“Luxury in Central Rome”

Hotel Majestic Roma
Ranked #101 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 18 October 2007

We booked this hotel through Leading Small Hotels of the World and when asked why we were going to Rome I advised them it was our 15th Wedding Anniversary.

On arrival at the hotel we were taken to our room by the receptionist (first time I have experienced this) and she showed us the room and explained anything we needed. The hotel had arranged for a bottle of Fizz and nibbles to be there on our arrival - a very nice touch. The room itself was smallish but plenty of room and the bathroom was large with a window. The hige bed was very very comfortable and it was changed daily. The decor was high gloss white furniture and white walls with bright red curtains - not the type of room I usually book but everything was spotlessly cleaned and maintained. The mininbar was a proper fridge with room for our own bottles! The staff were very friendly and breakfast was served on a terrace overlooking the Via Veneto. Drinks were very expensive but this is Rome and if you're looking for luxury and attentive service and a brilliant location choose this hotel. We drank at one of the many bars just a few steps from the hotel - not as expensive and good for people watching.

You could walk every where from this hotel - we took a taxi to the Vatican but discovered it wasn't as far as it looked on the map and walked back easily. 5 mins walk took you to the top of the Spanish Steps and 10 mins to the Trevi Fountain and a little longer to the Piazza Navone.

On the whole a luxurious hotel but the rooms were a little too modern for my taste but very comfortable and an excellent location and a beautiful building.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AC100

Reviewed 9 October 2007

After vowing never to spend another New Years Eve in the UK (always too many tears, tantrums and terrible evenings!), my boyfriend and I booked a 5 day holiday to Roma. We chose the Majestic hotel due to it's location (towards the top of the city, but not too far to walk to local attractions, restaurants and nightlife), because of the rave reviews I'd read on sites similar to this one and plus their website looked pretty fabulous.
Our room was lovely, perfect for just the two of us! Every day, afternoon and evening, the hotel staff made sure our room was kept clean and tidy with fresh towels and when we arrived back from an evening/night out we would find our bed turned down for the night - it's the little touches that make it so special!!
Breakfast . . . we only had continental, and if I'm honest I was slightly dissapointed with the limited selection (probably also because I had to walk past the eggs and sausages to get to the food we were allowed!), but I refused to pay the difefrence in cost for the full breakfast - but anyway, the city has so many fabulous restaurants and cafes for lunch and dinner, it didn't make sense to fill up on breakfast.
The bar is lovely, but doesn't get busy enough to give it some atmosphere, but nevertheless we enjoyed a G&T before heading out for the evening and were well looked after by the bar staff.
Roma as a city is amazing, and I definitely recommend anyone to take a holiday there. I ate some of my favourite meals there - especially at the Hotel Eden - a taste sensation!!! Oh my, still makes me smile thinking about it almost a year on!
New Years Eve itself, we watched the fireworks by the Spanish Steps - entertaining, although slightly precarious when locals set off their own fireworks!
This year we're off to Lisbon for New Years Eve . . . we're planning on a new city every year!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2007

This hotel has a nice location. I love the Via Veneto for its cafes and ambiance. I will consider another hotel when I visit Rome again. The first room they gave us was nice and quiet. Good size. Bathroom needed a bit of work. When we returned from dinner the A/C was out. It was hot. They sent a man to work on it. He vacumed out the filter and left saying there was nothing he could do. It seemed they had had this problem before. We were ready for bed. So, they moved us to a much larger room after we repacked all of our things. The next room was a stinky smoking room. Everything reaked of smoke, the sheets, towels, everything. Nothing seemed fresh. We had to make do because they had no other rooms and it was late. I slept with a robe over my head and still woke up smelling smoke. I wondered if the room was used as a smoking break room! So, the next morning we talked to them. They said for us to pack our bags, have them ready, and they would move us to our third room. Now, that shouldn't be a problem, but this was our 5th hotel in three weeks. We were tired of all the packing and unpacking. So, when we returned we had another room. Nice actually but next to the service elevator and on the street. It was noisy, very noisy. Hard to take a nap in the afternoon. They tried. They were very nice about our complaints and tried to accomodate. We were being reasonable in our requests for a good, cool, quiet room. One of the problems is that they need to renovate. It is an old hotel and has charm. It's has problems like the shower had only very hot water, no cool. It would run from hot to very hot in intervals.The bathroom was old and faucets rusty. As far as service goes, housekeeping rarely got to our room to clean it before 2:00 or 2:30. We would be returning from a busy morning in Rome and come back to an unmade bed. The bar is nice but a bit stuffy. They did have a nice business center we could use but at times the computers were down. The breakfast was very average. We used a huge amount of Amex points on this hotel and it was truly a disappointment. They were good about making reservations and suggestions but failed to tell us that one of the lunch spots where we had reservations did not allow dress shorts. We walked all the way to Piazza Popolo for lunch to find we couldn't eat there. They made the reservation knowing what we were wearing and were on our way out. There's just something missing at this hotel. Its a shame because it could be really nice.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Tandy B
Reviewed 2 September 2007

My partner and I just returned from our week stay at the Hotel Majestic. From the moment we checked in we were treated like VIPs. We arrived early on a Sunday morning after an overnight flight, not expecting a room to be ready. The staff made us feel welcomed immediately and not only did they have a room ready for us, but upon inquiring about the possiblity of getting a room with a balcony, let us choose from 2 different rooms. Our room was stunning with a terrace overlooking the Via Veneto. It had a table with 4 chairs and 2 lounge chairs all with a retractable awning, which was much needed in the hot August sun. Each time we left or came back we were warmly greeted. The staff gave us interesting information about area attractions and were always willing to go the extra mile. One afternoon we had asked for a wakeup call and due to a miscommunication it never came. After we mentioned it to the desk before we left we returned to our room to find a chilling bottle of champagne with a note of apology. Completely unnecessary, but wonderful all the same. The champagne by the way went perfectly with the cannollis we had purchased to enjoy on the terrace in the cool evening. The rooms were done each day and they had turn down service at night, which included a card indicating what the weather forcast was for the next day. We had a package that included breakfast which we had on the outside patio each day. I could understand that if you didn't have breakfast included that it was very expensive and honestly not a whole lot for the money. In the future we would probably just get the continental breakfast instead of the American Breakfast. It was your typical European breakfast, not like we have here, but good all the same. We had read a review previously and honestly we're not sure what that person was talking about. We were able to walk to the Spanish Steps, and the Trevi Fountain with ease. You could also walk to the Borghese Gallery, which was a little longer. Truthfully if you go in August I would recommend a hop on hop off bus just because of the heat but you could certainly get to all the major attractions from this hotel one way or another with ease. We will highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Rome. If you want a first class experience and to be treated like a Queen or King, stay at the Hotel Majestic.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank penngirls
Reviewed 25 August 2007

Over the past few months I have had the opportunity to travel regularly to Rome due to work and so have had the opportunity to stay in a number of Hotels near Via Veneto.
My favourite is the Majestic. I love the decor., the service, the cleanliness, the bed linen, the white marble bathrooms, the friendly staff and the excellent breakfast. Once or twice I have been placed in a single room at the back of the hotel and although nice they do not have the space and grandeur of some of the larger rooms at the front of the hotel.
Breakfast is my favourite time. You are looked after very well and all the food on offer is excellent.
This is very much the type of old style Boutique hotel that I like. The bold & opulent decor. will not be to everyones taste but the rest should not disappoint.
It is expensive but if I were paying myself I would decide to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Psip
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I stayed at the Majestic in February for 4 nights for a work conference and had a very pleasant stay.

I'm not sure what staff that the previous reviewer encountered but I found all staff here to be efficient and friendly, in particular the senior person on the desk who was very friendly, always had a smile and always willing to help with any problems we had.

On the first night myself and some colleagues arrived in late (too late to use the restaurant) but the staff at the bar were all too happy to provide bar food even though they had officially closed the kitchen.

The room was superb - very clean (spotless to be precise), spacious with an excellent bathroom.

I cannot comment on the restaurant food as we did not dine at the main restaurant, although the food provided for lunch was above the usual standard of corporate catering.

The hotel is not first class for facilities and does not have a pool (which is a shame), but overall has a feeling of class about it. The conference rooms are a little threadbare but it sort of adds to the hotel's charm. I would say that it does trade off of it's past of having many famous guests (the hotel bar is scattered with notes from celebs saying how much they enjoyed their stay...).

I also can't understand how the previous reviewer can say that it is effectively in the middle of nowhere - sure it isn't right next to the coloseum, but it's only a 5-10 minute walk from most attractions including the shopping areas. Plus taxi's aren't that expensive in Rome (about the only thing that isn't though!). For me walking around Rome is not a chore - it's a beautiful city; I guess it depends on whether you are lazy or not...

The only grumble I really have is that the breakfast was way below par. I would not have paid for breakfast had I been paying for the hotel myself.

In a subject not directly related to the hotel, inexperienced visitors to Rome need to be very, VERY, careful about getting ripped off. Rome is a beautiful place but a big tourist trap and you need to be very streetwise, particularly with bars and restaurants in the area - check every single item on your bill and expect to stand your ground when additional items find their way on to your bill...

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank RetroGuitarBoy
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We booked this hotel based on trip advisor... First of all, terrible location... there is nothing close to it. The concierge acts as though they are helpful but the look on their face says it all. They think you are stupid for not knowing how to get around in a city you have never been to. Now to the hotel itself - rundown and not taken care of. Finally - the food. We were charged 80 euro (over $100 USD) for breakfast for two. I promise the food was not even edible and we were disgusted. Stay anywhere else!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple