“Great Hotel and our Mariott Rewards status really paid off!!!!!!!!!”

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
Ranked #169 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Sometimes being a Marriott Rewards member really pays off, and on this trip to the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora on Via Veneto it really did.

I had requested three junior suites since I was traveling with two families who each had two small children, and finding a room for four people in Rome was almost impossible. We did not want to put the small children in rooms by themselves. The two room junior suite at the Marriott was the perfect answer, but the wonderful surprise was that they upgraded (it is part of their program when available) one of the suites (for the grandparents) to the Presidential Suite. It could not have been better! The oval living room of the Presidential Suite made a wonderful meeting place for the entire family for 10 days. There was a game table for the children, a wonderful desk for the computers, and assorted antique furniture which created a gracious ambiance. The view was also wonderful, the ancient walls of the city and the Borghese gardens iin addition to the Via Veneto..

The staff could not have been warmer or friendlier. Yolanda, the front office manager, who seemed to be helpful to everyone and visible to all guests arranged for coloring books for the children, extra bottled water (which is not included as standard at this Marriott), and generally made the stay a pleasure. Actually her style was unique in that she makes everyone feel as if they are her personal guests. Bernardo, the concierge, was friendly and helpful and if you ask him, he will tell you how to see the entire old city for 1 Euro on a bus that will bring you back to the front of the hotel (#116). Internet is free for some Marriott reward levels, but only 9 euros for a week if you are not eligible for free service.

There is a Carrefour supermarket across the street underground which is helpful for those odd sundries and snacks one sometimes needs.

Be sure to include breakfast in your rate, otherwise it is 30 Euro, or $40 per person. It is served in a splendid roof terrace setting overlooking the city including the Borghese Gardens and the Via Veneto (the most elegant street in Rome). The buffet was plentiful but I missed some of the more expected Italian items, such as parmigiano cheese and prosciutto ham. But they did have real maple syrup for the pancakes and waffles. The service was excellent and Sandro and Donatello did a superb job in meeting individual needs. The setting would be perfect for special occasions and events in the evenings or lunch.

All in all, I think it you cannot do better in Rome.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can. The views from many rooms are wonderful!
4  Thank celebrationtiger
There are newer reviews for Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Although this hotel is bit pricier than others, it's truly an excellent choice if you are traveling with your kids. We recently traveled with our 15 & 11 yr. old kids. They were happy to get an
"american" size room with a huge sitting area (presidential suite). The staff was incredibly helpful and professional. The location was ideal. We were close to the park and a beautiful part of Rome that was just a bit away from all the crazy traffic and all the overwhelming tour groups. I would certainly stay here again!!

4  Thank LorenaMas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Earlier this month, my husband and I were fortunate enough to stay at this lovely hotel for 5 nights.
We were thrilled with its location, right on the Via Veneto, inside the old wall, with many dining options in the evenings.
We had a fantastic suite, with a balcony overlooking the city and the Via Veneto.
This is an old hotel, that is in perfect condition. Rooms and public areas are immaculate. The staff is very helpful and professional. We really enjoyed the excellent breakfast every morning, that was made especially nice, by being able to eat outside, and enjoy the views. The breakfast staff was particularly good.
This is a great hotel, in a wonderful location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank natty3816
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Grand Flora is an old style hotel that has been made over to provide all of the modern amenities. This is one of the very few Category 8 hotels in the Marriott chain. It is located in one of the most scenic areas of Rome and is conveniently located to many of the sights that most visitors would want to see. The service was fantastic. Everyone form the doormen to the concierge could not have ben more helpful as they went out of their way to make this a most pleasant stay. We would higly recommend this hotel to anyone considering a visit to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob P
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is one of Marriott's category 8 properties and was very happy to use points to stay here. I arrived via train and took a cab to the hotel. I can't recall the amount but it was reasonable. This is a VERY nice Marriott and you feel very worldly staying here. I was glad to be dressed up upon check in! Hotel staff friendly and no issues with check in. Concierge was helpful and provided good intel on the local attractions.

Rooms were very small by US standards, but this is Italy. My room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. Can't say the view was good although when staying on points you rarely get anything good these days. That is a Marriott issue, not the hotel itself. Used room service for a light snack and the food was delivered promptly. Many of the tourist attractions are close and there's ample shopping and dining near the hotel.

The concierge lounge was really nice with rooftop seating. It was a cold day during my stay, but I did venture out for some pictures. Breakfast was really good with many American and European options. I would recommend the hotel due to its location and because it is a really nice property. Even better recommendation if you have Marriott points. When in Rome, right? Hope this helps.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank BPreston310
Reviewed 21 March 2012

At the end of many long days of walking the city this Marriott property couldn't have been more rewarding. We used points for this 5 day stay and were upgraded to a suite. The linens were crisp and although the bed was not the usual Marriott bed it was comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast on the rooftop was a wonderful way to start the day. Usually ate somewhere away from the hotel as we did the tourist attractions but Trastevere was our absolute favorite for authentic Italian fare.

Room Tip: I would avoid a room above club at the end of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cctravelerCctx
Reviewed 21 March 2012

First time we have ever stayed anywhere on points and were made to feel guilty. Husband is a lifetime Marriott Platinum. I had to reserve 2 rooms as virtually all Marriotts in Europe will not allow 3 in a room on points. I wrote the hotel asking for an early check in if possible. I also asked for 2 rooms close together or the one upgrade to a Jr. Suite which would have allowed my husband, daughter and I to stay together. I explained to the hotel it was our first trip since the death of our oldest daughter and we would like to be together. Not only did we not get an early check in (I guess I didn't really except an early check in although it was low season and the hotel was nowhere near full), our rooms were not ready at the normal 2:00 checkin time. We finally got in one room at 4:00. Our daughter's room next door was still not clean. We were told, even though we booked 2 rooms we would have to pay for our daughter's breakfast..a first. The room was teeny, no platinum upgrade on second floor and the view was the wall of a building and there was no bathtub, only a shower. I called reception 3 times about the room and kept being told it was all they had. Finally I requested to speak to the manager. I was very nice and explained the situation. We were upgraded to a suite, but were told they would keep both certificates (total of 320,000 points). Obviously there was a better room available and as a Platinum we should have been upgraded.
The hotel is beautiful and the view from a decent room. outstanding. The breakfast staff is very good, but the breakfast is below average for a hotel of this statute. The front desk staff remained pretty rude.
We stayed 4 nights and left the hotel at 9 am to catch a train to Naples.I got out my wallet before we left and got out the train tickets. When I got on the train and unzipped my purse my wallet was not there, I left it in the room. We got to Naples in an hour and went through the luggage and the wallet was not there. I called the hotel and they said the room had not been cleaned and they would go check and call back. After 30 minutes we called them and were curtly told the wallet was not there. When we got to our hotel in Sorrento we went through the luggage again, no wallet. We called the hotel again and begged them to check again and call us back. After an hour we called them. Of course by now the room is not only cleaned, but rented and we were curtly told no wallet. The wallet HAD to be left in the room.
Yes, we stayed on points, but have never been made to feel guilty for this. We heard a couple having breakfast who arrived that morning and they were on points, given an upgrade to a suite and offered breakfast the day they checked in and had their room at 8 am, but they were British. We were very nice up to the point of no effort on the wallet.
Also the beds are very hard and uncomfortable not up to Marriott standards or the standard of a high quality hotel.
I RARELY write bad reviews, but Marriott Grand Flora deserves one.

Room Tip: Good luck with that. Ask for a high room with a garden view.
5  Thank ToniV1