“Unique Boutique Hotel”

Spagna Royal Suite Rome
Ranked #39 of 1,170 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My family of 4 (2 teenage children) stayed at this hotel last week and had a great time. When we first arrived, we didn't know what to expect because there is no sign outside. Just a buzzer. Seemed very strange at first. They do answer the buzzer immediately though and once inside you are facing a very small elevator. But once upstairs and you see how many floors the hotel rooms occupy, and you see the unique decorations on each floor, you will be pleasantly surprised. Our room was on the jungle floor with 2 king beds. The room is not very large, but it is clean and very comfortable. The rooms are also very quiet. Didn't hear any other guests at all or any noise from the street. There was even a Rolling Stones concert at Circus Maximus one night, and our tour guide said we will be up all night from the noise. But we never heard a thing.
The shower was large with a rain shower head. They even provided an American hair dryer - very unusual in Italy! Air conditioning worked great. The breakfast was basic Italian options, but they are very willing to get you more of anything they have. The location is amazing. 2 min to the Spanish steps (fountain at bottom is closed for renovation), 5 min walk to Tivoli fountain (which is getting cleaned and there is no water running). They are friends with owners of Life Restaurant around the corner. Good food but a little pricey. If you ask hotel staff will make a reservation, and restaurant will save you a nice seat outside. Overall a wonderful hotel in a very convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the jungle floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy W
Management response:Responded 30 December 2015

Dear Judy W, thank you very much for your review.
I'm currently in charge of replying to all comments about our Hotel and I decided to take care of the old reviews as well, just to let you know how important has been for us and to inform you about important improvements we made to Spagna Royal Suite.
Since the time you was our Guest, we grown bigger and added variety to the offer of rooms, keeping a focus on what we consider our distinctive sign, create a luxury brand in the hospitality business in Rome.
Our success has its roots on the perseverance to follow a dream that our Owner instill in all of us, on the passion that we put on our job everyday and on the gratification that we receive as a result of all the Guests that, like you, choose our Hotel for their stay in Rome and then, with reviews like yours, confirm the feeling of the same vibration, the same emotion, the same astonishment that we always feel.
I'll be happy to receive your feedback, you can always write to the Hotel's e-mail address specifying my full name on the subject; and if you'll like to come and stay again with us, contact me as well and you will have a very special treatment.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel is a little difficult to find because there is no sign outside, you just have to walk down the street until you come to #3 and locate the panel of buzzers on the outside wall. They promptly respond to the buzzer and unlock the door. As other reviews have stated, the main door in and the tiny elevator are no indication of what awaits. We were a little frazzled when we got to the hotel because during our brief three stop metro ride, we witnessed a little pickpocket scene, which resulted in several stolen wallets - luckily not ours. We were offered a glass of Prosecco at check in, and as my daughter said, "Rome quickly redeemed itself!". The hotel has a "luxe" look to it, and has a wonderful smell of aromatherapy throughout. There was a street lamp right outside our window and we didn't realize until the day we were leaving that there are shutters on the window so you can close them without having to close the drapes and block the a/c unit! Even though noise never was an issue and disturbed our sleep, I would suggest closing the shutters since people walk the streets of Rome late at night. The breakfast was typical with some meats, rolls, cereals and very good cappuccino. The location is wonderful and one of the greatest memories we took home with us was from the hotel window, where a sweet couple sang opera for tips. Other than intermittent wi fi service, which we found to be the norm in all our hotels in Italy, our overall stay was great. The location is safe and we found we wanted to walk everywhere, both day and night and did not rely on the Metro or public transport. The Metro is a short walk from the hotel and can get you to Termini train station in no time. A word of caution, be alert on the Metro - pickpockets tend to "stage" commotion to cause distraction.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie K
Management response:Responded 30 December 2015

Dear Debbie K, thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel looks very discouraging from the outside with no signage and entrance lobby. You are buzzed in and taken to a tiny 2-person elevator. But once you get to the reception lobby at the 4th flr, the experience turns into a pleasant surprise. The service is very warm and friendly, the rooms are very creatively decorated, with everything you might need. The breakfast was simple but satisfying. The breakfast areas on the 1st and 4th flrs were both beautiful.

I would've given it a 5-star rating if not for the not-so-minor issue with our bathroom.
We booked an executive suite but got upgraded to a junior suite. Apparently this was because the bath tub was damaged by a prior guest and is not usable. That was fine. However, even the shower area was affected and the glass walls were temporarily replaced with a thin sheet of plywood. <pictures attached>

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Achikins
Management response:Responded 30 December 2015

Dear Achikins, thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I travel a lot and I have to say Spagna Royal Suite in Room was one of the most special hotels we ever stayed in. Every room was differently themed, and Massimo was nice enough to show us most of the rooms. The hotel is very well kept, they pay great attention to details, ITs just really special. I highly recommend it, its in a perfect location, very clean, very special.Will defiantly go back there on our third trip to Rome,

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room, just be surprised, They are all great and its very hard to cho...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 30 December 2015

Dear DimaDooma, thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have just returned following 3 nights in this hotel and it was really lovely. Some of the things that other reviewers have complained about are the things that I loved most. The fact that the hotel can not be detected from the street, for example, made it feel like a hidden gem. The lift was really old-fashioned and rather quaint. My husband used it without any issues, and because I am slightly nervous of enclosed spaces, I used the stairs, which were no problem.

Our welcome was fantastic, the staff could not do enough for us. Once we had checked in, however, they were very respectful and left us to enjoy our holiday without interruption.

The hotel itself is beautifully decorated and we got lots of photos of each of the floors. We were on the woodland themed floor and our room had the cow pattern on the wall above the bed. It wasn't as small as i was expecting following other reviews and it was very practical with a well stocked minibar!

The breakfast was better than expected. Lots of cereals and breads, croissants etc. with ham and cheese and various jams and marmalades. There was plenty to choose from and more than enough to fill us both up every morning.

The location was literally a 3 minute walk from the spanish steps, amongst lots of wonderful shops and restaurants.

We'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kat H
Management response:Responded 30 December 2015

Dear Kat H, thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, having stayed in hundreds of hotels across the globe over the last 20 years, we would recommend that you do not stay here! We extended our trip in Rome having previously stayed at a great hotel elsewhere but they didn't have availability for an extra night so we stayed at the Spagna Royal Suite, our previous Hotel rang around and found this one based on it's Tripadvisor rating (how it got this I do not know - buyer beware). We gave our credit card details as a pre-authorisation only however when we arrived we were told that the full amount had already been taken. We were shown to our room for 220 Euros and is was like a shoe box and not at all like the website pictures - this is a cheap 'bling' hotel (the photos you may see are communal areas and the bedrooms simply do not compare). This hotel has absolutely no class and non existent customer service, we honestly don't know how it has been rated as good, all we can say is don't believe it. The room was completely filthy dirty all over, it was covered in stains everywhere and was really grubby with insect infestations, dirty handprints, unclean linen with holes in, lumpy dirty pillows, a wafer thin mattress protector with holes in! to name just a few hygiene issues. We went to reception to complain and was told 'tough' The owner refused to speak to us and flatly refused, despite acknowledging it was filthy, to give us our money back so that we could find another hotel (we hadn't used the room and according to the manager the room could have been easily re let that same day). He suggested we went so he could keep our money and re let it as is. We went to the police but the laws in Italy are different and we had to pay for this filthy room. The staff were so rude and shouted at us and spoke to us in such a terrible way. If you like clean rooms with a nice breakfast and good customer service backed by fair and reasonable policies for guests DO NOT STAY HERE. This review is not an exaggeration.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank anonymous445
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently and while we were looking forward to it after corresponding with hotel staff who were always prompt and professional, we found it exceeded our expectations.
The location is great, central to everything and easy to get to. Check in was a breeze, the hotel reception being open 24 hours - Clear instructions and a map and bidding us a good nights sleep after we arrived having spent almost 24 hours travelling.
Our rooms were upgraded when they realised we were four including our two grown up kids which gave us plenty of room.
Our room was lovely and staff were very helpful in adjusting the bathroom window at our request. Amenities are great and topped up each day.
Breakfast was perfect, just the right amount as we are not big breakfast eaters. The coffee is excellent and served by very friendly and competent staff.
We really enjoyed our stay here and will definitely choose this hotel if and when we return to Rome!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank yd_sydney
Management response:Responded 30 December 2015

Dear Yd_sydney, thank you very much for your review.