“Central location and excellent service”

Hotel Canada, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #72 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Best Western Hotel Canada is a lovely, smaller hotel located close to the main train station in Rome. It is beautifully decorated and our room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was extremely comfortable, and we both enjoyed two nights of good sleep. The breakfast selection was extensive and the staff friendly. Front desk staff were very helpful in assisting with directions, restaurant suggestions, and setting up both city tours and airport transportation. The hotel includes three lounge or reception rooms for bar service and free snacks - really appreciated after hours of sight-seeing. Reasonable priced. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Canada, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed 4 nights from 21st October and chose this hotel for 3 reasons. It's within walking distance of the Termini where buses & train from the airport arrive in central Rome and close to the main central sights. The room price was reasonable for the quality of the hotel in a central area of Rome and thirdly the number of favourable reviews given to the hotel.

I was not disappointed. For a 4 day break I travelled with hand luggage only and the hotel is approx 400 to 500 metres from the Termini so no problem in walking it and easy to locate. Come out of the front of the Termini and facing forward cross the bus station and when you reach the main road turn to your right and continue for about 400 yards before taking a right turn that brings you close to the hotel. The hotel was spotlessly clean and comfortable. I had room 118 and I found it quiet at night as well as clean and comfortable, there appeared to be little night time traffic in the surrouding streets so for a 'city' hotel that was a plus, and whilst I was there I heard little noise of other guests so got a good nights sleep. The breakfast room was bright and spotless with a decent breakfast selection and the staff friendly. The lounge area was comfortable and drink prices very reasonable with some free nibbles too which was a nice touch. The reception staff too were very helpful if you required any information. I hadn't pre-booked my return coach to the airport and having seen the number of people milling around at the coach information kiosk and buses and also at the station info I asked reception where was the easiest place to buy a train ticket to the airport - low and behold reception were able to sell me one so I checked out with my bag and had an extra hours sightseeing before strolling to the station and straight onto the train after validating my ticket in the machine - relief to avoid the hassle. The train runs approx every 30 mins takes about 35 mins and cost 14 euros. If you want to eat somewhere in close vicinity to the hotel rather than in the centre of Rome I was recommended Mamma Angela's and I found it very good - I actually ate there three nights and all three nights enjoyed my meals, from the Roman style lamb, to the veal and also the grilled sea bass - the tiramasu as a desert was fab - prices sort of mid range if you know what I mean.To find the restaurant turn right out of the hotel entrance and then take second turning on the right and it's on the opposite side of the road. In terms of the hotels location to the sights of Rome I would estimate the Roman Forum to be about a mile away and if you're a reasonable walker then the sights in the centre of Rome are walkable which is the best way of seeing a city. One other comment - close to the Termini is a tourist info kiosk, near here you will see 2 or 3 people wandering around waving leaflets - most people seem to avoid them thinking they're touts or time share or something - actually they are tourist info too and if you want info on how to get to places or what tickets you need they will give you info, some tickets they can sell, others they'll direct you to the appropriate kiosk to purchase - I made my way out to Hadrians Palace near Tivoli and also to Ostia Antica and they were very helpful in giving the info I needed. I'm planning to return to Rome in May 2013 and as long as the hotel price remains similar to this visit I'll be looking to stay here again. A smashing city break and and very pleased with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Geordieus
Reviewed 2 November 2012

The hotel was clean and the day staff were friendly and helpful. If you are walking from the train station make sure you have a map. The written directions on their website are wrong and no one seemed to know where Via Vicenza was along Via Marsala.The daytime desk clerk was very helpful in giving us directions and good transportation options to the sights we wanted to see. We had lovely appies with our evening drink in the lobby before going for dinner nearby. As we were leaving early to catch a flight we were told that breakfast would be delivered to our room ... even though they woke us up at 10:00 pm to say the food was on the way it never arrived. In the morning we were not informed that the time had changed and the sign was put up on the front desk as the clerk was telling us. Luckily for us we were an hour early. We had pre-booked a cab to the airport but when he came he was not a cab but a private vehicle. At 5:30 am we decided that he looked trustworthy enough and made it to the airport, as the clerk insisted that this was a taxi and we knew we would be on our own if we wanted a real taxi.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We spent 4 nights (13th Oct-17th Oct) at this charming and very reasonable priced hotel.
The location is excellent within walking distance of most of the sites and of course the railway & metro stations. We stayed in room 532 which was a superior room. It was spacious with a small balcony which overlooked a inner courtyard, lovely and quiet. Furnished with nice antiques and the bathroom was quite large. Breakfast was very good - plenty of selection. There is also a number of reasonable priced and cosy restaurants in the area. We asked for a kettle for our room and tea/milk was amply replenished daily. Loved the old fashioned lift.
Would suggest booking on-line before your visit to see the vatican. We were very glad we did so because the queues were miles long. Also book before for Galleria Borghese - you can walk easily from hotel here. It will take about 45 min via metro and walking to get to Vatican from hotel. All in all we had a splendid and most enjoyable time in Rome. And we thought it less expensive than Florence and Paris.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Convenient to Termini railway station but in a quiet location this delightful hotel combines elegance and contemporary styles without it being a mess. Largish, comfortable rooms tastefully furnished. A quirky lift for those who need one, and a sumptuous buffet breakfast, rounded off by very helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Hotel was very nice but had a couple of niggles. We were on level 4 (the smoking level) but I have to say you wouldn't have known. The niggles for us were the noise on level 5. There are no carpets on the floors, which is great for cleanliness, but it sounds like there is a party going on up above. It kept us awake and then woke us again at 6.30 in the morning. Also, it didn't help when the cleaner put on the radio of the room opposite that she was cleaning, which was so loud I had to ask her to turn it down. Breakfast was good but terribly busy and had to wait for a table on 2 of the 3 mornings.

The area was fine and much better than a really busy area. Didn't see any unsavoury types!! Hated the Terminii station, which wasn't helped when my husband had his wallet taken from the FRONT of his jeans pocket. They were very clever and clearly earmarked us when we walked down to the platform. They separated our son from us so we had to look out for him, shoved my daughter into me as we boarded the metro, I then fell into a suitcase and they took the wallet, removed all the money, threw the wallet on the floor and ran. Be careful there. Far better to use the metro entrance just around the corner. Far more civilised and a lot less travellers.

Two great restaurants nearby - Mama and Angels and Il Leoni d'Abruzzia.

The staff were great here - all amazingly friendly and helpful.

Yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the top of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I was initially disappointed with the hotel, primarily with my room. It was tiny, and the bed for the two of us was two smaller beds placed together. (They were supposed to be twin beds, but they seemed so narrow.) Not all that comfortable, either. To be fair, it was a standard room not a deluxe room. However, over time, I came to appreciate the charms of this hotel.

Pros:
Location right near a Metro stop. The hotel is also very walkable to the Termini station. If you are coming directly from Termini station with luggage, skip the subway and just walk the few extra blocks. There is a lot of up and down in the metro.
Breakfast: Lovely breakfast in a charming breakfast room n the first floor. There is no view of the city, but your surroundings are so pleasant, you will not miss it. The staff in the breakfast area are very pleasant.
Inexpensive drinks in the bar, served by a very nice bartender.
Room on the interior courtyard was very quiet.
Room and bathroom were very clean

Cons:
As noted above, the beds left something to be desired.
The hairdryer in the bathroom was from another era. It was a short hose attached to a fixed blower. It was somewhat like drying your hair with a vacuum cleaner. Ladies, bring that blowdryer. (Maybe it is better in the deluxe room.)
I wasn't crazy about the Termini area.

Would I stay here again? Yes, if the price was right.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple