“Great base camp for 9 days in Rome”
Review of Hotel de Rome

Hotel de Rome
Ranked #590 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Derry, United Kingdom
“Great base camp for 9 days in Rome”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in room 102 for 8 nights in May 2013. We were immediately hit by the amazing location of the hotel, it is literally a 2 minute walk to the Colosseum and directly opposite the Roman Forum.

As we entered the hotel we were given a very warm welcome from the manager, Fabio. The room wasn't ready yet (it was only 11am) so we happily left our luggage in the office and went for a quick walk around the area. We returned an hour later and the room was ready.
The room itself was small but perfectly adequate. The bed had a memory foam mattress which was firm but very comfortable. The bathroom was recently renovated and modern. The windows were extremely soundproof and we couldn't hear any noise even in our front facing room.

The shower did soak the floor the first time but strategically placed towels minimised the problem! There were 3 large bath towels, one thick hand towel and 4 smaller towels which were all replaced daily. We could not get the air conditioning to work but did not feel the need to complain at reception as we did not mind but we are sure a quick call to the friendly receptionist would have resolved the problem. We experienced a few issues with our door as it did not always automatically lock itself and needed to be closed two or three times before it locked.There is a digital safe in the room so we were very happy to leave our belongings there.

Breakfast is served on the rooftop of the adjoining Hotel Richmond which was a short walk from our room through a corridor to a lift which was found by following just a few arrows.We only ate breakfast here three times as it was the same selection every morning (ham, salad, bread, cereal and pastries) and we wanted to taste a variety of Italian breakfast in different cafés around the city.

On two occasions we enjoyed a bottle of wine in the courtyard.The white wines ranged from €12 to €16 and were served with a huge plate of crisps, nuts and pretzels.We spent a few enjoyable hours in the beautiful courtyard with it's cool water feature.

Check out was swift and hassle free.The receptionist rang a taxi which arrived in three minutes and took us to the airport (Ciampino) in 25 minutes and cost €30 euro which is the set charge.

Overall, our experience was very positive and any small problems were easily forgotten in this beautiful city!

Please note: City tax is payable on departure and costs €3 per person per night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This is my first time visiting Europe and especially Rome Italy thus I didn’t have any preconceived expectations. However Hotel de Rome is one of those places that just feel right. The high points are location, quietness, accessibility, comfort, cleanness and of course the adorable staff. It is close to the train station, the Coliseum, the exhibits, restaurants, ATMs, tobacco store, gelato; I mean everything in the same sidewalk. They assigned me a very cozy, quiet, clean, and comfortable room detached from the main building. The room was restocked and cleaned every day. The staff is very attentive, speak English, and quick to respond to any need you may have.
The hotel downfalls are amenities and breakfast. The hotel needs a nice hot tub, whirlpool or something. After walking all day it would be nice to come to relax. The breakfast is just__________.
But overall it is a good place to stay and of course if you want to spend your Euros there are several fancy hotels in the same block. Thank you Fabio for the room you gave us.

Room Tip: Request the detached rooms in the back.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My wife and I arrived Sunday afternoon, having taken the train in from Citavecchia. It was too early to check-in, so off we went. That afternoon, we saw the Colisseum, Forum, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, and a myriad of churches and ruins not even on our map. The location is what this hotel has to offer, and as we were only staying two nights on our first trip to Rome (cruise ship), we needed to see as much as we could, as easily as we could. For that purpose, we were happy we chose the Hotel de Rome. I don't think I'd have been happy if we'd stayed longer. Other than a room, the hotel has very little else to offer. If a guest wants food, a drink, a cup of coffee, or minor sundries, out the door he'll go. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, a very cool pub around the corner, and a few more blocks walking will get you to shopping. The two issues we had a real problem with are the foul odor coming from the plumbing, and the HARDEST bed we have ever slept on. That bed was a crippler! Previous reviews had mentioned these problems, but I had hoped they would have been corrected months ago. Nope. Because of the odor from the bathroom, we had to keep the windows open the entire time we were in the room, but when we went out we had to lock-up, and back came the smell! My wife and I are Southern Californians, and have been spoiled by big sunny hotel rooms, in big sunny hotels. From what I could see, most of the hotels in Rome were similar boutique style hotels, so I really wasn't disappointed. Minibars would go a long ways...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davel46
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

+ Fantastic location: walking distance from the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Capitoline Hill attractions and museums. A little further are the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Campo di Fiori but we still walked there without breaking a sweat. Nearest Metro is Colosseo. Termini station (from which coaches and trains to airport is two stops away from Colosseo/ 5 min drive.

+ Food: No food in hotel except breakfast which is pretty simple however there are many many wonderful restaurants within walking distance- literally outside the hotel. Not an issue.

+ Room: very simple but adequate. No tea & coffee facilities which is frustrating but given the number of restaurants and cafes surrounding hotel, a hot drink is never far away. The only mirror is in the bathroom which turned out to be an issue...see below...

- Bathroom: extraordinarily BADLY designed. When you take a shower the water runs absolutely everywhere which wouldn't be all doom and gloom if it would dry...but it NEVER dries and it is A LOT of water. As the only mirror in the room was in the bathroom, this meant very wet feet every time I wanted to brush hair/do makeup...used at least 3/4 towles to soak up the mess which was a waste! Very basic toiletries provided (I'm not too fussy but even I stayed away from them!). Bring your own.

- Room cleaning: very poor. I hate leaving the bed undone (one of my pet hates), so I always fold up the sheets and put the duvet over it. Came back to find that the cleaner hadn't even bothered to look under the duvet and thought no one had slept in the bed so it was as I had left it. Once the pillows were all piled up on the table and not on the bed. These are minor complaints but I do believe in value for money and someone is of course getting paid to do this..

- Room service: what room service? No guide or booklets in hotel to help plan your stay which is strange for a place like Rome!

Room Tip: Ask for extra towels to soak up the water in the bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This was a friends trip. We were supposed to travel in 5 and we booked 2 rooms. One double room and one triple. We saw the pictures of the rooms when we booked them and the triple room looked great! Two rooms (one with 2 twin beds side-by-side and the other one with a sofa-bed), terrace and nice bathrrom.

One day before our flight, one of our friends had to cancell the trip. So, we were only four, but we kept the reservations as they were made, since the hotel was already totally booked out.

However, when we checked in at the hotel, our triple room was totally different from the pictures we had seen! Only one very tiny room with 2 small twin beds side-by-side and a third extra small bed, perpendicularly placed by the bottom of the twin beds! The only window was at the roof! Bathroom had no curtains at the shower. Imagine 3 people staying at a room like this!
We spoke to the lady at the front desk and she said that they had no other triple room and she didn´t know what we were talking about. But, she said that on the next day she would be able to move us to a better room that would be vacant.
The next day, we moved to the other room and guess what? It was exactly the one we had booked on the internet! With 2 rooms and terrace. And glass doors on the shower! So, they had booked our room, which we had booked 3 months in advance to someone else!!
Umbelievable!
The first room was really awfull. I hardly could sleep there, since I couldn´t brieth. Our 2 friend who stayed on the double room, also had a hard time with those small beds and soaked bathroom.
The hotel is connected internally to 2 other hotels. The breakfast area is at one of these ther hotels. So in the morning, you need to find your way through a labyrinth of halls, atirways and lifts to get there. Nothing great about the breaksfast.
Location however is perfect. Just next to the Forum and pretty close to the Colosseum. We walked all over the center of Rome and were pretty close to the subway station too, when we needed to go further.
Staff is nice. Internet service was free and sometimes very hard to access at the bedrooms.

Room Tip: Be aware that most rooms are extremely small.So, if that is a problem to you, make sure to talk to m...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lenamaxi
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Anyone staying at this hotel should know a few things that make it extremely unusual. And not in necessarily good ways...

