“well appointed rooms”

Ranked #211 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
orlando
“well appointed rooms”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Our suite was very luxurious and well appointed. loved the chandeliers over the bed and sitting area. Grand decor. Spacious bathroom and closets. Location is so-so. You have to do a 10-15 min to the Spanish steps and we cabbed it elsewhere. Service is very average not 5 star service. good hotel to accommodate a large group. The spa consists of a couple of treatment rooms and indoor pool. There is not a whirlpool, hot/wet sauna or relaxation area like a full service type spa. also, paid for wifi in the room and still had a hard time getting online and the speed was very slow.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Great location. Average rooms, especially for the price. Staff was snotty and when asked for a restaurant recommendation, sent us to a tourist trap that was notorious for offering kick-backs to hotel staff.

• Stayed June 2011
The_Westin_Excelsior, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Excelsior, Rome, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinions about your stay at the Westin Excelsior Rome. Your comments represent precious information and certainly will helps to fine tune the service offered to our guests.

We are very sorry to hear your concerns and would like to express our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed regarding our staff attitude.
We can assure you that your review will not pass by without notice and a prompt action to rectify the situation pointed out, will be immediately taken.

We are most grateful for your support and do hope we may have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

With Warmest Regards,

The Hotel Management
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 20 June 2011

My wife and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Westin Excelsior and couldn't be more pleased. We had a "standard" king room. It had ample room by European standards, a beautiful marble bath with room for both of us to get ready for the day, VERY comfortable beds and pillows and enough drawer and closet space to hold most of our clothes. The room faced the side street and the US Embassy and was within sight of the intersection with Via Veneto but traffic noise was never an issue. The staff was very accomodating, friendly and spoke English.
I wish the nearest Metro stop was closer but it was only about a five minute walk. Also I should have studied the bus system more as the Metro system is limited (compared to other major cities in Europe) and, at least, 2 lines run by the hotel. Taxis are always available though.
If you like museums, you should definately make reservations in advance to the Borghese gallery (a short walk). It was amazing.

3 Thank RedfishDave
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 June 2011

When in Italy, my expectations are somewhat lower than other European countries. In Italy, it always seems a bit more worn, a bit more untidy, and people get to things when they can on when and if they choose.

Same with the Excelsior. "Recently refurbished" but still somewhat worn. I should give them some slack because the hotel is in an old building. However, the baseboards are dinged, the molding has cracks, the furniture is scratched and marred, and the carpets are somewhat stained. But in Italy, I think "refurbishing" means putting another coat of paint over the old cracked paint and not "doing it right."

However, as the one-week stay progressed, my view point changed. Instead of seeing Rome as fading, worn, and crumbling I became amazed that - with so much "old" in the city - it's a miracle that everything is in as good shape as it is.

Our room faced the inner courtyard on the fourth floor. Usually, I like a "room with a view." No complaint this time. The streets around the hotel are very busy and noisy. So, for a good night's sleep, interior rooms are the way to go.

The room was "Rome good." It had the comfortable Westin bed, two sinks, and kind of looked like a room that you would expect if you stayed in a period palazzo. The bathroom was ceiling to floor marble and the water pressure and ability to control hot/cold was good.

Irritations: The bathtub was too narrow. At 6'2" - to maintain a safe, wide-enough stance while taking a shower, I had to stand sideways. And as with many hotels, the showerhead (dual) was too low. So, I couldn't stand with my back to the shower and tilt my head back to rinse my head. And the rail that you can hold on to was somewhat rickety. The solution was to use the separate wand shower head on the other wall. Speaking of which, as many hotels have gone more "green" and concerned with water use, this hotel has made no such effort. That can be good or bad depending on your perspective. However, the dual showerhead and toilet that sounded like it was using many gallons to flush used - noticeably - a lot of water.

Other irritations: One day, I was lying in bed, naked, and someone from the maid staff just opened the door and came in. No knock. One night, I called room service and their was no answer. I called back and was put on hold and they didn't come back. I called again and they said they were very busy and would call back. All I wanted was a bucket of ice. I know, I'm in Europe, but in other hotels in other cities, I don't remember getting a bucket of ice to be such a big deal, especially in "near luxury" hotels like this. There are no ice machines on the floors and no ice waiting for you when you get back to your room. So, I went down to the front desk and asked for a bucket of ice. They called room service and was put on hold. About a half hour later, a bucket of ice was delivered to the room.

Which brings to mind coffee. No near-luxury or luxury hotels have coffee makers in the room, right? Or very few. With this hotel, it is - as with many hotels - expensive to order coffee. The room service fee per person is 5 euros. So take the price of the coffee, the 10 euros, taxes, and you could rent a car for the day just for a pot of coffee in the morning. And actually, I don't mind paying that. What these hotels don't get is that people like me want coffee immediately when they get up in the morning. Being on vacation, I don't want to schedule it and "have to" be up when it arrives. And I don't want to order it when I get up and have to wait for it. Another couple brought their own mini-coffee maker from home. In a hotel at this price point, you shouldn't have to.

In spite of the irritations, my wife and I did enjoy the hotel. Slow and few elevators non-withstanding, the lobby is expansive and ornate as are the hallways and the rooms. Like I said before, staying at the Excelsior is like staying at an Italian palazzo with air conditioning. Chandeliers, columns, gold leafing, marble, granite: all very nice. So, if you want a crisp, perfect, American-style hotel in Rome, this isn't the place for you.

The hotel is located just a few blocks from the Aurelian wall and a short walk from many of the sites. The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon are all very walkable. (I actually found a way to walk underground all the way from the metro entrance at Harry's Bar to the Spanish Steps!) The Hard Rock Cafe full of Americans is just a few yards away and the Via Veneto is considered the upscale part of the city to stay in.

For getting around Rome, if you're thinking about renting a car, forget it! Take taxis or walk. Yes, the Italian drivers are as crazy as they are fabled to be and parking is impossible. Taxis are very reasonable, about 5 euros from the hotel to the Termini railroad station (but be careful, at the train station after a certain time, the cab scam goes into effect and they go "off meter" and try to charge you 25 to 30 euros to get to the hotel). Since every 10 yards there is something 500 to 2,500 years old, walking is the best way to see the city. Tour buses seemed hopelessly stuck in the traffic and the taxis are quicker only because most of them seem to aspire to be Mario Andretti. The hotel offers a chauffeur service to the airport in an S class Mercedes for 85 euros and a half-day tour of Rome for 143. Normal taxi fare to the airport is 40 to 50 euros depending on traffic. The train to the Termini station from the airport is 15 euros one-way per person. Note: coming back, there is a fare for 14 euros that takes you to a stopping point at the Termini station that is almost 2 kilometers from the main station. Don't take that one.

The staff was polite enough but didn't seem particularly motivated to be pro-active. Sure, if you found them and asked them a question, they would be helpful but not overly so. The Spa staff was great. The 70 euro massage was well-worth it after many days of walking. Only problem is it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to put on the little string bikini "panties" that they evidently have men wear while getting a massage. :)

Room service was a bit slow but the food was good. And expensive. There is a Despar market two blocks away where we stocked up on drinks and munchables. And when checking out, beware of the mini-bar charge for items you didn't eat/drink." We had a 12 euro charge and we never eat or drink out of the mini-bar. And almost every couple we talked to that were there with us had the same charge. It seems to be a trend. The last three stays at hotels have included mini-bar charges for items we didn't eat or drink. The W in Miami took it off but then it appeared on my credit card again. The same thing happened at the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta. I'm wondering if that is a part of "Hotel 101" training: add a mini-bar charge to everyone's bill even if they didn't go into the mini-bar. Maybe they figure that if "X percentage" of customers don't contest it and they retain "X percentage" of the bogus charges, then they will make "X percent" more revenue. Very tacky and I hate to think it's true, but it's been a constant and happened again at the Excelsior.

One other item: internet. 4 euros for an hour and 15 for 24-hours. Still bugs me that for what one pays for a hotel like this, they don't include the internet.

In conclusion - in spite of the irritations - I rate the hotel "very good." However, if we go back to Rome, it wasn't good enough for us not to consider other hotels first. So, no, it didn't have that "wow" factor that makes me say, to myself and others, "if I go back to Rome, I'll definitely stay there." Not a bad choice, but it's like Italian cars. Sure, Alpha Romeos and Fiats are okay but they are definitely not Mercedes or BMW.

4 Thank Pramstroker
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 June 2011

From check-in to check-out, this was a terrific hotel experience. Incredibly friendly and understanding desk staff on all shifts, very helpful concierge who really took time with every question. Lovely room with a balcony overlooking the Via Veneto, and nicely sized (for a European hotel). Room service was fast, and the housekeeping staff was friendly and helpful. Lovely turn-down service. The hotel is well located, with metro stops a quick walk away. We had one of the best meals of our trip in the hotel restaurant, and it wasn't outrageously priced. Loved the Westin Excelsior, Rome.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank twinlions
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Stay was on SPG points. Given a large room with ok view. Great location, good service. All was good.

Tehachapi, California
Reviewed 14 June 2011

LOVE IT !!! The hotel could'nt have been better situated. The staff was SUPER friendly and spoke perfect english and the ROOMS WERE TO DIE FOR ...LOVED THEM.!! What a pleasure to walk into a truly grand room in a beautiful hotel. 14 foot ceilings , Velvet drapes , emboidered material as wall coverings , stupendous chandelier hanging in the middle of the room, thick luxery crown moulding all around the room and a beautiful marble bathroom with a bidet. My husband and I just stopped at the door and immediatly got our cameras out. It was BEAUTIFUL !!! We had a small balcony that looked out upon the Vatican Cathedral. It was dreamy !!! Would stay there again and again. PS the Opera House is across the street and we saw a great Opera.

Room Tip: Ask for a top level and a balcony if you can