“Hotel Universo is the best!”

Best Western Plus Hotel Universo
Ranked #228 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have been at this hotel for five days. The room is beautiful, spacious! The staff is incredible! From the front desk to the dining experience (full breakfast and extraordinary suppers) I would come back here in a New York minute! The beds are heavenly and the bathroom is out of a better homes and gardens magazine! The entire staff is professional and lovely.

Room Tip: We had a king size bed with a twin along side of it. Plenty of room to spare! A very quiet place to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jetone25
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Plus Hotel Universo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Jetone25,
Thank you for having taken some time to write a comment about your recent stay at our hotel.
I was very pleased to meet you and I do hope to see you again very soon!
My best regards.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

From my arrival this hotel was very much to my liking,its staff proffesional,attentive and helpful and its location excellent..The room was large and extreemy comfortable with its television offering two much appreciated English news channels..The bar is very reasonable priced and much less costly than most Roman bars.(Heineken 3 Euro)..The breakfast is very well considered and extensive,many items gluten free,all of lovely quality and freshness..and as a bonus,decent Twinnings tea...All in all dear Isabella, you and your staff are an excellent example of Roman Hospitality..Thank You..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Michael S
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Plus Hotel Universo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Michael S,
Thank you very much for your kind comment.
On behalf of Isabella and all our staff I'd like to thank you also for the compliments.
We are happy you have enjoyed your stay and the typical roman hospitality.
Hoping to see you again soon, arrivederci!
Warm regards.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We spent a week here with a family of three. We liked the location, because it's walking distance from all the major shopping areas and there's lots of restaurants nearby.
Our room was junior suite and it was very clean and spacious enough for us. There's a separate sleeping area upstairs and a small sitting area + newly renovated bathroom downstairs. Not much to see from the window and a small sofa table could've been nice to have. But overall we liked the price-quality-ratio of the room.
Gym was big and very well equipped. Breakfast was ok with selection of mostly pastries and sweet stuff...could've been more healthier choices too.
Staff was attentive and we got all the help we needed, no complains at all.

Overall experience was very good and I can recommend this hotel to family travelers, too.

Room Tip: Junior suite is an excellent choice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ag78

Dear ag78,
Thank you very much for you lovely comment.
I've loved to read you enjoyed our hotel and the location.
I hope there will be soon another occasione to serve you.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 days in May, hotel was great, as we were barely in our room. Only problem!!! Very intimating taxi drivers waiting outside the hotel, made a mistake using him at the beginning of our trip! The driving was extremely erratic and charged double the price, didn't have a meter on..... So beware!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Leigh A
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Plus Hotel Universo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Leigh A,
Thank you for the comment.
I am glad to know the accommodation at our hotel met your expectations.
I am sorry to read you had a bad experience with a taxi driver.
When visiting a city and in need of a taxi ride, it is always recommendable to apply to the reception staff who will call a regular taxi belonging to one of the local companies hence provided with a regular meter.
Hoping to see you again soon,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed one night in this hotel, and this is probably in the top 5 of worst hotel stays I've had in 25 years of travel. It certainly doesn't meet the Best Western standards I've normally enjoyed in the USA or Europe.

I feel very bad for the staff of this hotel -- because they work hard -- but the hotel is not properly managed.

There are too many things to mention, but here is some of the stuff:

The front desk is chaotic. When I arrived, my room reservation was under someone else's name (which took a lot of hoopla to figure out). Then I was put into a smoking room (when I requested non-smoking -- but after the tiresome front desk experience, I just relented to stay in the room I got...).

No safe in the room -- if you want to lock-up your valuables -- you have to bring them to the front desk. What modern hotel does this now?

The TV is a joke. While I'm not here to watch TV, all modern hotels have reasonable satellite TV access to catch-up on news. I got two stations... CNN and BBC. But they would go away after about 10 minutes of watching, unless you shut off the TV, waited 10 minutes for the satellite connection to re-boot, and then go back on.

"Free breakfast" is also a joke. I came in on time to find dirty tables from yesterday.... and no food (except for stale breads wrapped in plastic wrap from the day before). 20 minutes later they finally roll out fresh food...

STAY AWAY from this hotel is all I can say.

How this hotel retains a "Best Western" label on it, I don't know.

Again, I feel very sorry for the staff. They are clearly working hard -- but the place is mismanaged from top to bottom.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SW t
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Plus Hotel Universo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear SW T,
Thank you for the review.
I've read carefully your comment and I apologize sincerely for having failed in meeting your expectations.
However, please let me reply to your statements in order to clarify and to inform either you and the readers of this blog.
For what concerns the safes in the rooms we are planning to provide each room with its own.
Also regarding the television channels, I understand your discomfort, however I think that particolar tv must have had issues as waiting 10 minutes for the satellite connection to re-boot is not a normal procedure of our television sets.
I wonder if you reported it to the reception staff to let our maintainance team take care of the problem.
Please let me also underline a very important thing such as the fact that we do not absolutely leave dirty tables from the day before in our breakfast room.
That is something that would never be accepted at our hotel.
I can only assume you had breakfast just after a group did, hence that could be the reason why some of the tables were not immediately ready to be accommodated at.
Also that is probably the reason why it took a little time to our employees to supply the buffet to with fresh food.
In any case it takes only few minutes either to clean the tables and to replenish the buffet.
Being a Best Western International hotel requires many mandatory qualifications that must endure in time. Infact Best Western carries on scheduled checks to our property.
Again I apologize for haven't provided the expected experience.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near the train\bus station, but is full of issues. The shower wands are univero-ly leaking, the A/C is non-functional, and only the bartender appears to be interested in the guests. Since this is part of a tour, I did not pick it, but would NOT do so again. The final nail in the sarcophagus is that when our tour left early, they could not be bothered to provide breakfast early.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear sablansr8,
Thank you for the review.
I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations, however I have taken notice of your comments, as I always do, in order to improve our services.
Hoping you will like to evaluate the idea to come to stay at our hotel again so to show you our improvements,
I remain yours faithfully.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Hotel rooms kinda small. Bathroom is nice and big. The only positive note about this hotel is that it is situated near termini station wherein hop on hop off bus, public buses, and metro are a few minutes walk. But it's far from all others. Location is very quiet and sometimes scary. Not much choices to eat. Breakfast not bad too. They have free wifi which is a big plus.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Plus Hotel Universo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear cute_kail,
Many thanks for your comment.
Hoping to have soon the occasion to see you,