“When in Rome....”

Best Western Hotel Artdeco
Ranked #239 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My wife an I stayed here for 6 days. Our first impressions were that the hotel was fairly basic, but once we started looking around, our view changed. Yes, the public rooms and standard bedrooms were small (yet comfortable), but the wall hangings, furniture, ceilings and ornaments certainly ensure the hotel lives up to its name. When we started to examine the art deco design and features, we began to see the place in a new light - it was somehow a distinct pleasure to walk back in time and appreciate the special atmosphere imparted by this exciting period.
As for the practicalities, the staff were pleasant, helpful and efficient - the majority spoke some english and the manager on reception was fluent. The breakfast was varied and perfectly adequate but when we tried the small restaurant for dinner one night, we were a tiny bit disappointed in the menu, presentation and service - none of which could compete with that of the local independent restaurants. Wi-fi was free but very patchy reception at weekends. Location was fine, enabling those fit enough to walk to and from most of Rome's historical attractions. And the price was about right, comparable with London for the same grade of hotel.

Room Tip: If you want anything other than a small bedroom, ask for a premium room and check the size of it on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seenoff
sales_9, Direttore vendite at Best Western Hotel Artdeco, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Dear Sir,
we really thank you for taking your time review our hotel. We very much try our best to maintain the original Artdeco style in all our forniture and details . For the restaurant we just took over the management from the old owner, so we agree that all is no t perfect as we used to be. Indeed we appreciated your suggestion and we will try to put them in to practice.
The comment on quality price level is absolutely correct, we always try to offer the best deal possible.
We wait for your next stay at the hotel Artdeco in Rome and please accept our very best regards

Emanuele Faini
Sales & Marketing Manager
Hotel Artdeco

There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Artdeco

Reviewed 5 June 2013

This was my first time at the Hotel Art Deco in Rome. The name describes it well since the overall decor is definitely original Deco. I had a small room for one person but I found it very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was varied and very good. The hotel is located in a quiet area close to Porta Pia some 800 meters from Termini. I will definitely come back to this place on my next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ricardo C
sales_9, Direttore vendite at Best Western Hotel Artdeco, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear Guest
we appreciated your review. Our single room are with the ceiling very high, like almost all the rooms of the hotel, and look particularly pretty and pleasant even if you are in proper single room with single bed.
We thank you also to stress the good location and the buffet breakfast.
We are going to improve the quality level of the buffet with tasty fresh food. I hope you will taste it soon at your arrival at our Hotel Artdeco next time in Rome
Best regards.

Emanuele Faini
Sales & Marketing Manager
Hotel Artdeco
Rome

Reviewed 2 June 2013

The thing that put me off the most about this place was the staff. I found them to be rude and too busy to be helpful. Never got a smile out of anyone. The room was very small, albeit clean. Our window looked out into a back alley with piles of junk at the bottom. It was about a block away from the subway which was helpful but It didn't feel that safe to me. We took the subway everywhere we went and would get on close to this hotel but then have to change at the main terminal to go to other areas. Breakfast was nothing special. I don't like giving negative reviews but this place deserved it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chevyflygirl
Reviewed 24 May 2013

we got a small room but our friends had bigger rooms-they are not the same size
clean room, comfortable bed, breakfast ok good location, Got the room for a very good price but usually ut is much more expensive
I certainly recommend this hotel (especially for what we paid -it was great value)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The BW Hotel Artdeco is a very nice clean hotel with a friendly staff. The hotel is about 10 to 15 minutes from the Termini Train Station. We took a train from Venice in the morning and dragged our luggage to the hotel. Be sure to get your bearings prior to departing the train station so you do not waste time or energy.
Once you get to the hotel you will find that you are about 20 -25 minutes from major sites such as the coliseum. If the Vatican is your destination you will need to take a bus. The hotel has free wifi that worked great. They offer breakfast not the greatest, but the cappuccino is very good. Our room was spacious with all the amenities you would expect.
This one is a keeper….

Room Tip: Had a second floor room, was easy to get to by taking stairs or elavator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdela10
sales_9, Responsabile reception at Best Western Hotel Artdeco, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to review us, we are very happy to hear that you had a nice stay in our establishment.
We are quite close to Termini station, the best way to reach us is to come out to the left, walk up Via Marghera and then take the fourth street to the left : Via Palestro.
We are glad that you have used and enjoyed our free Wifi system.
We have improved our buffet breakfast with a better selection of fresh fruit.
Hoping to have you here in a near future
Best regards
Antonio Guizzetti
Front Office Manage0r

Reviewed 26 April 2013

The Artdeco is well situated for walkers or bus/subway riders who want to visit all the major sites in central Rome. The artdeco style interiors are well appointed, very clean, and offer lots of amenities already in the room - lots of towels, lots of tissue, plenty of outlets for charging your phone/laptop/electronics/shaver, shower gels and lotions, a selection of soaps, iron, board, and even a decent selection of multi-language news channels on the TV. Some rooms have a private terrace with a table and chairs for two - very relaxing. The staff are well organized, clear communicators (I heard them speaking fluently in French, English, Spanish, Italian and German without any problems at all), courteous and professional in their conduct, with a thorough knowledge of the hotel, its services, the neighbourhood, and Rome itself.

Where the Artdeco falls down a bit is in the breakfast room and at night. Breakfast is a typical small hotel buffet - a tiny hot table, cold cuts, a small selection of cereals, canned fruit, and a selection of breads and croissant. It's not bad, but it's also nothing more than average. The coffee is hot enough, but poorly brewed and tasteless - absolutely surprising in a world class city that is known for its coffee cognoscenti. At night, there is a very faint vibration in the hotel that is caused (most likely) by a rooftop mechanical unit (perhaps an air handler of some sort) that transmits a slight, low frequency vibration in several parts of the hotel. When you book, phone the front desk to ask for a room that does not vibrate. They'll know what you mean.

I still recommend the hotel. The price, cleanliness, pleasant staff, the quiet neighbourhood and the ease of access to all the great sites in Rome make it a decent choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Agitater
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I was very happy with my choice. There are areas in Rome that I prefer/feel familiar with, one is the Spanish Steps one and the other around Termini (but not in the dodgy hotels!) for easiness of transportation. First time in this hotel and I liked it. I like to know that I 'll find the BW standards. Yes, rooms may not be big (standard sized), but clearly you are not going to Rome to stay in your room, right? everything was clean and worked perfectly, could use the frigobar to store my milk and others. Breakfast, as always very good and yummy buffet selection. Easy to reach from Termini, check the map first. Take the side exit on the right of the station (if you are coming by train) and you'll see the bus stop (BTW I highly recommend taking the Alitalia shuttle if you are going/coming from Fiumicino, it is a great service and less expensive than the Leonardo's train. I asked and they told me that I could use the service if I was flying with any airline of the alliance (my flight was with KLM) glad I did). ok, continue walking along this main street until where all the buses stop until the corner where the traffic lights are (the end of the extended termini station area) (probably 1 or 2 blocks). Turn right, one block, you'll see a big avenue, at the end of the block turn to the left (cross the avenue) you'll see a supermarket in one of the left corners of the small open square, get to there and take that street, one or two blocks, turn right and in the corner turn left, 1 or 2 blocks and the hotel is in your left.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo