“Five Star Luxury in Heart of Rome”

The Westin Excelsior, Rome
Ranked #223 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Convenient location on an upscale street , spacious rooms, great service, food, helpful staff. Walking distance to good restaurants, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Borghese Villa Garden and Museum, Shopping, trains, underground and many other attractions. This hotel does justice to the Westin brand name.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Excelsior, Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your nice comments about the service and helpful staff
I was happy to read that we do justice to our Westin Brand
Marc L

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I recently spent a weekend with my family at this hotel, followed by my attendance at a large 2 day work conference at the same place. Both experiences were substandard. From a business perspective, internet was spotty and many of my colleagues racked up high roaming fees when they had to instead use cellular network connections instead of wireless, and their business facilities were weak -- when We needed a meeting room they instead gave us a separate hotel bedroom to use and charged a half day rate. When I was here with my family, they only recommended restaurants that were linked to the Westin, the rooms were in need of some minor remodeling, and the bathrooms had a slight musty smell. All fine for a 3 star hotel, but not really what I was expecting from a Westin. For the money, surely there's a better place you can find to stay in Rome.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Tripadvisor
I first of all want to apologize for not having met your expectations and for the service issues you mention like the spotty internet. As with other reviewers; when we exceed we celebrate but when we underperform we learn from it and improve

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm a Platinum Starwood member and travel extensively. I have very high standards for hotels, and this Westin exceeded my expectations. Our Grandlux Suite was enormous and lavishly furnished with antiques. The bed was the usual comfy Westin bed, the bathroom was huge and excellent in every respect. The room had no smells of any kind and was dead quiet. The room was facing one of the roads. I understand that experience may vary with the exact room you get, but ours was fantastic.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor
Thank you for your review and for saying we exceeded your expectations. Our goal is to achieve this with all TripAdvisors

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here on business for 5 days. A nice hotel with large rooms and a comfortable bed. The location is great, next door to the US embassy. Unfortunately, a president of a Middle Eastern country was also staying at the hotel at the same time. I would have not minded all the police presence in the front of the hotel, and in the lobby, but the security detail that was accompanying this gentlemen (young, well armed middle-eastern men) were extremely rude. On several occasions we were "cased out" of the hotel lobby, and were followed around the hotel. They would also congregate at the main hotel entrance, harassing people entering.

When I complained to the front desk, telling them that there are other people also staying at this hotel, not just the "dignitary", and that we are also paying for our rooms, and deserve equal treatment as other "guests", we were told that security was for "our protection" and that we should not get involved in "international matters".

I am an SPG gold member, and usually get some kind of perks when I stay at SPG properties, but not this time. I was not offered any of the extra amenities. I guess the hotel was too busy to pay attention to such details

With so many great choices in Rome, stay somewhere else.
I would have loved to switch hotels, but unfortunately I was unable to.

I came to

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rivilis
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Excelsior, Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear TripAdvisor
Thank you for your review and for saying it’s a nice hotel with large rooms and comfortable beds
Regarding the visit of a President I want to apologize for the inconveniences caused by the security guards
The comment of our associate was inappropriate as our other guests should not be disturbed by the security measures
I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity and do not hesitate to contact me

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We are loyal Gold SPG members, and use Starwoods (particularly Westin) everywhere. Therefore, I am in good position to compare our experiences here to at least 50 other Westins worldwide. Westin Rome falls in the bottom 1/4 of this group.

First of all, we were delightfully impressed with Ricarddo at the front desk. He was very pleasant and offered an upgrade to our room on day 2 because nothing was available on day 1. We were upgraded to a lovely, large suite on the 5th floor. The hotel is classic and quite beautiful overall. The gym and pool are quite nice too, although the jacuzzi didn't work.

However, the rest of our stay was not so good and the concierges, a MUST feature for a high end hotel, fell woefully short.

The weather was cold on the 2nd night, and apparently, this hotel falsely advertises on its website that it has 'modern features' including 'thermostatically controlled heat AND air conditioning'. But in reality, it only has EITHER heat OR air conditioning. We were unfortunately staying one day after the hotel had 'deemed' winter to be over, and switch to AC only - no heat. The 'service express' staff was RUDE and said 'just turn the AC off, it will warm up." WTH? I had to speak to the front desk directly to request a space heater. Unbelievable and a sign of an outdated building that needs serious work to bring to elite standards. These rooms are $400-500 per night! Are you kidding me?

The concierges are NOT GOOD. Most of them were quite rude to us. We needed train tickets to Florence. When we asked to have them purchased, we were essentially told they could not do this for us. They printed out the train schedules (we already had done this anyways on our own) and said we could purchase them online (WRONG, not when within 72hrs) or go to Termini station ourselves. Horrible and lazy treatment by our concierge is simply unacceptable. We lost trust in this hotel immediately after this experience. I went to Termini station myself, one day before we departed, to buy my train tickets. This wasted precious time in Rome.

The concierges were also incompetent. We got wildly different stories about May Day closures of museums and restaurants. Borghese Gallery was apparently 'closed' per our 1st concierge, and 'definitely open but fully booked' by the 2nd concierge. Neither one bothered to actually call the gallery for us to confirm. The answer? It was open, and there were tickets available - we just had to wait at 3pm and some became available. Advice we would have appreciated from our hotel. Useless.

Lastly, the restaurant. Ugh. Doney was advertising steamed meal boxes from April 28th to May 4th. We wanted to check it out. I called personally and spoke to the host who confirmed the pricing and steamed specialities. We went to the restaurant and we then told they 'were only offering a buffet tonight'. WTH? I had just spoken to the restaurant 30 minutes prior to confirm the item, and they mentioned nothing about this. Why were they only offering the buffet despite it being during their single week of the advertised promotion? 'Because that is what we are offering." Another incredibly rude response. Seems like a theme amongst Romans. Pathetic. We wanted to like this hotel. But we simply cannot recommend it. We won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rd1973

Dear TripAdvisor
Thank you for sharing your review. As we have been in contact I was happy to read that you were upgraded to a lovely large suite and that you qualify the hotel as quite beautiful overall.
But of course we also need to exceed expectations with the service and I apologize for not having met them. We are now able to buy train tickets and will also make sure the correct information is given.
As to the Doney Restaurant I regret the miscommunication.
When we have good comments we celebrate but we also learn from our mistakes and will do our utmost to avoid those you mention.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Wonderful grand hotel that is well located on the Via Veneto. Acres of marble everywhere and lovely antiques in the room. As a gold SPG member, we were upgraded to a lovely suite. Our rate included the buffet breakfast - otherwise it's 33 euros per person or close to 50 dollars! Lots of variety including made to order omelets. Very good and no need to eat again until supper. Maid service is very efficient and there are always plenty of plush towels. Front desk were always helpful so no complaints how this grand hotel is being run.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for qualifying us as a “Great Place” and for mentioning the efficient maid service and helpful front desk

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Had an amazing 4 days in Rome at the start of our anniversary trip around Italy. Was welcomed by friendly staff. Hotel first impressions were luxurious, beautiful, but not pretentious. Had a beautiful large suite, thanks to my husbands SPG status, that was well outfitted and honestly one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. Bed was wonderful with lush sheets and towels. Since it was our anniversary we were welcomed by Champaign, even though we don't drink, we appreciated the gesture. Breakfast was delicious and in a lovely room. We had the most enjoyable time and would HIGHLY recommend the Westin Rome.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Excelsior, Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear TripAdvisor
Thank you for your nice comments about the friendly staff and for recommending our hotel