“Excellent Service ..lovely hotel”
Review of Hotel Napoleon

Hotel Napoleon
Ranked #77 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Stayed over at the hotel on easter 2010 for 2 nights. We had booked his hotel after seeing nice reviews on TA & also becoz it was my husband's birthday. The standard room was spacious and lovely, but the bathroom had a small shower. When I expressed my concern, mentioning about the bathroom /about booking this hotel for husband's birthday,....they immediately offered a upgrade, moved our stuff while we were sightseeing ..

Next day while checking out they didn't forget to wish my husband . we kept our luggage at the hotel reception to pick up while going to the airport. When we came back to collect, they offered us to get fresh / surf the internet, incase we needed it .

I was floored by the nicest behaviour I have seen on my 6 days trips to Italy and staying at other hotels.Oh and the Breakfast was very filling.

Only feedback I want to give the hotel is - please mention the Piazza Dante exit of the Metro on your website, we got lost while coming- it was dark, raining and guys at the Metro stop were very dodgy.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Napoleon

Reviewed 8 April 2010

I'm writing first a review, and I actually chose based on the previous reviews. I just want to confirm that the hotel is extremely well located for tourists (even if the neighborhood is not the most fancy of Rome). The tube is just 10 meters from the door. The staff is helpful and smiling. The breakfast buffet is above the average (And I'm traveling quite a lot on business). The colosseum is 15 minutes walking. Really we recommend.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We stayed three nights at the Napoleon Hotel. The service is excellent. The staff is very friendly and eager to help. The rooms were extremely clean with all the latest amenities. We ate at 2 excellent restaurants recommended by the hotel that were just a block or so away. It is really convenient to have the metro right outside of the door as we were to able to purchase a daily 4 Euro ticket for unlimited rides for the day which allowed total flexibility to see the sights as we wished. It also has a nice bar area that we enjoyed after long days of walking. It is also extremely quiet at night which is just what we wanted!! Thanks for an excellent stay!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We just returned from our 10 day trip to Italy, which began in Rome. I had read reviews of hotels for 9 months, and chose Napoleon for its location close to a metro and the consistently good comments about service. I could not have been happier with my choice. The hotel is lovely and charming. The neighborhood is not great, but not bad, either, And since the metro is literally just outside the front door, you can easily go to any neighborhood you choose. Our flight arrived one hour early in the morning, so we arrived at the hotel at 8am, not expecting to be able to check in. But, we were greeted warmly, and invited to have breakfast while our room was made ready for us. Breakfast was great, and the room availability was very much appreciated after our long journey.
We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and when we returned to the hotel at 5pm after a day of touring we were greeted with a nice card, and a bottle of prosecco.
Our room was very nice, quiet, and the bed was comfortable. Our request for extra pillows was handled quickly. The staff were all very kind, welcoming, and helpful with directions and maps and suggestions. The only small negative is, as other reviewers have noted, that the shower curtain tries to cling to your body when you shower.
But, this is a charming and hospitable hotel in a perfect location to explore Rome.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
napoleonRoma, manager/owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2010

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your lovely review. I would like to take this opportunity to say how much we are grateful for such good appreciations we are receiving from our Guests and especially from Trip Advisor’s users. I confirm al our best efforts to be worthy of all these recommendations. One word about the shower: on the present time we have only two showers with curtain, we are going to install the shower box in these two rooms hopefully (and finally) within this week. Therefore, dear Sir, on your next stay do not hesitate to ask our staff for any inconvenience you may find, even if it was not significant: maybe we could not always resolve it, but please give us the pleasure of trying to do it!
With my gratefulness and kind regards
Roberto Cioce
manager

Reviewed 4 April 2010

This was my third visit to the Eternal City, and I have stayed at another hotel on the two previous occasions. I was looking for something better this time and believe I have found it - the Napoleon has a good central location, right next to the metro and still just a stone's throw away from the exit of the part of Termini railway station where the airport express train stops.

Having read many reviews and noticing the high rating this hotel enjoys at Tripadvisor, I decided to give it a go, and wasn't disappointed.

The hotel as mentioned is close to Termini, although the walk from there to the hotel certainly isn't suitcase friendly - but most of Rome isn't. The location (Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II) is dominated by a park which is pleasant enough, and the hotel itself lies in a 19th century building. The arcades and general area around isn't the best, with some litter and uncleanliness existing, but then again this seems to be abundant in Rome. The hotel has a fairly small entrance, and the main foyer resembles more a narrow hallway, but there are two desks there, and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. Upon being handed the keys, the guy I talked to also showed me a map of Rome and circled around the hotel's location and the major sights, however he was so fast doing it that I didn't even have time to tell him I already knew all this since it was my third visit..but perhaps most their visitors are 'virgins' :)

While the entrance may be small, there is a very large salon on the second level, where you will also find an internet station as well as the breakfast room, bar and restaurant. While according to the hotel's website the bar serves light snacks meals from 12 - 24, I experienced that it instead closed at 19, as the restaurant opened, but that you could still have items from the bar, only in your room (at extra room service charge). I therefore found the website information to be somewhat misleading, although it wasn't a major issue.

Minibar prices are fairly ok, a 75 cl bottle of San Pellegrino - aque minerale naturale (frizzante) cost €1.50 which is what I would call a steal compared to the absolutely ridiculous minibar prices that usually greet me in my own country.

The room is somewhat as I would expect in an old building and in a major city such as Rome - not particularly big, but still nicely refurbished. However, I am not sure if I would rate the room as 4 star on its own. The best thing about the rooms is that they face an inner courtyard, which makes it whisper quiet at night - really! And in Rome, that is hard to come by, I am sure. So although there is no view at all (4 metres to the local neighbour who will slam his window shut just as you open yours ;) I would certainly prefer it this way and be able to sleep with an open window at night, since it is too early for A/C season (in Italy).

The bathroom is pretty good and seems to have somewhat heated tiles - at least they are not ice cold so they will not wake you fully up during a nightly toilet visit ;)

The breakfast is exceptional when compared to other relatively modest Italian versions I have seen. There is cereals, normal bread, toast bread (and a toaster), eggs (but no egg cups?), scrambled eggs, bacon, various meats, cheeses, jams, honey, fruits, coffee and tea.

A hot (or to be more precise - cold) tip is to visit the nearby Palazzo del Freddo - Italy's oldest ice cream parlour! It is just 5 minutes walk from the hotel, and they have 30+ variants - treat yourself to real Italian ice cream!

While Rome is fairly negotiable on foot, the metro sometimes helps to save your feet, as hours on a lot of cobblestone wears you slowly down. This time I went a lot outside the city itself - to Via Appia Antica, the Aqueduct park and to Ostia Antica, and all are really great experiences in springtime - it is all green already and birdsong is abundant - and it makes for a good change from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Rome can be rather taxing this way - I feel the traffic is worse than it used to be. And the litter on the streets. And tagging (not graffiti). And beggars. And pushy sellers. In fact, all of this will now result in me probably saying 'ciao Roma' instead of 'arrivederci'.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I was treated with kindness at Hotel Napoleon. Francesco offered information that helped my stay to be much more enjoyable. The rooms were clean, the main train station and the subway are close by, and the breakfast was very good. I would stay here again on my next trip and tell my friends to stay there also.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My husband and I went to Rome -- on his third time, my tenth (I'm a Roman historian, so have spent lots of time there during my studies). This was our first time at the Hotel Napoleon and we were both delighted with the hotel, our rooms, the staff and service, etc.

Our room: we had a room on the fifth floor with a comfortable bed and balcony; which myself as a smoker appreciated. The room itself was quite spacious and additional pillows easily available; it was extremely clean and very quiet. The bathroom was pretty good as well -- the shower had extremely good water pressure; the toiletries helpful and it was cleaned every day. I would agree that the shower curtain did have a mind of its own at times and it would have been nice to have a bathtub as well, especially after walking around Rome all day, but overall, definitely, excellent facilities both in the room and bathroom. Would have been nice to have a movie channel (even to purchase) as we relaxed in our room a few nights, but this is not a criticism, merely a comment/suggestion. We did have a minor problem with the wi-fi, but somebody came up to resolve almost immediately and there was a shared computer near the bar/restaurant, which was great (with FREE internet).

Food: We ate in the hotel restaurant once, which was OK. The acoustics in the room meant we could hear everything on the other side of the room, but the staff were really friendly -- my steak was delicious and we enjoyed it. My husband mainly ate breakfast and he thought the bacon should be crisper and the eggs were somewhat runny, but I ate breakfast on the last morning and thought the eggs were ok, the bacon ok and the selection overall excellent, so this is really down to personal choice.

The bar: We were invited to the wine tasting on the Friday night with one white and one red with light snacks; it was a really lovely chance to meet some of the staff and some of the other residents, so many thanks for the opportunity and much appreciated.

The staff: ALL were excellent. Any problems (minor) were resolved quickly; they gave recommendations about a good steakhouse (Vito's near the Vatican, excellent) and other various bits and pieces. Our room, no matter how late we left in the afternoon (e.g. 2 or 3 (only 1 day...) was always cleaned whilst we were out with fresh towels every day, etc., and even cleaned up a mess in the bathroom the first morning when I struggled with the shower curtain (sorry about that, I did try to clean the water up....). An issue with somebody next door (playing a musical instrument) was also resolved immediately (if that couple is reading this, I wouldn't have minded if you had continued playing (at a lower level) but not answering the door when I knocked and then yelling at me when you finally did doesn't mean it's my fault - you caused the problem in the first place! ) and the staff member who called was extremely apologetic, but it was not his fault.

I thought it was more than a 4-star for Rome, most definitely a 5-star and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple