“great location and price in Rome”
Review of Hotel Napoleon

Hotel Napoleon
Ranked #75 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
South Bend, Indiana
“great location and price in Rome”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel was located about 5 min. to the train station and the Metro was right out the front door. The Coliseum was about a 10 min. walk. This was a clean hotel inside with very helpful front desk employees. Don't judge a book by the cover. Service was very good with a free cocktail hour on Monday and the breakfast was very good with plenty to eat.

1 Thank bmwdiscman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Location was very good walkable to attractions and next to metro Emanuelle for darting around the city if on a shorter break. 1.50 for a subtle trip and 6.00 for all day trips.
Hotel was very clean and had a charming old fashioned elegance to it. Others have commented the lifts were too small yes they were tiny but charming and no reason to lower rate the hotel.
On the whole the staff particularly Franco was so helpful and friendly. Guests do notice when the staff go out of their way for you and props to Franco who really helped us with dinner reservations and is a credit to the hotel. ( I have given a higher score due to friendliness)
It was apparent that the staff here really enjoy working here and that's always a good sign.
Unfortunately the reason I couldn't score higher was the room itself which was poor for a 4 star like a basic travelodge/econolodge or budget motel.
Double bed was 2 beds joined together and was also hard and uncomfortable. The room was really small as was the TV. The room lacked thought and amenities to make the guests comfortable.
we had no slippers or robes ( which I have since read others had) we had no tea/coffee facilities in room which was frustrating. You had to pay 5 euros to order tea/coffee to room. We had no shower gel or conditioner these are standards even for a lower star hotel. We had 2 tiny bottles of shampoo and a small soap all of which were poor quality for our entire stay.
Also my first impression was not good or welcoming by Roberto ( concierge) we walked up to desk and I said Hello he did not respond or greet us and just looked at us this was very unusual. He still did not say hello back after I said it. It just felt very awkward and unwelcoming.
Also I don't know if this was a cultural thing but I found that staff tend to only address the man and they always remembered my partners name etc and addressed him instead of as a couple. ( strange as it's always me that writes the reviews)
Overall I would recommend as a base to do sightseeing but just don't expect decent amenities in the room.
Bathroom was really small could barely turn around and tv small and difficult to view could be put up on the wall in the centre of the room.
Breakfast not extensive but from what I gather is good from Rome (a bit more than standard Italian espresso and cornetti).
Maid service was prompt we went to breakfast and room was already serviced when we returned great timing.
Internet access given on checkin fir the exact duration of stay. We relied on this a lot but it wasn't great kept cutting out and slow.
The restaurants nearby were decent and good prices and there is a lovely gelato place nearby open late and a grocery store.
Loved the park opposite and the cat sanctuary so nice to see looked after animals for once abroad.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happyegg29
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Whilst we did not actually stay at this hotel, I would recommend their service. We were looking for our hotel and approached the front desk late at night seeking directions, not only did they help us out, the front desk staff called our hotel to inform them we were on the way. Whilst others in the area were less than helpful, In the future, based on their attitude alone, I would stay at this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a good hotel with clean smart rooms which are a bit basic. Breakfast was very good with hot food included. All the staff were friendly helpful and efficient.
We stayed here because it is close to the coliseum. But it is not in the best area, is quite a distance from many of the sights, and so there aren't many cafes in the area. Be prepared to use taxis or public transport to eat out.
Overall we did enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I took my wife to Rome to celebrate her 30th birthday and stayed at Napoleon Hotel. On arrival, the concierge Domenico was very helpful and we were shown our room by the porter. Room is very nice, mattress bed was slightly uncomfrotable but we asked for a softer mattress which was changed straightaway. We were provided with a bottle of Prosecco on the house! Roberto the manager also spoke with us personally and asked how our stay is which I believe is a great personal touch! There could have been more variety for breakfast as there was not much choice. However, the dinner was fantastic and very tasty!

Hotel is centrally located with the Metro right outside the hotel. Colloseum is about a 10 minute walk. Metro very easy to use, about a 10 minute journey to Trevi Fountain & the Spanish Steps.

I would definitely recommend anyone to stay at this hotel as the staff kindness and helpfulness is what makes it a great experience.

1 Thank KVags
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

we've been 3 nights in that hotel and it was really good experience. Access to different places was good and it was a friendly family running hotel. pricewise it is a very nice place to stay. Delicious breakfast and smallest Elevator that you can ever seen !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amir H
Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a clean hotel in a good location to access what Rome has to offer. The metro is located right outside the front door. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. For the most part the staff was polite and made an effort to help. The breakfast was good although the staff seemed harried and overwhelmed. We had to wait a good bit to receive coffee on arrival at breakfast. Although our hotel was prepaid and we had a voucher to show at the hotel from Destination Europe, the hotel refused to honor the voucher and insisted quite excitedly that we had to give a credit card and pay for the room. Destination Europe called them and had them credit our credit card which occurred a week after our stay and I had to file a dispute of charges on my card in order not to pay twice. The refund took a month to show up on my statement. This to me was unacceptable behavior and should have been resolved with the travel company and not with us. Therefore, my rating to this hotel is only average.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary Anne P
Roberto C, Proprietario at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
First of all I wish to deeply apologize for our incomprehensible error. It 's true that in those days we changed the provider of email and some files were not immediately available, but it is also true that we cooperate with Destination Europe since many years and have never occurred whatsoever drawbacks . I must also say that on the day of departure we asked the company of your credit card to cancel the charge, so the delay in the cancellation should be imputed to the credit card company and not the hotel. I am happy that with regard to all other aspects, the Hotel Napoleon has been of your total satisfaction. But somehow this makes our mistake at the check-out even more deplorable . I would be delighted to have a chance of welcoming you again. I am totally confident that you could fully enjoy your next stay without any further inconvenience.
With my kindest regards