“Location, service, rooms and value. It's a home run.”
Review of Hotel Napoleon

Hotel Napoleon
Ranked #79 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Napoleon was recommended by an Italian friend and it didn't disappoint. The location couldn't be better. All the major sights including Vatican City are an easy walk or subway ride away. The subway station is literally outside the front lobby of the hotel. You can walk to the main train station or the Colosseum in ten minutes. The hotel is located in a non-touristy part of Rome across the street from a very nice park. Anything that you might need to buy during your stay is available within a block or two. The neighborhood is safe day or night.

Much gets written about crime and traffic in Rome. In my opinion most of the information is either out of date or exaggerated. Reading some guidebooks you'd think that there are roving gangs of pickpockets and cars driving on sidewalks. Here's what I saw. In central Rome uniformed police were visible in large numbers especially in tourist spots. They had vans set up as mobile police stations outside the Colosseum and at Trevi Fountain for example. Are there pickpockets in Rome? I'm sure there are but I doubt there are any more of them than in any other major city in the world. I talked to many "strangers" during my visit and was jostled in crowds more than once and didn't lose my wallet. Normal common sense applies to keeping your possessions safe but in my opinion the central area of Roman is one of the more safe places you can visit.

You will also be able to cross the streets safely without any problem. Use the marked crosswalks and don't be shy. Start crossing when the oncoming traffic has enough time to safely stop for you. Make eye contact. I found drivers to be very respectful of pedestrians.
The large intersections all have "walk/don't walk" lights. Watch out for scooters because they will try in sneak in behind and in front of you. Make eye contact. I heard very little horn honking and found the drivers in Rome were much better behaved than those in many large US cities.

Back to the Napoleon. The place is spotlessly clean. The shower had great water pressure.
The decor is older but very classy and comfortable. They provide a kettle and supplies for making tea or coffee in your room. 220V has water boiling twice as fast. The windows open completely which I preferred over a/c. The rooms have individual a/c units if you like it cool.
I stayed in 219 which is one of the largest rooms. If you want a US sized room book it. There are two of that size on each floor. My room had a minibar fridge that had tons of extra space if you want to add anything. The wifi was free, fast and it works without any passwords. I used the laundry service which was reasonably priced considering I gave them my items at noon and got everything back by six. I speak two words of Italian and had no problems communicating with the very friendly hotel staff. They can't do enough for you. They have Roma passes at the front desk. The bus tours they recommend are first class.
I used their in-house airport pick-up service that cost 48 euros instead of hunting around for a legal cab that would charge 30. I got a friendly driver in a Mercedes waiting upon my arrival with a sign.

I have zero complaints after an eight night stay at the Napoleon and if you read some of my other reviews you'll realize that I'm not shy about pointing out shortcomings. I felt great giving the fine people that run this hotel my money. So called luxury hotels could learn a few things from the Napoleon. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The largest rooms end in 18 or 19. However they face into an alley so you won't get any view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Large and clean and quiet hotel room with an excellent breakfast. It is located walking distance to most of the historic sites in the center of Rome. Hotel staff is nice and helpful. We found excellent restaurants nearby, including the best food we had in Rome at Trattoria Morgana.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Our travel agent recommended this hotel. It was located opposite a park and the train station was just outside our door. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. At night, the shops close down and it was quite dark on the street, but we did not encounter any problems. The room was spacious. The front desk staff were extremely helpful. We loved the buffet breakfast included in the cost of our hotel stay. It was wonderful to be able to enjoy a delicious meal before heading out for the day. Our last night in Rome, we ate at the hotel restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food was wonderful, as was the service. The Coliseum was a short ten block walk. We took the train to the Vatican and to the Spanish Steps. This hotel was convenient to everything. We ate pizza with the locals just around the corner from our hotel. When we checked out to leave for the airport we took the train instead of a taxi/private car.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Napoleon hotel in Rome is located few steps from a metro station (one stop from Termini) so it is very easy to reach all the city attractions. My room was good in size, clean, with air-conditioned, good shower with good hot water, free Wi-Fi, quiet, fine breakfast and almost all you expect from 4 starts hotel. The reception staff was helpful, friendly, with lot of patient and does everything to help you. The people in the reception were experienced and very professional.
I found three drawbacks: 1) the only view from my window was the windows of other rooms; 2) the TV was too small; 3) the local tax of 6 EURO per night was irritating (we were there 5 nights).

