“Great Location!”

NH Roma Leonardo da Vinci
Ranked #314 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel is wonderfully located. I go to Rome very often for work and always stay here. This hotel is close to everything and yet away from the usual horrendous crowds of tourists that one often encounters in Rome. There are great restaurants and shops all around. It's a short walk across the river to Piazza del Popolo. The staff is very helpful and friendly. I suffer from a health condition and one chambermaid in particular, Renata, always makes sure I am comfortable. This hotel does use very strong cleaning products, and the smell in the rooms can be overwhelming and could be problematic to people who are sensitive to chemical fragrances as I am. The staff at the front desk, however, always accommodates me and changes me to a frangrance-free room if my room smells too strong.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Translucid T

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We spent a week at the da Vinci hotel as part of the canonization events at the end of April (we traveled as part of a tour group). The hotel was about a mile from the Vatican, which was a plus given the crowds in town during the week. The hotel is about a block from a main street with shops and restaurants.

Our party had 3 guests so we were given a first floor (above the lobby) room with three beds (one was in a separate room between the main bedroom and the bathroom). While the room was comfortable, it was very outdated. The air conditioner controls were old turn knobs, and the system struggled to cool the room (it also picked up cigar smoke from those smoking around the corner from the main entrance). There were also very few plugs for charging devices, and they were all the older three prong design (not like conventional European two prong plugs - if my dad hadn't bought adapter plugs for different types of outlets in Italy, we would have been in trouble). The outlets in the main bedroom were also connected to the light switch, so the TV would turn on every time the light switch was turned on.

The bathroom was well equipped (bidet, anyone?) but had no space to place items around the sink without them getting wet.

Breakfast was good, with a wide variety (the bagged breakfasts we got on two tour days were not nearly as good). I think the group would have preferred pots of American-style coffee (which we have gotten at other hotels in Europe) than the concentrated small cups from the automatic machines. The group dinners in the hotel restaurant were nothing special, though (fixed menu served family style). We did eat on our own at the restaurant one night during a free day as well. The menu was small and pricey.

Overall, the hotel met our needs, but I think we would choose elsewhere if we had control of the reservations.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vuwildcat07
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Hotel in great location near Metro line. Walkable distance to Plaza Navona.
Hotel staff friendly and prompt. One of the quietest Hotels I've been in.
Our room was cleaned every day promptly end efficient to our satisfaction by Elena.
It's a place to come back to

Room Tip: Go for the superior room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RpkNeumann
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We spent six nights here. The location is excellent. It is a short walk from the airport bus stop and easily accessible to the subway. Rooms are NH quality - which is to say well appointed with high quality amenities. The breakfast buffet is commendable - particularly the house-made patisserie

We arrived in the morning following a trans-Atlantic flight, that staff we accommodating and allowed us access to our rooms early. Free WiFi is a plus. This is a quiet property in the evening which is a plus. We would return.

Advice: The in room safes use the magnetic strip on your credit card. If you do not want it "remembering" your credit card, any mag card will do. I used a loyalty card from my local grocery store with success.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bluesonwhyte
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was a guest at this hotel on May 9, 2014. I have stayed at this hotel previously and although I had heard that some rooms had issues with bed bugs I had never encountered problems. On this visit I took precautions and upon arrival in the room I immediately put my luggage in the bath tub and commenced to search the bed.I found nothing. I took a short rest and three hours later eight bites were clearly visible on my lower stomach and on my right hip. I complained to the staff, who denied that a problem existed, even after I showed them bites.The manager begrudgingly offered me another room.Not only was I upset with the bites and fearful of transporting them in my luggage,the hotel staff were smug and disinterested in my plight.I would perfer to seek alternate accomodation next time in Rome.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a carpet, if possible the hardwood/laminate is easier to keep bedbug free.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Susan M
Francesco M, General Manager at NH Roma Leonardo da Vinci, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Ms. Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences after your stay with us.
We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the fact that we did not make you feel comfortable in NH Leonardo da Vinci.
The wellbeing of our hotel guests is extremely important to us and it's our policy to immediately check the reasons of our guest complaints.
Qualified technicians regularly inspect our rooms to prevent any kind of pest infestations.
We have an available inspection report related to your room and signed by a licensed pest control company.
"...The inspection of that room did not detect the presence of specimens of "Cimex lectularius" (bed bugs) or tracks, such as dropping or eggs, which could portend a haunting past.
... the room is in a state of Pest free"
We are taking your experience seriously and we will use it in order to re-train our members of staff, in order to prevent experiences like yours in the future.
We hope you will give us a second chance, so that we may have an opportunity to provide you a memorable experience.
Ms. Susan, thank you once again for sharing your experiences with us and we are looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in NH soon.
Best regards,
Francesco Mennella
NH Leonardo da Vinci

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights in May 2014 for a business trip. Check in was slow and could have been far better organised. Clean room but very basic for a hotel of it's supposed standard. There was nothing comforting or pleasing about the room and the beds and pillows were so hard and uncomfortable.

Didn't want to spend time in the room and was pleased to be leaving.

Finally, if you want to use the hotel bar, be prepared to wait and wait and wait. Poor service.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location.

I would not recommend this hotel. There are better hotels in the vicinity without the price tag of this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SharmReviewer
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here for five nights while visiting the Vatican and had an excellent experience. The hotel is clean and modern.

The hotel is just a few blocks from the Lepanto stop on the Metro (subway) line, which gives quick, easy access to the most popular sights in Rome. It's about a one mile walk to St. Peter's Square, and it is located one short block from a busy shopping area on the Via Cola di Rienza. Despite the location it was very quiet. My sleep was never disturbed by traffic or street noise. The staff was available and helpful, and spoke excellent English. They seem to specialize in working with tour groups. There were several in the hotel, and each was given a table in the lobby to provide information to those traveling with them. The restaurant provided group dinners. All of the food was very good. The morning breakfast buffet is an interesting mix of European and American offerings. There were chocolate croissants, cheese & prosciutto, scrambled eggs and (a new one to me) cooked carrots, among many other choices. The lobby had three elevators, which is generous for an Italian hotel of this size. I never had a long wait for one.

My room was a bit short of electrical outlets to charge my devices, but I managed with one in the main room and one in the bathroom. The bathroom had no counter space for make-up and so forth, although they had placed a small table in it (which I used for my computer and phone while charging them). The room itself was small but very comfortable and had a very large built in desk. The mattress was excellent, very firm.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business