--The rooms are tiny. Not tiny by big city standards, just plain tiny. We had one of the bigger rooms and it was less than 8 feet square. Bathroom was pretty small too. The situation was really untenable in terms of the size. They are ok if you are traveling by yourself but with someone else you will be cramped. The beds are small too. The bigger rooms have a full size bed and the smaller ones have a slightly larger twin. If you do not like small hotel rooms do not stay here. It's never really bothered me in the past but these rooms were so small that it was an issue and extremely uncomfortable.

--Breakfast is in another hotel very far away via a series of twisting and turning stairways and corridors. Annoying but manageable if the breakfast was actually good. It isn't. It wasn't even worth getting up for most days. It consisted of stale/old bread, soft boiled eggs and weak coffee. When I asked for a cappuccino I was told the machine was broken. The toaster didn't work as well.

--The bigger, better rooms are garden ones on a courtyard where, in the time we were there, tons of people smoked, fought (seriously...ongoing argument of some kind), yakked on their cell phones, etc.) There was no privacy. Could not open windows or let down shades. There is one upstairs garden room that might be the only decent room in the hotel. All the rooms in the main building, according to reception, have small 'french beds' and are tinier than these 8 foot cubed featureless, dark, airless boxes. Honestly, could very well have been the worst hotel room ever.

--Security: If you are a women traveling alone or concerned about safety do not stay at this hotel! The rooms are ground floor with no deadbolts. Anyone could get into your room with a butter knife and three seconds of time. We even had a maid open our room and come in while we were sleeping which creeped us out. This alone is the number one reason I would never recommend this hotel.

--Cleanliness is an issue in this hotel. The breakfast patio was disgusting. Everything was dirty. The rooms were moldy and bug infested (ants everywhere!) They left a chocolate easter egg (we were there over easter weekend) that was literally crawling with ants. Gross!

--Front desk: these folks were nice enough if completely ineffectual. The women during the day was really enthusiastic and wanted to help but was woefully unknowledgeable. It was kind of weird how little she knew about the city. And she spent so much time trying to tell us not to eat at the restaurants around the hotel (which were fine and decently priced). The guy during the evening was really funny in his completely disinterest in the job. I actually liked him bc he was extremely real and honest. You could tell he'd rather be doing something else. When I went to talk to him about concerns I had with the room could tell he pretty much tuned out since he'd heard it all before.

Overall the only good thing about this hotel is the location which is a B. The neighborhood is ok with decent restaurants. No real shopping and the closest sites are mostly ancient rome. You will spend time in taxis, metro or buses if you stay here since it isn't terribly central but still good...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael-and-Jose

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

read the reviews before I went and I decided to ignore the petty negative ones! We got to the hotel and walked in and the staff at reception were lovely. Went straight to our room on the ground floor, we were stunned! It was lovely, maybe basic in terms of colour but who cares? Nice and clean, who actually needs more than a bed, wardrobe, bathroom and maybe a tv? The bed was massive, so comfy and I nearly brought the pillows home with me! The bathroom was lush, a wet room style bathroom with a modern sink, toilet and shower. The shower was to die for and who cares if the floor gets wet? It dries quick, and we just put a towel down. Sorted.
New towels and freshly made bed everyday, that was lovely to come back to after 12-13 hours walking around rome. We had a little courtyard off our room and the back garden had tables and chairs and a lovely water feature, we went in march but I imagine I sitting out there in the summer. The breakfast is what you would get in aby Italian hotel, pastries, bread, meat and cheeses etc. Toast, coffee and cereal too. Its ample enough to get you through the morning. As for the wifi, I used it with no problem, dont forget to go to reception and ask for the password and you get a print out of it.
Location...... I nearly cried I was so happy!! Walk to the end of the street (a couple of doors down) to your left u see the colloseum and to your right the vittorio emmannuelle monument and the forum. The hotel is one long street (through piazza venizia) from the tiber and just across that is the vatican! We walked everywhere, it was stunning! I cant recommend this hotel highly enough, I had the most perfect trip and we will be going back, and we WILL stay at the hotel de rome. Also, book a couple of dark rome tours as they were fab too
Very, very, very happy customer

• Stayed March 2013