelot and the hotel would normally have its fair share of FAO expats on their way home or on their way to new assignments all over the world. My brother and I explored Rome from the age of 6 to 16 and always considered Hotel Lancelot to be our Roman home more than a “hotel”. Didn’t do that image any damage that the staff more or less remained the same, we would meet old friends and everything was on an extremely friendly first-name basis.

About 25 years after my last stay in Rome I decided to take my wife on an anniversary trip to Rome and the Lancelot. I was a bit worried when we arrived. After all my recollections were through the eyes of a child and it had been nearly a quarter of a century from my last visit. Since that time I have done a lot of traveling and am used to all levels and grades of hotels so I wondered how Hotel Lancelot would compare. Let me assure you it completely met my expectations.

The rooms aren’t huge but they are above average. Certainly bigger than typical London or Paris business class rooms. Certainly smaller than rooms tend to be in the USA. Beds were comfortable, extra pillows and blankets available. The bathrooms are clean and have everything required but nothing luxurious or big. I had no issues with cleanliness, noise, heat or any other item regarding the room. They beat hands down rooms in comparable hotels in London and Paris in regards to furnishing, cleanliness and comfort.
The lobby area was very clean and pleasant. There is a small bar to one side that proved an excellent place for a pre-dinner drink or a post-dinner chat. The staff was extremely helpful and informative. We got directions, suggestions, maps, information and even an umbrella for a rainy day.

The elevator is special… Possibly the smallest one I’ve ever been in. We put our bags in it, pressed the third floor and took the steps. Wouldn’t be surprised if the elevator is hindering the hotel from the extra star they deserve.

I doubt you will ever get a hotel that is central to everything in Rome. To me the key issue in Rome is having a hotel that’s conveniently located regarding transportation. If all roads lead to Rome then all roads and busses in Rome lead to the Coliseum. With the Hotel Lancelot situated so close by and armed with the info and maps from the lobby we started and ended our excursions with a bus-trip. Quick, cheap, convenient and offered a bonus sight-seeing tour.

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the area around the Coliseum so going out to dine isn’t hard. However I strongly encourage you to experience the Round Tables and the full board at the Lancelot. You go to Rome to see all the historic sites. So you are up and about early in the morning and out walking and looking all day. Back at the hotel around six and personally I didn’t really look forwards to going out again to find a restaurant. So for us the full-board option was great. Just go to the dining area, sit down at one of the large round tables and see what table partners you get. We always met interesting people and we would share tips and ideas for the next day of sight-seeing. Got the address of the best ice-cream shop in Rome (owned by a former Swedish pro-football player), a tip to save time in the queue at St. Peters, heard a new story about one site and a warning about another being closed for repairs.

The food was quite good and typical Italian. Sometimes great, sometimes just OK. Never bad. The wine offered won’t get any prizes but it was appropriate and plentiful.

If I didn’t have the past connection with Hotel Lancelot then would I recommend it?
No doubt. In fact I have already told several friends that have gone to Rome to stay there. None of them have complained. I for one am definately coming back.

Gestur Traustason

Room Tip: If you donðt mind the steps then go up!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple