“Wonderful staff .” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Rep Of Ireland
“Wonderful staff .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

On my return from Rome after a short break away with my wife I feel compelled to thank the staff at the Napolean for a great welcome and for all the help we received during our stay.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, and would have no hesitation in returning here again.

Room Tip: All rooms face a courtyard thus no sound from the busy Rome street.We upgraded to a superior room fo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
victoria, bc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We picked the hotel for the great location right at a Metro entrance and a short walk to the Forum area. The room was small but functional. Very clean, although a little worn in places. Even though the room was not on the main street, there was considerable noise from the fire escape shaft. There is a confusing route to follow to the rooms from the front desk area. Staff very helpful. The major disappointment was the pizza in the dining/cocktail area. After a very long series of flights and a late evening arrival, we were looking forward to a true Italian pizza-what we got was obviously a frozen pie from the deep freeze by way of a microwave!! I would stay here again, but would look around first for another similar hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing the exterior fire escape tower.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank yyjguy
Roberto C, Owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear yyjguy,
I am sorry because you did not fully enjoy your stay at the hotel Napoleon, and I would be happy to have the opportunity of knowing more details about the reasons of your dissatisfaction. I do not know which track of wear you found in your room, but i can assure that it will be cancelled in a short time, as we are already making many renewal works all over the hotel, of course without disturbing our Guests. Also, I do not understand what sort of noise came from the fire escape shaft. Nobody uses it, and the only light perceptible noise is the one of the rain, but only in case of a strong shower ( very rare ). You mention our "frozen pizza" as the main reason of your disappointment, and honestly I do not understand the reason of your disappointment. Regarding the fact that it is a “ frozen pizza” , we inform very clearly about that, both by writing on the menu and by speaking when our Guests order . That is however part of a large choice of snacks and fast-food available in our Bar Menu, that includes also Italian fresh products like choice of ham and salami, cheeses, fresh salads, lasagna, soups, sandwiches and so on. We offer also a Restaurant Menu, offering meals accurately prepared by our Chef, with the best and freshest ingredients, and the quality of our Restaurant is on the top level. A “true Italian Pizza” would need one expert, specialized chef, who dedicates his work to prepare pizza, starting from fresh dough, and cooks it in a wood oven. I am doubtful if a “true Italian pizza” is available in any hotel in Rome, especially on a late arrival time. I think you should appreciate that, also arriving late in the evening, you have found a place offering meals and drinks. And I also wonder how many hotels in Rome, nowadays, are offering this service. Regarding the “confusing route to follow to the rooms from the front desk area”: our staff, as well as carry our Guests' luggage, (nowadays not many hotels offer complimentary porterage service), always accompanies our guests upon their arrival. The route is quite simple: one elevator leads from the ground floor to the main floor, where are the lounges, bar, restaurant and breakfast room. Guests have only to cross one lounge and take the second elevator leading to the room floors. This feature makes our lounges and all the common areas particularly quiet, as they are not directly in contact with the street level, and guarantee a pleasant relax, as no other hotel in town. The largest part of our Guests expresses their great appreciation for this feature of the hotel. I wish however to thank you for your review that gave me the opportunity of offering an additional description of our services and facilities to our readers. For last: after your review, to avoid any further disappointment for expectations that cannot be satisfied, we decided of no longer serving pizzas at our Bar. With my kindest regards,
Roberto Cioce
Hotelier
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor ratings and were disappointed. The hotel is a bit run down and the common areas downstairs need to be renovated. The upstairs lobby is in better condition for which I was grateful since we spent a lot of time there - our room was so small it was not conducive to anything other than sleeping. The shower was barely large enough to get into. The staff was very friendly but we found the information provided at the front desk about basics like Vatican museum hours to be incorrect - perhaps because of the holiday hours - would have preferred they instruct us to check the hours ourselves instead of giving us wrong information. Bar staff was very friendly and professional. If I go to Rome again, I will look for another hotel. Location was convenient for some sites but the area closed down in the evening and was a bit creepy. Good breakfast.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Roberto C, Manager at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Ann B,
Firstly I wish to thank you for your review. Firstly for your appreciation for some aspects of our services and facilities, but also for your criticisms. I do not agree with most of them but I will keep them in the highest consideration and will focus our attention on those points.
One consideration about the size of the room. The size of our rooms is even larger of many other hotels of the same category and price in Rome. The size of the room in Italy is usually much smaller than in US, and particularly in the center of Rome. Some of them of course are larger than others, and we try to accommodate our Guests always in the most suitable room, accordingly with their requirements and preferences. I am sure that, if you had asked our Reception, they would have been more than pleased to change the room, on the same day or at least on the following day. On the other hand, just few hotels have such comfortable and welcoming common area as those you find at the hotel Napoleon: quiet and large Lounges where you can relax as in your home parlor, a cozy Bar and Restaurant, exclusively for our Guests, where “Bar staff was very friendly and professional”. I hope, on your next stay in Rome, you would consider again this aspect and I am confident you would agree with me. Regarding the lobby, I checked carefully and honestly I did not find any significant sign of wear, and some minor inconveniences are already repaired or going to be repaired in few hours, even more urgently after your remarks. I am sorry if our Concierge failed about some information regarding the Vatican. As thousands of reviews on the web testify, they usually provide very accurate and updated information. I personally verified our information about Vatican hours, also during Christmas Holidays and they seem to be correct. I wonder if it has been just a misunderstanding, however we all apologize for our mistake and we will do better in the future. Now I would tell a story that is an example how our Concierge looks after our Guests. On the 2000 year, one of our Guests had to go to a general audience of the Holy Pope. But he had a particular requirement; the flight back to England was scheduled in the early afternoon. He needed a transfer service with pickup at the Vatican. Our Concierge organizes that service carefully. On that morning the Guests takes the metro and goes to the Vatican. One or two hours later our driver calls our Concierge and informs that the point of the pickup had been closed by the Police on the last minute (traffic/safety reasons?). Our Head Concierge Franco Quirinis (who is still our Head Concierge) went there (by metro) and, among some tens thousands of people had been able to find the Guest and inform him of the new meeting point for the pickup. You can easily imagine the Guest’s surprise and satisfaction. This is just to tell you and all our Trip Advisor readers how much we work with passion, attention and professionalism, and how much we are sorry for any inconvenience you encountered. I would be honored and delighted to have a chance of welcoming you again at the hotel Napoleon, and I am confident that you could fully enjoy your next stay. For now I send you my kindest regards.
Roberto Cioce
Hotelier
Wollaston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Have just returned from Rome staying at the Napoleon Hotel for three nights over New Year. Apart from the mix up when we arrived at the airport regarding the transfer by taxi, we had a very enjoyable and pleasant stay. The concierge was extremely pleasant, and also offered us a free meal on our last night as the restaurant was closed on New Years Day (which we had previously booked for). We enjoyed the gala dinner on New Years Eve, and the pre-dinner cocktails in the bar hosted by the friendly manager.

Our rooms were fine, a double for myself and husband, although the bathroom was a little small, and a triple for my two sons (19 and 21) - they had a large bathroom including bath and shower. Facilities in the room were good, tea and coffee etc, TV, free wifi, only soap and shower gel in the bathroom no shampoo! Breakfast was very good - plenty of choice, hot and cold. All the staff in the hotel are very friendly and speak excellent English. There were comfortable chairs in the lounge to relax in, plus a large TV - we were so exhausted after being out all day, that we just collapsed on our bed until it was time to get ready for dinner!!!

The hotel is situated just a stone's throw from the Metro, which is very easy to use - much better than in Paris which is our only other experience of using it!!! The local area is not the best - but within walking distance from the Coliseum, and other land marks. If you are fit and healthy you don't really need to use the Metro - but it helps if you want to travel further afield say Vatican City and then work your way back, like we did.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, the concierge would be happy to recommend some to you as well as giving you a good route to the sights (they have some large street maps available at reception).

This was our first trip to Rome and also our first time in Italy - we will be back, but will probably choose a different hotel, not because there is anything wrong with this one, but we prefer to stay in different places - also our next trip will be just myself and husband travelling.

Room Tip: All the rooms face into a courtyard, so you don't get any traffic noise which is good!
1 Thank NorthantsAquababe
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We normally go to Rome in May or December but this year we had the possibility to go in December too and booked our "usual" hotel Napoleon.

The service is as good as ever the wine tasting on Friday was great.It is always a pleasure to see the manager Roberto Cioce talking to all guests participatingand make them feel at home.

The staff at the front desk is so helpfull. Our arrival was heavily delayed due to cancellaion of our flight, but they have changed our diner reservation (made through them by email) to the next day and the check-in was smooth and fast.

Also - due to the cancellation our suitcase was not with the flight to Rome. When I told this to the front staff they took a copy of the report from the airport and called the airport several time to find out whether it has arrived. It did not showed up during our stay but definately not to claim Napoleon.

Will we go back? Yes we have already booke dour next stay in May.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reidsville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed end of December through New Years. Very warm and friendly staff. Great breakfast with wide variety of food choices. Location was excellent with Metro steps from the front door. Comfortable areas to sit and relax - nice small bar and restaurant. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was our second trip to Rome in past year and we picked this hotel because it had good reviews and was next to the Metro station. My mother-in-law can't walk for really long distances so we decided to get as close to a Metro as possible. This hotel was perfect for our needs. There are better neighborhoods in Rome but it isn't terrible. I felt safe walking around. We don't spend time in our hotel except to sleep. Our room was very clean and staff was very kind and helpful. I would stay here again for sure. The comments about the neighborhood are correct that there are some homeless people hanging around but I never felt fearful. Staff and cleanliness made up for the location issues. (please note that on the review I accidentally pushed a star to rate the swimming pool and there is no swimming pool. I can't unmark the rating so I at least moved it to a 5 star but there is no pool.)