Room Tip: The inside rooms are quite but without view from the window.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We recently spent 4 nights at the Napoleon Hotel in June. The personal service provided by the owner and concierge staff surpassed our expectations. The hotel arranged for private car service to pick us up at the cruise terminal and deliver us to the airport at the end of our stay at a reasonable price. The concierge desk personally assisted us with service at a local pharmacy, helped us with metro/bus tickets and provided excellent restaurant recommendations that enabled us to enjoy the local flavor of Rome. Access to the metro just a few steps from the hotel makes seeing Rome very easy without being in the middle of the tourist areas. A complimentary wine tasting the evening before our departure gave us an opportunity to meet the hotel owner and fellow travelers which was a generous and enjoyable experience not often offered at most hotels. The history of the hotel is very interesting and adds to the charm of staying in Rome. Our room was quiet and larger than we usually experience at most European hotels with separate sitting and sleeping areas. The breakfast was quite adequate and, since we left early for the airport, the hotel provided a take-away breakfast for us. The staff clearly understands and provides excellent customer service which made our stay very pleasant. We look forward to visiting again someday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SantoriniDreaming426
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed here last year was an 18th birthday trip for my son, couldn't have asked for more. From the moment we were picked up from the airport using hotel limo service to the moment we were taken back to airport again with this service. We arrived aroun 11am were checked in immediately to our room and then a lovely surprise of a bottle of champagne was present to my son as that day was his birthday. The staff here are wonderful so helpful especially at front desk. I am planning to return with more family will come back to this hotel as it's so nice to have somewhere that lives up to it's praise.
was a little concerned about the area not sparkly shiny but put doubts aside and found just the same as many modern cities.
Janice&Immarni

Room Tip: Get the Roma pass also guide tours are best to give you more detail re your tours. Supermarket round...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Taja888
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Napoleon for two nights. Once we checked in, we were taken to our room which seemed quite nice. However, my family member went to get into her bed, and found a lovely bug snuggled between her bed sheets. We called the front desk and within minutes they had management at the door to take us to a new room. However, the new room seemed like a downgrade. The safe didn't work in the room and we didn't even feel like making another complaint so we just kept our valuables on us. The beds and pillows also are far from comfortable, but then again it's hard to find a hotel with comfortable beds. breakfast wasn't all that good, just stick to the pastries. I dont know the price of this hotel, because we purchased a packaged tour, but overall it is fairly average stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
Roberto C, Owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

I have to point out that The “lovely” bug was found just upon your arrival in the room, during the day, at the center of the blanket and the bed was still intact. And it is well known that these animals infest the cargos of the airplanes and are transported into the room of the hotels ( and not only) with luggage. During the day, at the time of your arrival, they hide and are never visible on open spaces, they come out only with the dark. The room was cleaned few hours before your arrival, personally inspected by my sister. That is why highly likely that was you to bring this insect with your luggage, and most likely that on your arrival you had put one of your luggage on the bed, as most part of the travelers uses, and the insect dropped on the blanket. This problem is unfortunately very common all over the world. There is not a solution that can prevent this inconvenience at 100%, the only thing to do is to check scrupulously the rooms every day, as we do . I do not understand why you had been shown to be aware that the presence of this insect was not attributable to the hotel and you had also shown your appreciation for the replacement room, and now you have posted such a different description of the episode.
The safe in your room works perfectly. The safe has an electronic lock with clear and simple instructions inside. In case of difficulty you could contact our concierge that would show how to use it. You presumed that the safe box did not work, but you were wrong. Regarding the pillows, and possibly the mattress, as I wrote in previous answers, we prepare the rooms with mattresses and pillows that are generally highly valued by our customers. However, being aware that it is a matter of preference, on request, we provide our customers mattresses and pillows of different types, possibly softer or thicker. This information is also included in the written message that is delivered in the language of the customer, upon arrival. As for the breakfast, I should point out to our readers that the vast majority of the reviews praising our breakfast. We all work with passion and enthusiasm, and we are always ready to meet the needs of our guests. In particular, all the reviews have always pointed out the level of cleanliness and the scrupulous care with which we treat the rooms. We have been doing well also in your case, and I am sincerely sorry that we have paid off with misleading statements. I just have to point out that for many months we have only received more than positive reviews of the past stay at the hotel Napoleon, Hundreds of reviews that reiterate all of what I said in this response. I therefore trust that the readers of Trip Advisor can calmly and objectively evaluate the bias of your claims. To them I extend my greetings and gratitude for their attention.