“Do not give your postcards and euros to the concierge to mail.”

Hotel Raphael - Relais Chateaux
Ranked #119 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Westbury, NY
“Do not give your postcards and euros to the concierge to mail.”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

The best part of Hotel Raphael is the location. The Piazza Navona is the perfect locale, which is in walking distance to most of the main attractions. My problems with the hotel was the construction that was going on right outside our room (no. 112). My daughter and I stayed a the Hotel Raphael in Rome from Feb 24-27, 2009. On Wednesday Feb 25 I gave the front desk manager 12 euros to mail 12 postcards. It's quite apparent that he kept my money and never mailed the postcards. I always send a postcard to my home from wherever I am and I never received it nor did anyone else who I sent a card to. My daughter also gave the front desk 1 euro to mail her postcard the following day and of course that was never mailed either. I am appalled that the Manager would keep our money and apparently throw out all of our cards. Besides the euros I gave him, there is also the cost of the postcards to consider. I am sure this was not an oversite on their part because the same thing happened with my daughter's postcard (never received). This is outrageous! I would recommend the hotel only because of the location but inquire before booking to make sure the construction is completed and mail your own postcards. Very good breakfasts and room service, excellent food, stay away from the mini bar 6 euros for a mini coke!

• Stayed February 2009
3 Thank mercybell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Zonaro
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Nice location and nice decoration, but a part of this there are many problems: Bad smell in the elevator, couldn't open the room door (had to call the receptionist who had to open it for me), I had to wait many hours to get an ethernet cable, the concierge was really arrogant as I told him about my problems...I could keep on writting but willl end up here, so if you go to Rome and want a nice and cosy hotel just look for another one !

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
7 Thank Zonaro
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I was debating and debating between this hotel and the higher rated Hotel Sofitel in Rome. I made the mistake of booking Hotel Sofitel, where we stayed for a few nights. But when I finally stumbled across Hotel Raphael in our explorations, we checked out early of Hotel Sofitel and into Hotel Raphael for the reminder of the trip. The location of Hotel Raphael was PERFECT. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was small (just the basic double) and I wish I had booked one of the Richard Meier rooms earlier to begin with, but they were none available. Even though the room was on the small side, the overall experience of this hotel was just what I wanted - boutique-y and in a great location. You could walk to everything and the evenings were wonderfully vibrant in that area. I definitely want to go back again...

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the size of the room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ashsmash
KildareRanger
Reviewed 23 October 2008

We stayed here prior to getting married in Rome October 3rd - 8th inclusive, 2008. We selected this hotel because it is centrally located and looked good from the outside. What a huge mistake, relying on first impressions! The staff were incapable of simple tasks such as booking a taxi or re-arranging a bed in a room, despite repeated requests to do so. The only thing they were good at was soliciting tips on a regular basis. The room itself had scuff marks on the wall and was in generally poor condition. But they saved the worst until last. On the morning we checked out they demanded 52 euros a day for breakfast, claiming they had informed us of this ridiculous expense beforehand - when they had not. They certainly did not verbally warn us about this and when challenged claimed it had been written on our "greeting card", which it had not as we read it carefully. While our taxi waited to take us to the airport they demanded over 250 euros for a few morning's worth of buffet breakfast, consisting of coffee and croissants. You can imagine the stress this caused us. In the end we had to hand over 170 euros. This hotel is trading on its location and is an absolute disgrace to a beautiful city. Do not stay here if you want to enjoy your Roman holiday.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lazy incompetent staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
12 Thank KildareRanger
Ahmadi, Kuwait
Reviewed 13 October 2008

My wife and I decided to stay at the Hotel Raphael during our five day trip to Rome. The location was excellent as we were within walking distance of everything we wanted to see. The room was clean and well maintained, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom had all the amenities. Staff was extremely helpful and went the extra distance to answer questions or concerns. Dining at the roof top terrace was a most delightful experience between the food and the service. To go up to the roof after a day of walking around through crowds felt like entering an oasis. The view at sunset was amazing.

The hotel was expensive, but worth it I feel for what would most likely be our first and only trip to Rome. If you don't want to pay that much for first class service, go elsewhere.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Heat at night
1 Thank jimdew
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I recently went to stay here with my husband-to-be, parents and inlaws as I was getting married nearby. The hotel was in a great location, within easy walking distance of the main sights and with lots of gorgeous bars and restaurants in the vicinity.
I loved the boutique feel of the hotel, from the Picasso pottery in reception to the designer toiletries in the room. It had an individual feel about it, and the staff were so helpful. Our bed was incredibly comfy, and there was surprisingly little noise to be heard from outside (amazing for Rome!).
Breakfast was fantastic - I loved the pancakes and maple syrup!
We didn't tell the hotel we were getting married, but they found out (I guess wearing a wedding dress in reception was a give away), and when we got back from the ceremony we found a bottle of champagne on ice with two glasses in our room - such a sweet touch. We had drinks that night on the roof terrace, and it was the perfect setting, with a beautiful view across Rome as the sun set.
I would definitely stay here again, without a doubt. It's pricey, but really worth it.

2 Thank carlosio
London
Reviewed 30 September 2008

My wife and I have just stayed at the Hotel Raphael for three nights. This is a lovely little hotel. The staff were really charming and helpful, the situation is perfect - 1 min walk to the Piazza Navona, 10 mins to a bus stop for a sightseeing tour and probably a 20 min walk to the Vatican. In fact you can pretty much walk to any of the major tourist sights. The room was very small but you don't go to Rome to sit in your room do you?! There was a bit of street noise which meant we had to keep our window closed but we were on the first floor so maybe if you were higher up it wouldn't be so bad. The roof terrace is fantastic - having a glass of wine and watching the sun set over St. Peters was unforgettable. Only one real niggle was the cost of breakfast: 26 Euros each!!! Skip it and go around the corner (literally) to one of the many local cafes and have a expresso and a croissant and watch the world go by!

GENERAL TRAVEL TIP FOR FIRST-TIME VISITORS TO ROME:

This tip will save you time and money on a trip to the Coliseum - honestly, you will thank me!

When you visit the Coliseum you buy a 10 Euro ticket that gives you entrance to the Palatine as well. Visiting the Forum is free. There is a simply enormous queue to buy tickets at the Coliseum so the only way to get in reasonably quickly is accept the hassle from a tour guide and join a group. This costs an extra 8 euros each but you then go through the ticket holders queue which is considerably shorter than the main one. You can then leave the tour guide and do what you want. BUT THERE IS A BETTER WAY! Approach the Coliseum from the direction of Central Rome walking down the Via Fori Imeperiali with the Forum on your right. About halfway down on the right is small turning opposite the Largo Corrada Ricci. Walk down this and you will come to an entrance gate to the Forum where there is a ticket booth from which you can buy tickets to the Coliseum and Palatine! When we went there was a queue of just two people! Buy your tickets here then carry on to the Coliseum, join the pre-paid queue and walk smugly in past everyone else! Cunning eh?

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — cost of breakfast
3 Thank LondonLocations