“The BEST”

Ranked #84 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
St. Louis, MO
“The BEST”
Reviewed 11 October 2009

This hotel was like staying in a palace! The rooms were beautiful and even had artwork. The bathroom was slightly small but just as amazing as the room. The St. Regis is one of my favorite hotel chains and this was by far the best I have ever stayed at. The hotel is centrally located and very close to the train station. Absolutely worth the splurge!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
WorldTraveler
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The food was inspired by the Bloody Mary and the ravioli deserved a second helping. The KamiSpa i think its called, massage was relaxing. The staff were very helpful especially at the door. Stefano was the best. Plan to go back next year!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The hotel has been decorated in a beautiful Italian style, very comfortable and our room was a reasonable size. Concierge and checking very helpful. Although Rome is a small city it was just off the main tourist attractions and lacked the intimacy of other locations. However, it is possible to walk to all main destinations and it is next to the subway.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anglotraveller
Euless, TX
Reviewed 7 October 2009

The St. Regis Grand is a beautiful hotel which is well located one block from Piazza de la Repubblica and a Metro station. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are large and well decorated. The staff is very friendly and very helpful with questions, and recs for activities or restaurants. The hotel is expensive, but you are getting what you paid for. We used Starwood cash and points, and enjoyed every minute of our stay at the St. Regis Grand!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We just spent 4 nights at the St. Regis Grand in Rome at the recommendation of a friend. As the dollar is still weak, this pricey hotel is very expensive. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was that my friend said it was the best service she had ever experience. Not so for me. The concierge and bellmen were very good. After two nights, and after my husband persistently requested, we were upgraded to a larger, quieter room with a better view. We were pleased. Although lovely, the hotel is done in a very baroque style which is not exactly our taste. The weak link for service was the wait staff in the breakfast room. Every time I ordered a tea with milk and honey, something was missing. I always had to ask twice for either the milk or the honey. This is a small thing, but at a hotel of this caliber, I don't expect that to happen 5 times in a row. Breakfast was also inconsistent. Also, the location near the Piazza de Repubblica, is not the best for sightseeing in central Rome, but there is a Metro stop right there. Next time, we'd like to be a little more central.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank denany
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Hotel is somewhat well located depending on what you want to see in Rome. Rooms are a bit small and not very quiet, but clean and nicely decorated. Our biggest complains are about the service. Almost every time you had to wait to get to the front desk or concierge and especially front desk was not very helpful. Upon our arrival at about 1pm we still didn't have a room available. Front desk told us that housekeeping would just need to check our room to make sure everything was ok and told us to wait in the restaurant. After waiting for more than an hour I got back to the front desk who told me that the room was still not ready and I was again told that they would come and tell us when the room was ready. Eventually the room finally was ready at about 4pm and I still had to go and ask for it myself.

Overall we got the feeling this hotel is not quite up to five star standards. It's a good hotel, but overprised for a four star.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2009

This is one place I would never stay at again. I found the staff to be very uptight. Everyone has their hand out for a tip... Even the guy who came up to our room to show us how to use the remote expected a tip.

The one incident which infuriated me had to do with an ironing board. My wife and I had been invited to attend a Papal Mass at the Vatican and I phoned at 7:30 a.m. to ask for an ironing board and an iron to iron my own shirt and pants. I was informed this was impossible since this was against fire regulations (which seems bizarre because other hotels in Rome were able to accomodate us). I asked them to press the pants and shirt for me and have it ready by 8:30 a.m. They charged me 56 Euros (!) for this service because I had requested it in less than an hour. I tried explaining 8:30 - 7:30 = 1 hour and should get the "reduced" rate of 28 euros... but they wouldn't budge.

Personally, I think these European "Grand Hotels" are a crock...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple