All reviewsrooftop terracebeautiful churchsingle roomwithin walking distancetiny elevatoryour luggagefriendly hotellovely little hotelcontinental stylebasic hotelbusy roadpastriestrain stationmini barstayed here for nightsmain attractionssmall room
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Having decided a spur of the moment trip to Rome I had to search very hard for something half decent for the money. I finally settled on the Doria due to its positive reviews on trip advisor and am very glad that I did. The hotel is close to Termini but outwith the seedy area and is in walking distance of everything. In fact when we arrived we decided to go and quickly see the Santa Maria Maggiore but somehow ended up at the Trevi fountain! At night just a quick stroll down Via Cavour and there are a number of nice restaurants to enjoy. Somehow we lucked into the best room in the hotel which appears to be not only the biggest but is also the only one with a balcony and a direct view of the church. Room was perfectly adequate - beds a bit hard but to be expected. Word of warning if your planning to go at height of summer we were in middle of September and lucky the weather wasn't roasting but the aircon was pitiful in 25 degrees so I hate to think what it would be like in 40! Strange thing that no one else seems to have mentioned were the towels. This is the first time I have had what can only be described as a bedsheet to dry myself with! Kinda wished Id known so I could have taken one with me! Of and dont even try to take the key with you when you go out or you will be in trouble!!! One of the things I chose the Doria for was its roof terrace and Im glad I did - very cute with a great view, nice food and the cappacino was lovely! All in all a great stay at Doria however when I go back I think I will book well in advance for something a little more comfy.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 0404826p
hotel_doria_roma, Responsabile reception at Hotel Doria, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

Dear Customer
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and we are especially happy
for having found good.
The wait for a next stay in our beautiful city.
Greetings

Reviewed 23 July 2008

What a great little hotel and its just a skip and a hop from the main train station.

I found the reception to be incredibly helpful and friendlly and the continental breakfast that they had on the rooftop to be sustainable and breathtaking.

Rooms were on the traditional side (if not a little tacky), but their cleaning standards are really up to scratch (compared to most hotels I've stayed in Italy) and they're not fussed if you ask for a few more towels.

Come for the service, stay for the breakfast on the rooftop with a view of Rome. Definitely will be staying there again when Im back in Rome!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Dear Customer
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and we are especially happy
for having found good.
The wait for a next stay in our beautiful city.
Greetings

Reviewed 20 June 2008

We booked this hotel for three nights mainly on the positive TripAdvisor reviews. I think the reviews have mentioned many of the good things: The location is an easy five minute walk from the Termini, even with heavy luggage, and the loc is pretty good for local fare down Via Merulana or into the trendy Monti area. The Metro A line (Vic Emman stop) is three minutes away, and on a hot day (the cars have AC) was a great way to get into the centre quick. The breakfast buffet on the roof in good weather is a very relaxing way to start the day. And the room was clean and comfortable. But I must say the bathroom was exceptionally small. Both of us had to put our toiletry bag beside the bed. The shower was unimaginably tight, really really awkward (I'm 6 ft/185 cm and 180 pounds, so not huge but not tiny). I really felt like I was stepping into an isolation tank or about to be cryogencially frozen. There was also a huge honking blow-dryer taking up one wall in the cubicle bathroom which we bashed ourselves against over and over. But, again, very nice room, air conditioned, with good soundproofing and a flat screen TV. We left our luggage there for six hours on checkout day in a locked closet and really appreciated that. For short stays I would recommend it, but for longer stays I think you might need a bit more space.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Overseez
Reviewed 26 May 2008

5 minute walk from Termini station with easy access to most of central Rome. The Doria is a small but very good hotel for a 1 or 2 night stay. It's basic however very clean and with a nice roof top breakfast you can see the top of the Colosseum.

There were no toiletries which we found strange and would have liked some soap which you kind of expect. Not sure if this was an oversight or not and we were only there 1 night so we didn't mention it.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 23 May 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a very very wet but wonderful three days in Rome. We arrived after at the Doira Hotel after a lot of aggrevation with transfersfrom Ciampino airport (TERRAVISION-Rome council had impounded all the coaches the day we arrived so had to make our own way to Hotel via bus and metro and same on return). We had been up since 2.30am so arrived at the Doria very tired .The Hotel was very easy to find and in a great location. Unfortunately, there appeared to be a problem when we finally arrived at the hotel. A mistake had been made (by staff not us) and would my husband and I do the manager a favour and take two single room for the night. Well, we had booked a double room (since 8th Jan) and I was distraught! It was our 10th wedding anniversary and also my 40th so we had planned this trip for months only to be told we would have to spend the night apart. I'm sorry to say but I burst into tears. After a long trip, trouble with the coach and then this it was too much. I thought the trip was ruined at that point and I'm sorry to say it but why us? Anyway, the Manager saw how upset I had become and out of nothing a double room had appeared!!! To say I was pleased was an understatement but how come it had come to this?? The room was comfortable,very clean and the breakfast was lovely-as was the lady who looked after it all. I know this is meant to be a hotel review but we loved Rome despite the rain and we will be back!!! By the way, the night before we left we saw The Pope when he went to Santa Maria Maggiore for Corpus Christi! Talk about timing!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple