“Caring staff”
Review of Hotel Appia 442

Hotel Appia 442
Ranked #581 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Last month I stayed at Hotel Appia 442 for fifteen nights and have never written reviews as they’re subjective, depending on where you live initially. Nonetheless, I will offer my review of this stay. The hotel is located in Giovannetti, a very vibrant community, which is a six stop underground train ride from Termini, costing adults a nominal fee of 1.50 euros one way. This metro is located immediately below this hotel providing an immense convenience to visitors, one that allowed me to visit with much ease. The hotel, which has been renovated, is an older building with a walk up of a flight of stairs at which time, a small elevator is available to take you upstairs. The hotel is secure offering entry solely for guests which was comforting to me traveling solo.

This area is conveniently located insofar as amenities go; for example, an internet bar is around the corner, laundromat down the street, several restaurants with many café bars including pizza offerings at nominal prices. Too there is a grocery store nearby and small food store if you want to pick up some food items rather than eating out daily. There are outdoor kiosks selling differing items like books, clothing, snacks and open until 8pm daily. I appreciated the hotelier’s kind and specific directions on how to get to the hotel from the airport in a more economical way. I chose to take a taxi return to airport knowing that I would be tired from travelling which cost 95 euros return.

I found the staff here very gracious, generous, friendly and accommodating, especially for those lacking the language skill like myself. The daily breakfast offerings were plentiful and having water and juices in the mini room fridge was a big help. The hospitality was warm and inviting as were hotel staff who were available to help thoughtfully including a hominess such as having a digestive drink after being out all day visiting sites. Too, the fruit bowl availability was important to me much like home. The hotelier communicated with me online promptly which was reassuring, before arrival. I was initially met with a glass of orange juice upon my arrival which was such a treat given that flying through three time zones can leave one parched.

While my single room was small, my needs were met such as regular replenishment of bedding and towels which one really needs especially during a warmer spell in Rome. My room was kept clean as staff exhibited cheerful, diligent and care about maintaining my room. Thoughtfully, I was offered juice and a cappachino daily, with concern about adding sufficient milk content with my sensitivity towards caffeine intake as I’m not a coffee drinker normally; however, I lived as Romans live while in Rome. I found this beverage delicious and making a cup specifically for me made me feel welcome and at home. Too, the care was extended to others as I noticed that one young single traveller was advised in regards to security which was yet another example of staff showing genuine concern for their clientele, suggesting they want repeat business. This is a small hotel with hands on staff to take care of your needs being available to not only address them but going so far as to have a welcome pamphlet offering details that guests can only appreciate especially in such a large overwhelming city like Rome, which has so much going on.
It’s a non-smoking hotel in a city which is a smokers’ mecca. Although small, I had everything I needed such as air conditioning, cold water/drinks in fridge, sufficient shelves and closet space, a clean bathroom regularly maintened, including a large bath towel and t-towels with shower, bidet and toilet. There was even a rack in bathroom where I could hang things to dry that were hand washed. I did look for small boxed laundry soap in store nearby but didn’t find that in grocery stores so did buy bars of soap for washing out things at night. While the TV is located high on the wall, with no adjustable features, it gave me an opportunity to rest while lying on the bed in the evenings. In future, I would ask for a room in the back rather than the side street, offering more quietude. I would return here for a future visit as my impression was that this was a small hotelier with staff who cared about their lodging facilities and serious about providing proper care to their guests.

Vancouver, BC

Room Tip: Check for availability of a room in back of hotel offering more quietude.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Advocatie

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Great location right next to the metro but in a nice neighborhood where we walked to dinner each night that one of the hotel owners recommended to us. Rooms were a little on the small side but when in Rome. They were nicely decorated with a modern feel, nice shower. We had a lot of problems with our AC, but we managed. Nice staff, great location. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you for your kind words and in the hoping to see you again in the future we say goodbyeby!!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

