“To far from any where”

Ranked #638 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Perth, United Kingdom
“To far from any where”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and checked in. No one offered any information about how to get into Rome and it was only through our friends who had booked in the day earlier, that we realised you could get the 881 bus from outside the hotel which will take you to the Vatican area. you can walk to most things from here although we got the tour bus on the 1st day to allow us to get our bearings. You also have to buy your bus ticket from the shop in the hotel (1.5euro), which we only discovered by chance. The staff did not speak great english and with our limited Italian it was difficult. My suggestion would be to have some sort of information to tell staff they can get the hotel bus (1 an Hour) to the tube or get the bus to town, this should be given to staff when they arrive.
The room itself was very large and clean, although our friends room was much smaller so don't know what the difference is as both booked at same time. Breakfast was ok. We ordered the omelete and it was nice. They could do with a tea and coffee machine as you have to order your tea and get a cup of hot water and a teabag. It is a small cup and by the time you find a waiter to get 2nd cup you are finished. Maybe its a british thing but I like a pot of tea or at least access to have another hot tea when I want it.
The location of the hotel is not good as nothing near to have anything to eat so would have to eat in hotel. We just stayed in Rome until we had eaten then came back.
All in all, the hotel is ok but if I was to go back, I would never stay that far out of the centre as waste lots of time travelling.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor and although just along from the Restaurant it was quiet. if you can...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Aurelia, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Smhperth,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This hotel was a nightmare for tour group settings. Firstly, the moment we arrived in a wintry cold 2 degrees Celcius evening, our coach had no choice but to park 100 m away from the hotel entrance. Imagine kids & elderly folks had to walked through this icy cold ambience plus dragging our personal luggage over rugged-surfaced road on an uphill slope. I wonder whether the management team & boss got sensible brains to see their customers going through such torturing journey or they dont mind their own grandmas and grandpas & young children doing so. Please, have a heart for your customers espcieally during extremely cold winters. It's really inhuman to say the least. Our second nightmare was when every room in our tour group had similar encounter when we enetered our respective rooms, the heater was overworking & the high temperature cant be reduced nor adjusted down. We were cooked up in a heated sauna. Everyone called the reception staff and was rudely told off to open our windows if we want cold air to come into our rooms. This is totally absurd and ridiculous, never heard of such advice in my entire life and not in any hotels in Asia nor Australasia nor USA. We (23 of us), collectively, reckoned that the female receptionist on duty that night ought to be sacked immediately for responding this way to customers. Who, on earth, would open windows during a single-digit degree Celcius night and to monitor the temperature before going to sleep? What's more during a holiday tour? I believe only the staff (and GM) in this hotel would do so and this is considered pure plain stupidity if it was in any Asia hotels. All 23 of us, didnt have a good adequate sleep that night. This hotel gave us a lousy impression of Rome & I think this hotel owes Italy a good apology for making tourists hating Rome. Normally, I have something good and positive to comment of most hotels I've stayed in but this hotel deserves notihing good to highlight at all. Only two words to paint ... Terribly Horrible.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DanielOon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Aurelia, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear DanielOon,

We noticed your review regarding the Holiday Inn Rome-Aurelia. We are reaching out to you on behalf of InterContinental Hotels Group or IHG, representing the Holiday Inn brand. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We'd like to obtain additional detail about your experience, but unfortunately due to site restrictions we are unable to reach you privately.

Our Customer Care Department can be reached at the following:

In the comments section, please include the below Reference # to facilitate the most efficient handling of your concern(s).

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare Case Manager
Reference # 49372544

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Good evening,

I’ve been stayed at this hotel for two nights on a package holiday. The first night I spent there I was looking for a voltage converter for my life-support system, essential to my survival.
Thus, I asked the reception for it but they told me that the shops were closed by then.
I was in despair and I didn’t know what to do, so that suddenly while walking discouraged in the hall, one of the staff, who I consider him as an “angel” named Massimo, calmed me down saying that he would have solved it for me. Later on, he came into my room to bring me the plug adapter and he took care of putting it into the socket and connect it to my life-support system.
Other than the beauties sights of Rome, overall it has been a very positive experience for me especially for the human side of people I met and above all thanks to Massimo who I will always remember for his professionalism and kindness.

