“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #137 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
San Francisco, California
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2006

I just returned from a one week stay at the Hotel Navona in Rome, where I thoroughly enjoyed what I believe was a true Roman experience. The LOCATION of this place is absolutely ideal, as it is within a few steps of Piazza San Eustaccio, where one can find the best coffee in the City; a few steps from the bus stop which delivers you from Termini Station; a few steps from the Piazza Navona, Romes greatest public space; a few steps from the Pantheon, Rome's oldest fully-intact temple to the gods. This is right where I wanted to be. As far as the negative reviews which complain about the size of the rooms being small, this is certainly true, but this is a small hotel in a very cool building several hundred years old, in an area of PRIME real estate. That character was what I was looking for. And the rooms were absolutely spotless. None of the other hotels where I would even consider staying in this excellent neighborhood (the rafael, albergo delsenato) are in this price range. And the staff were among the friendliest people I met in Rome. I will indeed be going back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — it suited me just fine
  • Tips/Secrets — hang out in the lobby and be friendly; a lot of interesting people seem to stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
10 Thank romatect

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2006

May 26th arrived at the Hotel Navona and immediately thought it was charming, the courtyard, staircase and lobby. We were greeted by a women when we arrived at the front desk who was very nice and helpful, I was expecting a beast after reading the reviews on this forum. All of the staff was extremely helpful and courteous, we asked for extra pillows and towels because we had 3 adults. They arrived at our room right away.

We had room # 2 which was a triple so it was probably larger than most, very clean. The beds were okay, (mine squeeked) sheets were clean, suitcases fit under the beds so it gave us extra room. Large wardrobe with lots of hangers. Bathroom was small but clean. We asked for a hairdryer, they gave us one that was better than mine at home!

We enjoyed breakfast, hot american coffee, orange juice and warm rolls. We did not eat the pre-packaged pastries so I can't comment on them but we did stop the night before at a bakery, after the first morning and purchased fabulous pastries, cookies and biscotti and took them to breakfast with us every morning.

The location was the BEST we walked everywhere!! We were so tired at night, we never heard street noise at night but we had all of the windows closed and shutters and had the air conditioning on, which was great to come home to in the afternoon for our rest time before heading back out.

We paid 175 euros a night and feel very happy about what we got for the money, I'm sorry that so many people did not enjoy this Hotel like we did, I would definitely return to Hotel Navona!

7 Thank LollyClark
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2006

The hotel is well situated but besides that it was expensive :Euros180 per night even though the guidebooks price it as moderate. I asked specifically for a quiet room and received precisely the opposite: traffic and pedestrian noise all night long. The bathroom stank to high heaven and the beds were not comfortable. The breakfast was worse than a McDonalds fast food experience. Cheap, packaged croissant, cheap cereals - nothing to write home about here.
Overall I would say this is probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed in on holidayand I am not extremely fussy! The staff were friendly and accommodating although they did not accept a credit card and wanted cash or trveller's cheques in Euros only. A waste of money and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
derby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2006

Just returned from a stay at theHotel Navona...or should I say an apartment they owned on the Vittiore Emanuelle....a 10 minute walk away.
The apartment was booked back in January by an Italian speaking friend, and a price was agreed .Hoever when we arrived there was some dispute over the agreed price and the elderly owner didnt care if we stayed or not. He demanded 20 euros a night more and cash up front.Unable to resolve the issues,wWe proceeded to the apartment...very spacious but very basic.The sheets were darned and had holes in them!! The kitchen had an odd array of chipped crockery and two saucepans that I refused to use as they were so disgusting.The management did agree to change the sheets but as for the kitchen we were told was to be used" only in emergencies" and we could go to the hotel for brakfast .....We went to breakfast twice and decided to buy elsewhere as it really wasnt worth the 10 minute walk each morning.

At the end of our stay we paid the original agreed fee as we dealt with Cory who remembered the original conversation back in Jan and was very kind and helpful...it was such a pity that the older man and the sour faced woman werent as obliging.
Dont think I would make a return to the Navona

Interesting to see no one else who has left comments seems to have stayed in the apartment!!!

1 Thank lynnderby
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2006

We stayed at the Navona for 2 nights last week and after reading the comments on T A were pleasantly surprised with what we found. The bedroom was comfortable and the bathroom was cleaner than some 5 star hotels. The terrible tales of 'disgusting' breakfast shouldn't be believed - it was more than adequate - juice, rolls, croissants, jam, butter, tea or coffee. Other guests at the hotel who we spoke to all had positive reports and of course the wonderful location couldn't be bettered. We would definitely stay there again, Good value for money.

16 Thank rekrab
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2006

I stayed at Hotel Navona 10 -14 April 2006 with my wife and 11 year old son. The room, and taxi transfer, was booked in January and the hotel organised everything as requested.
2 weeks before the visit, I stumbled on the TA website and I was horrified with some of the reviews (ie the most recent ones) I expected stopping in a "hovel" owned by a mad Basil Faulty type manager!! My experience is neither of these were true.
I found the hotel served the purpose for the money I paid (we were only charged for 1 night on credit card when I booked and I was not asked to pay up front)
Our triple room was of an adequate size and very clean, with 3 single beds which were comfortouble. The bathroom was small but all 3 appliances were in good service. Towels were changed daily and the room was cleaned on the same basis.
The room backed onto the famous courtyard complete with neighbours washing and some rubbish, not the best view in Rome but we didn't pay for the view!
The free breakfast was an experience, but we had a laugh with the other guests and skipped it after the first day (Get a takeout at a local cafe 6E for 3)
As reviewed before, the location cannot be beaten..All the major attractions max 25 minutes walk and Piazza Navona 200 yards.
The staff were there when you needed them but apart from saying hello and goodbye, we didnt bother them and them us
I think this hotel is a good base for a visit to Rome,at an affordable price in an unbeatable location. Dont expect 5 star luxury at 1 star prices. I would advise organising a taxi transfer from the airport which saves a lot of hassle and has the advantage of you being dropped off at the doorstep thus saving enough energy to walk the 30 steps to the hotel reception, again onother previously noted negative point which I didnt see as a major problem

• Stayed April 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2006

I could have given this place 2 "stars" but on the whole there are more negative things to say than positive. The location is ideal, but the rooms are *tiny*, the breakfast *terrible*, and the staff *unfriendly*. If you're travelling in the off-season, check out last minute deals at Hotel Pantheon--we stayed there one night for the same price and it was *wonderful*. Skip the Hotel Navona and keep searching elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2006