“nasty snooty front desk”

Hotel Canada, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #69 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I can't believe anyone things the service at this hotel is good. They gave us an internet code, which didn't work. They claimed it was our fault. Then, they said it was only good on the first device (my husband's phone) we used. I wanted to skype on our computer, so, have many trips to the loby, they finally gave us another code. We wanted a bottle of water and were told we had to get it in the bar. The bar was unattended. The desk clerk told me the bar guy was busy somewhere else and would return shortly. They did have some free snacks, but, the staff did not tell us about that when we checked in. The bar tender waited on 2 people who were there first before getting water. I wanted a shower cap. I was told to pick it up at the front desk. The front desk person claimed they didn't have any. Another clerk overheard my request and got one for me. I also had to get extra towels from the front desk. I guess if you are lucky and your internet code works and you don't want anything else, you'll like this. The breakfast is good.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2011

We selected this hotel because of its high ratings on Trip Advisor, and we were very pleased with our choice. As others have said, it's an easy walk from the Termini, and is right around the corner from a metro stop that takes to you to the Coloseum in about 5 minutes. Our room was on the 5th floor and had a nice view from the window. The canopy bed was very comfortable. At times, the hallway was noisy because of the tile floors, but overall, the hotel was very quiet. The bathroom is large and immaculate. It was a challenge to get the shampoo out of my hair in the low water pressure shower, but that is a minor detail. The breakfast buffet was delicious. I enjoyed the chocolate croissants, the assortment of cheeses, the fresh fruits, and the cappuccino. Smoked salmon was on the buffet one or two days as well. Take advantage of the very low drink prices and free snacks in the hotel bar. I purchased Vatican Museum tickets online, and it was no problem having the confirmation emailed to the hotel. (although the front desk manager told me I didn't need to make reservations and spend the extra 4 Euros at this time of year - and he was right. No line at all) The hotel does have free internet access, but they only allow one access code per room. This was a minor inconvenience since my husband and I both have Smartphones and wanted to check email, etc at the same time. They also only gave us a 4 day access code even though we were staying for 5 nights, but it was no problem to get this changed. Yes, we're a little addicted to our phones! I think if I went to Rome again, I'd like to stay in the area around the Pantheon, but on the other hand, easy access to public transportation does make a good location.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skteach
Reviewed 10 January 2011

The Canada hotel is very nice. The service is friendly and price very affordable.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Espoo_FinlandMeri
Reviewed 30 December 2010

After an early flight we very much appreciated the friendly welcome, the early room availability and the unexpected upgrade that was afforded to us upon our arrival at the Hotel Canada. The reception area was tatstefully decorated for Christmas and the large room exceeded our expectations, particularly the tiled floors and frescoes on the ceiling.

It is also worth noting that the hotel has a very comfortable and relaxing bar area with exceptionally cheap prices (6 Euro for a BOTTLE of wine).

The hotel is located a little way from the main attractions but note that there is a metro just a short walk from the hotel (much nearer than walking to the Termini) and it takes you to a stop just outside the Colosseum. From there you can walk north and visit just about every other main attraction without too much effort. It's worth getting the 4 Euro day transport ticket and then just jump on and off the numerous buses.

Our most notable memory of Rome however will, unfortunately, be our struggle to return home due to snow-bound UK airports forcing us to stay an extra two nights. Although this is potentially a bonus, commitments in the UK meant that we spent a lot of time re-booking and looking for alternative routes and modes of transport. What was a delight however, was how accommodating and flexible the reception staff were, while we went through the highs and lows of re-booked and continuously cancelled flights. In this regard I would particularly like to commend Gianfranco for his exceptional level of service although I should say that all staff were most profesional.

A gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GregfWatts
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I stayed at this hotel for seven nights, based on the excellent TripAdvisor reviews. I was in no way disappointed. All the praise which is heaped upon this hotel is thoroughly deserved.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank TigersfanHampshire
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We spent just one night here after returning by train from the Amalfi coast. We did not like the location as much as where we had stayed earlier on our trip, near the Colosseum, but the hotel itself is outstanding. Our room was elegant with many nice touches. We definitely had the best breakfast by far of our 2 week trip to Italy. Luggage storage and taxi to the airport were all handled well. And all this at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JDFOttawaCanada
Reviewed 29 November 2010

It was the review on this website that made me book this hotel and I was not disappointed. I was ill when I arrived and they arranged a Doctor within 15 minutes. The staff were very friendly and had great advice on shoppingand sightseeing. AFter walking all day we would return to the hotel and my daughter would go on line using the wi fi in the room and I would sit downstairs, have a quiet drink and read the books in the library. Great restaurants just one block down.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple