“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Navona

Hotel Navona
Ranked #114 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 20 September 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Navona back in May 2006 (from 10th - 13th). A Romantic Break.

We were recommended this hotel from my boyfriends parents who stayed here at the begining of the year.

We stayed in room 14 (I think) right at the top. It was a good size room. We had a nice double bed - altough is squeeked alot - which got on mine and my boyfriends nerves after a while. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower was fantastic! Clean towerls everyday and bed made everyday.

Breakfast was nice, it was basic - orange juice in a plastic cup, strong coffee and some pasteries - which was nice enough.

The reception was not 24hr, so you had to remember to take your key with you otherwise after 10pm you were locked out!

The staff and hotel owners were very nice and gave you a free map and instructions on how to get places.

Its a fantastic location for sighseeing. Piazza Navona is breathe- taking along with the Pantheon, which is 'just' around the corner, St Peter's and the Cupola is a MUST, although I would definatly recommend getting there before 9am, im glad we got up extra early otherwise the ques are massive. Castel Sant'Angelo is good fun to walk around and see. The Colosseum is a MUST too - that was amazing. The Roman Forum is wonderful, you can walk and walk and walk around this all day and see something new and amazing each time. For this I think you will need a whole day to do - I did the Colosseum & the Roman Forum in one day and I think it needs a good full day or maybe 2 days - but its a good walk from the hotel and on a hot day - it could be bit ott.

The Trevi Fountain is just wonderful - but its very very busy at all times. I recommend going both day and night, first and last thing to see it in its full glory! Watch out for those people who try to sell you red roses and stuipid toys - they see you coming before you do and they WILL rip you off. Just say no, but after a while you do start to loose your temper with them, so thats why I recommed go there in the morning and late at night (but not too late!)

We got ripped off - they put the roses in your hand and say "gift, I give you gift" so you think brillant and walk off with your "gift" and then they come after you with how many euro's this "gift" costs! Its easier to say no and walk on.

We did find somewhere brillant to eat in Rome - its right by the Trevi Fountain. As you look at the Trevi its to the right of you, about 50 yards round the corner. I cant remember what it was called, but the menu had a chickens head as the logo - sounds odd - but the food was fantastic - we went there 2 nights in a row.

We also had to go to the piazza navona for a coffee on the last day, expensive as it was it was nice to have a coffee and people watch.

The buses are grate too - although very busy. Its something like 1 € for 45 mins on any bus. We brough tickets there and back from the bus station - although we never got checked, its always better to pay the 1 € than been fined or chucked off!

If I was going back to Rome I would definately stay at the Hotel Navona.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stocker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed 29 August 2006

I've stayed at the Hotel Navona twice, and both times I've been very pleased. The rooms are small but very comfortable and clean, and the staff was courteous and helpful. The location could not be better. I highly recommend Hotel Navona.

• Stayed: April 2004, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank BostonMaureen
Reviewed 1 August 2006

I just returned from a one week stay at the Hotel Navona in Rome, where I thoroughly enjoyed what I believe was a true Roman experience. The LOCATION of this place is absolutely ideal, as it is within a few steps of Piazza San Eustaccio, where one can find the best coffee in the City; a few steps from the bus stop which delivers you from Termini Station; a few steps from the Piazza Navona, Romes greatest public space; a few steps from the Pantheon, Rome's oldest fully-intact temple to the gods. This is right where I wanted to be. As far as the negative reviews which complain about the size of the rooms being small, this is certainly true, but this is a small hotel in a very cool building several hundred years old, in an area of PRIME real estate. That character was what I was looking for. And the rooms were absolutely spotless. None of the other hotels where I would even consider staying in this excellent neighborhood (the rafael, albergo delsenato) are in this price range. And the staff were among the friendliest people I met in Rome. I will indeed be going back.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
10  Thank romatect
Reviewed 8 June 2006

May 26th arrived at the Hotel Navona and immediately thought it was charming, the courtyard, staircase and lobby. We were greeted by a women when we arrived at the front desk who was very nice and helpful, I was expecting a beast after reading the reviews on this forum. All of the staff was extremely helpful and courteous, we asked for extra pillows and towels because we had 3 adults. They arrived at our room right away.

We had room # 2 which was a triple so it was probably larger than most, very clean. The beds were okay, (mine squeeked) sheets were clean, suitcases fit under the beds so it gave us extra room. Large wardrobe with lots of hangers. Bathroom was small but clean. We asked for a hairdryer, they gave us one that was better than mine at home!

We enjoyed breakfast, hot american coffee, orange juice and warm rolls. We did not eat the pre-packaged pastries so I can't comment on them but we did stop the night before at a bakery, after the first morning and purchased fabulous pastries, cookies and biscotti and took them to breakfast with us every morning.

The location was the BEST we walked everywhere!! We were so tired at night, we never heard street noise at night but we had all of the windows closed and shutters and had the air conditioning on, which was great to come home to in the afternoon for our rest time before heading back out.

We paid 175 euros a night and feel very happy about what we got for the money, I'm sorry that so many people did not enjoy this Hotel like we did, I would definitely return to Hotel Navona!

7  Thank LollyClark
A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2006

The hotel is well situated but besides that it was expensive :Euros180 per night even though the guidebooks price it as moderate. I asked specifically for a quiet room and received precisely the opposite: traffic and pedestrian noise all night long. The bathroom stank to high heaven and the beds were not comfortable. The breakfast was worse than a McDonalds fast food experience. Cheap, packaged croissant, cheap cereals - nothing to write home about here.
Overall I would say this is probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed in on holidayand I am not extremely fussy! The staff were friendly and accommodating although they did not accept a credit card and wanted cash or trveller's cheques in Euros only. A waste of money and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2006

Just returned from a stay at theHotel Navona...or should I say an apartment they owned on the Vittiore Emanuelle....a 10 minute walk away.
The apartment was booked back in January by an Italian speaking friend, and a price was agreed .Hoever when we arrived there was some dispute over the agreed price and the elderly owner didnt care if we stayed or not. He demanded 20 euros a night more and cash up front.Unable to resolve the issues,wWe proceeded to the apartment...very spacious but very basic.The sheets were darned and had holes in them!! The kitchen had an odd array of chipped crockery and two saucepans that I refused to use as they were so disgusting.The management did agree to change the sheets but as for the kitchen we were told was to be used" only in emergencies" and we could go to the hotel for brakfast .....We went to breakfast twice and decided to buy elsewhere as it really wasnt worth the 10 minute walk each morning.

At the end of our stay we paid the original agreed fee as we dealt with Cory who remembered the original conversation back in Jan and was very kind and helpful...it was such a pity that the older man and the sour faced woman werent as obliging.
Dont think I would make a return to the Navona

Interesting to see no one else who has left comments seems to have stayed in the apartment!!!

1  Thank lynnderby
Reviewed 8 May 2006

We stayed at the Navona for 2 nights last week and after reading the comments on T A were pleasantly surprised with what we found. The bedroom was comfortable and the bathroom was cleaner than some 5 star hotels. The terrible tales of 'disgusting' breakfast shouldn't be believed - it was more than adequate - juice, rolls, croissants, jam, butter, tea or coffee. Other guests at the hotel who we spoke to all had positive reports and of course the wonderful location couldn't be bettered. We would definitely stay there again, Good value for money.

16  Thank rekrab