“Expected more as the hotel delivered less... Could have been better! Shine your own shoes!”
Review of The St. Regis Rome

The St. Regis Rome
Ranked #89 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 27 December 2011

As a SPG Platinum member, I stay with Starwood properties alot during the year. Let's say that my expectations were as if I were a Roman Commander coming back from a victorious battle where the streets are lined up with people and the trumpets blaring. We stayed for 5 nights using points.

Check in - Went smoothly. We were given hot tea and snacks as we waited for our room. However, we were not upgraded as we normally are at our SPG stays.

Room - While we weren't upgraded, the room was fabulous. Both of our mouths dropped in awe as this is one of the best rooms we stayed in. It felt luxurious because it was. Wifi wasn't a problem although we had to keep reconnecting our machines from time to time. -1 star for lack of upgrade

Service - I asked for my shoes to be shined which is normal for all St Regis properties. They gave me a brush and cloth and hinted that I had to do it myself. And this is coming from a 5 star hotel? -1 star for having me shine my own shoes

Concierge - was very helpful in giving us directions to where we wanted to go and confirming our reservations with us. However, do not use the hotel services to the airport. We were able to get a Mercedes through the TA forums for ALOT cheaper than their suggested rate.

Gym - could have been better, but it is clean.

Location - there's not much around in the area, but the subway is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We were able to do some walking to places.

Money saving tip!!! - Free Water and Sports Drinks from the gym. Stock up here so that you don't have to go to the local store to buy.

Overall, it's a superb hotel but the service could have been better. Why on earth would you have me shine my own shoes is beyond me? I'm not sure that I would pay the prices listed for this hotel or return for that matter. As a SPG Platinum member, I did not feel anything special as I normally would feel at other SPG hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank albutt27
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, General Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings about your stay at the St. Regis Hotel in Rome. We value your opinion and your loyalty as a frequent traveler and Starwood Preferred Guest member. We usually strive to upgrade our Guests’ accommodations, but - being the month of September high season - we can only presume that the hotel occupancy did not allow us to do so in occasion of your visit. Thank you for reporting your experience about the shoe-shine; this is very unusual as it is our pleasure to take care of our Guests’ shoes polishing every day and we will certainly follow up operationally to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. Allow us to just mention that in December we have substituted most exercise machineries in the Fitness center with the most updated ones and we trust that, whenever you travel to Rome again, you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back and to show you the result of our efforts to provide our Guests with a bespoke service.
Sincerely yours,

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Rome

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Spent 3 nights here while touring Rome prior to boarding the Seabourn ODYSSEY. We were originally shown to a Jr. Suite on the ground floor with a view of a noisy water pump system located just outside the window, which was unacceptable. We were then moved to a beautiful second floor full suite where we enjoyed this magnificent hotel and it's wonderful staff, including our butler, who brought our morning coffee. We had upgraded to an internet/breakfast package prior to arriving. The buffett breakfasts were terrific but charging for internet is so-o-o nickel and dime! I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, General Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Guest,
GRAZIE for your comments about the butler dedicated service and your satisfactory breakfast experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed your upgraded accommodation; sometimes it is not easy to individuate our Guests’ preferences and priorities before their arrival, but it is always a pleasure when we are able to propose the right solution. We are also grateful for your comment about the internet charges, as it gives us the opportunity to inform you that we are currently reviewing this policy in order to individuate a solution that better responds to our Guests’ requirements. So your criticism is truly appreciated and will be kept into serious consideration. Once again, thank you and best wishes for a 2012 full of interesting travels!
Sincerely yours,
The General Manager

Reviewed 20 December 2011

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and I didn't expect much as I've heard hotels in italy (or europe for that matter) are very small. We arrived at the st regis and was blown away by the christmas decor and interiors of the lobby.
However, the check in desk service was not up to par. He didn't seem like he wanted to be there.. but we just looked past that.
The room was very spacious and roman - no complaints. Room service was not bad - it was inconsistant at times throughout our 6 nights there. i guess i do expect alot from a luxury hotel that claims their service as a top priority.
For the money paid, I probably would not go back there but was good to have experienced it this time round.

Room Tip: There are a couple of rooms that are extremely small (not worth what you pay) If you do get it, ask...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

The St. Regis was a wonderful oasis for myself, wife, 3 yo and 10 month old after a day of exploring Rome. We stayed for 10 nights. (Dec 2 to 12th). The service was impeccable and friendly. The hotel is gorgeous and quiet and the beds are heavenly. It is pricey. A 250ml bottle of diet coke was 10€! But this is truly a 5 star hotel. One minor quirk is the shower door had a one inch gap and would not close all the way and so the floor got a little wetter than normal. I reported it once by phone and once by "e-butler" with no response. Not a big deal, just odd. Overall, loved the hotel, service, food, & housekeeping. I thought it had a good location--easy walks to metro, termini and park. It is surrounded by 4 gorgeous churches and has a Bernini across the street (St. Theresa in Ecstacy). The Hard Rock Cafe was two blocks away and satisfied my craving for some American food.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank JasonfromTacoma

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments after your significant experience at the St. Regis Hotel. We are delighted that you and your family felt you were in a “oasis” and enjoyed memorable stay; there is nothing more rewarding than your encouraging appreciation! Thank you for also mentioning the issue with the shower door; our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams are checking them on a daily basis in order to repair and correct any inadequate situation.
We are also happy that you found the time to visit the four ancient churches, which are located just a few minutes walking from the hotel as well as the Quirinale Palace (the Italian President Residence) and nearby Scuderie (with famous exhibitions) and the Mosè monumental fountain, right on the hotel corner.
We all look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit to the Eternal city and we wish you and your family and a wonderful 2012!

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Attentive and friendly staff, superior restaurants and amenities, and luxurious accommodations were all in evidence. I would happily stay here again.

My one reservation concerns the hotel's location in a busy, traffic-intensive area, and just far enough away from major tourist sites to make it a little inconvenient if touring and relaxation are your main objectives.

Room Tip: High traffic could cause problems for light sleepers. Do try the gourmet restaurant -- there is a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PSToronto

Dear Guest, Thank you for your most valuable and encouraging feedback about the hotel features and the level of service and cuisine. We are delighted that you enjoyed the Vivendo restaurant; we do pay a lot of attention to our culinary proposals, both at breakfast with a dedicated food selection for children and also a special dietary & vegetarian corner and at our outlets with accurately selected events and promotions which, as you mentioned, can be viewed on the hotel website. We are also grateful for your comment about the light sleepers since it gives us the opportunity to say that the hotel can offer beautiful accommodations overlooking a large and bright courtyard, which is very quiet and can assure peaceful nights. .
We look forward to welcoming you back to the St. Regis hotel, making it your personal address in the Eternal City!
Best wishes for a memorable New Year,

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Our stay here was very nice. The hotel itself is beautiful, clean, and in a great location. The staff is very helpful. They were always willing to provide any service needed and met every request. The concierge was very helpful recommending restaurants regardless of what we were craving. Our room was beautifully decorated and average size. The bathroom was very big for European standards. Excellent water pressure. Great place. I would choose it again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mnobles
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I spent one night in this very impressive hotel attending a conference. It has a very memorable lobby and bar area with exquisite furniture. I eat breakfast and dinner in the hotel restaurant – the food was very good, as you would expect in a hotel of this type.
My room was spectacular (on the third floor) with a mural on the wall behind the bed and a couple of wonderful paintings on the walls. You really knew you were in Rome! It had a very personal and unique feel – which is rare in a large hotel.
The service was very good and the staff friendly. I think what stood out the most was the wonderful smiles that greeted you whenever you approached anyone. The staff were happy and seemed glad to help. The wifi was even good - which is often a problem in older hotels.
I will definitely go back with my fiancé for a longer stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business