Room Tip: just come talk to Max, will give you good advice.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Hotel is quite far from the city centre and not in a very attractive part of the city. Does not have any good facilities, so will need to travel for lunch, dinner or drinks. You can use public transport to get to the hotel, but a 500 meter uphill walk could be quite difficult with luggage. Best to use a taxi at roughly Euro 40. City tax at all Hotels 4 star Euro 3 per person per night. Breakfast includes hot items. Fried, scramble eggs, sausage and bacon. Self service, waiters only clear tables, but let crockery pile up and only clear after you leave. nothing impressive about the hotel, so if one is touring, better to stay within the city centre.

Room Tip: there is views from all rooms, but nothing of interest or pleasing to look at
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Aurelia, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Ugen M G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I am glad to to hear that you were able to take advantage of our breakfast option. However, it is very regrettable to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Lera P
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

On arrival we found our room above the generator another room swap had same problem but they moved us to a quiet room on the front. We enjoyed our breakfast lots of choice but we did not enjoy the barbecue and buffet nights in the restaurant and we could not choose from the main menu but other than that restaurant manager could not have been more helpful. He is a great credit to the hotel. We found the staff extremely friendly but maybe try and speak some Italian. The hotel is a way out from the city centre but the cost is reduced accordingly and we thought a four star at that price was brilliant. There are lots of ways to get about if you dont mind walking you can get the shuttle or the underground and a bus. Yes taxis are expensive from the hotel but that's to be expected. We intend to go back in the Spring. Rome is a fantastic city so much to see. Shops are great value esp shoe shops. We are sorry to see such negative comments some of which about showers etc seem a bit silly there was lots of hot water and just tip the housekeeper and say bonjourno and you will get no end of refills. No doubt staff may not be well paid so tipping is a good idea for them and you. We are looking forward to our next holiday there. Chris and Carol Hughes (we stayed1st week September 2013).

• Stayed September 2013
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 21 November 2013

stayed at the hotel in Oct for my honeymoon. was my last stop in Rome. Hotel is quite far from the city but the shuttle was very accommodating. Although the bus does not have a stop near the Vatican City but the driver was really nice to drop guests off near it upon request. Our plan to the Vatican city was on the 4th day of our visit so we also wanted to see if the driver would be able to drop us off somewhere close. My husband went to ask the man in charge at the time we were getting on the bus to see if he would be able to tell the driver to drop us off near the Vatican city but he did not really speak English so my husband went inside to see if the front desk could help translate. The lady there was so rude, did not even look up through the whole conversation and told my husband she is only responsible to sell tickets and nothing else. Then she turned to serve other customers with a smile. When my husband told her if she could be nicer and not so rude, she threatened to call the cops!!! what kind of service is that? being in the service industry, you should treat all the customers the same and not be racist and my husband wasn't even swearing or anything and you have the guts to wanting to call the cops?!? Definately not again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kewlfruitz1983
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Aurelia, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear kewlfruitz1983,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Mosta, Malta
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The location of the Hotel is in the middle of nowhere! It takes more than half an hour to reach the centre of Rome though I must say that the driver of the shuttle bus is quite accommodating and very helpful. Notes that I would like a smoking room proved fruitless to the reception though I was promised one by another reception. Rooms are very small. Hardly enough where to keep your luggage. The shower is so small you can hardly move. They do somehow clean the room but refurbishment of the toiletries is not guaranteed but done at the whim of the cleaner. This goes also for the coffee and sugar! Hiring a taxi from the hotel is €15 dearer than the one that will get you to the hotel from the airport. Not only that but the driver had the cheek to demand a tip. Keep an eye on the luggage! Mine finished up in a nearby hotel when left at the reception since I was leaving late. The lift needs refurbishment and I shudder the thought what will happen if it happens to break down!

Room Tip: Get a room at the top for a good view around but you may be risking going up six floors using the st...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Albert Z
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Aurelia, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Albert Z,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I truly apologize that we were not able to deliver an excellent guest experience on this stay due to the condition of the lifts and if the room was a disappointment. We take all feedback seriously and your comments will help us improve what we can offer to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Regards,