“Terrific location, wonderful staff”
Review of Hotel Lancelot

Hotel Lancelot
Ranked #32 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Woodbridge,California
“Terrific location, wonderful staff”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We returned to Hotel Lancelot again this fall after visiting last year. We really enjoy this hotel and the people who own and run it. We have always been treated with the utmost respect and welcoming attitude.

Our rooms were great this year- one with a balcony. Yes, the rooms can be small, but they are clean and very well appointed. No complaints here!!

We have enjoyed dinner several times during both of our stays. It is especially nice when Mr. Khan and his mother join the group. Such interesting people with wonderful experiences to share.

When traveling, my husband and I don't always expect the same amenities that one would expect in the U.S. We just go with the flow and enjoy our visits.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gudava

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I went to Rome on business and was put in a very poor hotel on Via Nazionale (I will not say which one). After two days of extreme discomfort in a hot, dark room with a bed that was barely large enough for my 5'3" frame, and no other rooms available, I looked into other hotels and Lancelot was the second place I called. They luckily had one single room available, so I checked out of my other hotel and went to the Lancelot at 10am. The staff was incredibly nice, offering me breakfast while I waited a short time for my room to be available. My single room was the same size as at the other hotel but infintely nicer, with a larger, much more comfortable bed, and just as luck would have it, my own balcony which looked out on the courtyard and neighboring buildings.

I cannot rave enough about the staff, who were all helpful and friendly, and went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. One conceirge gave me detailed tips on where I should walk on my at this point short time left in Rome, and his suggestions were just slightly off the beaten track and very worth seeing. He also made me a lovely pot of tea when I came back very tired from my walk, and later in the evening, seated my two friends who had stopped by to pick me up to go out to dinner in the courtyard with a glass of wine while they waited for me. These things go above and beyond in the area of customer service.

The breakfast at the hotel was large and varied, and the big tables in the dining room encourage guests to socialize. The price for my room was very, very reasonable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: This is very close to the Colloseum but on a very quiet street, so I would think all the rooms are g...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Stevensville, Michigan
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My husband and I spent 3 days in Rome enjoying our stay at The Hotel Lancelot. It is nicely located within walking distance to all you could want to see in Rome. Restaurants close by and from the 6th floor terrace you could see the Colosseum, which at night is a very romantic spot. The staff was so helpful suggesting places for our dinning pleasure. Our room was very nice as was the bathroom. We had been warned about small towels in Italy but found nice large plush towels here.The bed was comfortable even for my 6'2 husband as were the pillows. We had the best time at Breakfast meeting new people and listening to their experiences of their recent travels. The food was more than you would expect and all was tasty. We drove during our stay in Italy and it was so nice to park your car in a gated area safe from the streets. All in all this was a perfect suggestion that we got from our Rick Steves book on Rome and we even got a fabulous discount with his book. If we ever get the chance to return to Rome we will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
minneapolis
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We recently stayed at the Lancelot for our 1 night in Rome. This was the second time I have sayed at this hotel. I love the location of this place, it really helped us make the most out of our one day prior to flying home! The hotel is located within a few blocks of the Roman coleseum and Forum and yet it is really quite at night. The rooms are fairly simple but very clean and quite.

The hotel staff is very professional and very helpful. They helped us with several things - all with a smile. The rooms are reasonably priced for the location and I would stay here again when I return to Rome. The hotel serves a meal each night but we did not eat there so no comment there.

If you need a place to stay in Rome I would recommend the Lancelot.

Room Tip: Enjoy a bottle of wine in their enclosed courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband and I recently spent four days at the Lancelot which is in a perfect location for getting out and seeing the sights of Rome. There is a warm and friendly atmosphere at this hotel and the staff could not be more helpful. Our room was very clean and comfortable with an excellent bed and choice of pillows. Excellent continental breakfast and as the dining room has round tables which are set for six or more people, it was fun to meet other travellers and exchange stories. We had chosen the half-board option and at the end of a long day of sightseeing it was a pleasant thought that all we had to do was shower, change, enjoy an aperitif at the bar before heading to the dining room where a delicious three-course dinner was served. Far more relaxing than having to venture out into the streets in search of a place to eat! We will definitely return to the Lancelot on our next trip to Rome.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I have just stayed in this hotel for 4 nigths with my husband and daugther. Despite we arrive early in the morning, much before the check in time, we were pleseant welcomed and invited to refresh and wait taking a breakfast. I asked for a room with balcony and, although it was not a large sized room, drink a champagne, in the evening looking the coliseum it was just perfect. I have to say that the great location, amazing view, the spotless rooms and the wonderful breakfast, and mainly the outstanding staff always available and helpfull, make impossible do not write a review. I would like to thank the Lancelot team very much for the welcome and the service!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Tillsonburg, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed at this wonderful hotel in October, 2012 and both my husband and I absolutely loved it!
The hotel itself is a charming combination of old and new, tucked away on a sidestreet within walking distance to many of Rome's incredible destinations. When you step out of the gated entrance onto Via Capo d'Africa you can actually see the Coloseum. There is a dining room and several lovely places to sit and relax on the lobby level. These rooms are decorated with comfortable furniture, interesting prints, books, sculptures, knick-nacks and just checking them all out was an adventure in itself. There was a very nice courtyard to sit in, the bar was small but very welcoming and there was a tiny elevator and a ramp to make this hotel accessible to all mobility levels.
The staff were beyond helpful and welcoming, doing everything in their power to please visitors with kindness and grace. They kept the rooms, both private and public, immaculately clean. We saw not one speck of dust or dirt anywhere. It was such a pleasure to stay in a hotel that obviously takes such pride in such matters.
Our room was small but well appointed. We had a comfortable queen sized bed with nice bedding, two tiny, olive-wood night tables, a glass topped console table, a small but modern TV, a small rattan bench, a chair, a small closet containing nice fluffy extra pillows (no squashed flat pillows here) and blanket, and a small, bright, very clean bathroom. My husband and I felt this was plenty of space for us since we planned to be out exploring the city as much as possible. Still, the few nights I went to bed early, exhausted from a rigorous day of sightseeing, I did not feel 'cooped up' in our small room. The high ceilings and long windows helped keep this room from feeling claustrophobic. The bathroom was really a one-person-at-a-time room unless one person was showering, but we managed quite well and enjoyed the nice quality soaps and shampoos.
We travelled with our almost 7-month pregnant daughter, her husband, their 4 year old son and their 18 month old daughter. Ha! I can almost hear you gasp! The children are stellar travelers and their parents, I am proud to say, have a great attitude about how to make travel a good experience for all. Their room was a bit larger than ours, with a daybed for our grandson and a pack-and-play type crib for our granddaughter. Their room also had an adorable outdoor space as well. It was a private patio, for lack of a better word, with walls, plants, a bistro table and chairs...an absolutely safe place for them to let off a bit of steam while their mom and dad were getting ready for the day.
Breakfast was included in our stay at the Hotel Lancelot and if you came away from their breakfast dining room hungry you must be a very picky eater indeed! There were breads, jams, peanut butter, Nutella, pastries, cereals, fruits and juices, hard-boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, coffee, tea, milk...as much as you could hold...and a few people took away a small number of items to snack on during the day. The woman who looked after the breakfast dining room was an absolute marvel, whisking away dirty dishes, laying new places, cleaning up spills, replenishing the buffet, all with a friendly smile.
We ate supper once at the hotel. Supper was at 7:30 and they asked that you let them know if you will be attending by 6:30. We had a very nice meal, good service and a lovely visit afterwards with the owner's son who is a manager and cook for the hotel. A great, relaxing evening!
If you want to be in the center of things when you visit Rome...within walking or bus distance from Rome's many charms...and you also want a safe, economical, charming place to stay, I recommend this hotel hands down! I have travelled through Europe and North America and have stayed in few hotels that are better equipped or have more personality than this one. Happy Trails To You!

Room Tip: Sorry! Even though there was no fitness center or pool I rated them as excellent because I couldn...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family