i had a single room for four nights and was very pleasantly surprised. the hotel rooms are practically new with state of the art facilities. exceptionally clean and well serviced daily. a small fridge provides complimentary water, soft drinks, juices and the like.
as others have said, the external building and neighborhood is not outstanding, but nice inside you feel a million miles away from the outside. one of the best parts was the convenience of the metro station at the door, especially as it means you don't have to lug your suitcases very far! and thankfully there is a lift and escalators at the station so you don't need to contend with the stairs up/ down to the underground. phew!
the hospitality was exceptional, and the only reason i hesitated to give a full excellent rating was just a little thing that i witnessed from the host Sandra at breakfast one morning.... with breakfast included i understand the temptation for guests to pick up a few extra items from the buffet to take with them for the day, I've done the same thing myself on occasion, so i would ink it would be the hoteliers expectation ad understanding that guests will do this.... however Sandra commented to no one in particular in the breakfast room, after witnessing a guest help the selves to some extra cheeses on their way out, how it surprised her how greedy people could be, or something to that effect. as I said only a minor thing really, it just amused me that the service being offered is above par, and yet she was fussing about some cheeses.
I even had her say to myself when I had swapped one of my provided sparkling waters from my mini bar fridge with that of still water on my way out the door, that I would be charged for taking extras from the breakfast room, until I explained I had swapped it as I preferred still water!
anyway apart from these silly little things, the hotel and overall service are by far superior for the price and absolutely great value for money. I would definitely stay here again if ever to return to Rome and would highly recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BonnieMelb
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear guest, thank you for your kind words, however I would like to remind you that Hotel Appia 442 does not charge extra to customers. In fact, neither you or the other guests have paid more money for the use of wi-fi, the contents of the mini-bar, liquor counter, fruit available all day,.. In return we ask our guests to eat what they want during breakfast but to provide for their snack, using one of the many bars that the city of Rome offers. Hoping to see you again in the future, I beg to remain

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed at Hotel Appia for two weeks while in Rome on an extended vacation. The hotel staff truly understand customer service and have mastered the art of customer satisfaction. There is not a single detail that is overlooked by the hotel staff concerning guest comfort. During my stay on numerous occasions, the hotel staff went above and beyond to ensure that I had directions, information concerning local sites, restaurants and bus/metro schedules. Sandra, the hotel owner, made me feel like I was back home during my stay. As others have stated, the hotel is literally on top of a Metro station (Furio Camillo) and will get you to the City Center in a matter of minutes. If you are looking for a well-priced hotel with incredible customer service, clean, comfortable rooms, look no further. Hotel Appia will not disappoint. I will go out of my way to stay here during my next visit to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Tim J
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel in June 2012 . What a fantastic find, the hotel is so well situated right next to the metro station. The hotel is a traditional looking building but modern inside. Three of us stayed in one room with ample space and very clean, the bathroom was well equipped and the free minibar was an unexpected bonus. The owners were so helpful and offered lots of assistance to make our stay more enjoyable. we would certainly stay here again!!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Char120
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

I had the single room at hotel appia and it provided everything required for my stay. On arrival a cappuccino was made for me which I could take to my room. My room was also available at 12pm instead of 3pm. In the mini fridge there is complimentary water and soft drink replenished every day.

The quaint sitting room with free drinks was also nice.

The hotel is above a metro station that connects with the Spanish steps, trevi fountain and Vatican. I did not find it a hassle at all cat hung the metro into town. On a few occasions I walked (good 40 min walk) although the street was quite nice with lots of interesting shops.

The only negative to this hotel is the noise from the street. I had to put in ear plugs to drown out the street noise. However I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Chloeruby24
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

dear guest, we are glad that you liked Hotel Appia 442. We have taken note of the noise and we proceeded to order a window that isolates from the rest of the world. The next time we'll come to find us, you'll sleep without being disturbed. Thanks for notifying it. See you soon

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for five nights in June 2012. It is a fairly new hotel, having been converted from a large appartment in a block of flats in the south of rome. It is consequentially fairly small, but with modern facilities and pleasant decor. It appears to be run by the two owners, who are both charming and speak good English. There is a free minibar (soft drinks only) in the hotel room, perfect for supplying bottles of water for hot days out in the sun, as well as a selection of alcoholic liquors by the front desk to which you can help yourself. Breakfast is typical continental (tea/coffee, cereal, fruit, bread/toast, pastries). There is no lunch or dinner service but there are lots of good-quality cheap restaurants nearby. The hotel is right next to the metro station, making it easy to get to central Rome within 20 minutes. The local area is a bit run down but not unsafe. I would come here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo