“The most overrated Marriott catagory 8 hotel in the history of the company”

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
Ranked #160 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
shelton, ct
“The most overrated Marriott catagory 8 hotel in the history of the company”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Lets start with the good
Our view was pretty good of Villa Borghese and the surrounding parks. Technically I had dumpsters outside my window but being on the 4th floor I could look straight ahead and see a beautiful park
The staff was excellent and friendly- we arrived at 930 and had a room by 11
They brought our luggage up right away
The young lady at the front desk the night of 1/2/13 provided an awesome restaurant recommendation
They gave us a bottle of wine
They gave us a free breakfast the day we checked in which I wasnt eligable for. As a gold member, I get free breakfast but not the day I checked in

The towel racks are heated.Wicked cool but be careful as they were really hot
Flat Screen TV though more arab channels than English

The bad was for 80,000 points as a catagory eight hotel my room and the overall hotel was extremely dated. Now I know that they are working with an old building but change the carpet, change the lamps, the chairs in the room are downright embarassing. Twin Beds?
Put some nice furniture or Art in lobby/rooms
I have stayed in Courtyard Marriotts that were much nicer than this place from a decor and ameneties perspective
They may also have the worst gym of any catagory 8 hotel ever

I would think they know that I am spending 80k points which is alot for 2 nights and I wanted this to be special for my 21 year old daughter traveling with me, they would at least put me in the best room they could with a city view

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have a city view. Stay away from the internal courtyard rooms. They lierally look...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank halllee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Not sure why Marriott buys these dated hotels in Europe and then doesn't update them, but here's another prime example. The lobby furniture looks like it came from my grandma's basement. Staff was friendly and helpful (especially Massimo and Marco), and the rooms were clean (we had 2), but the whole place needs a major facelift. The location can't be beat (except maybe the Spanish Steps area), so if you're using Marriott points you will be pleased about that. Unfortunately the beautiful roof deck area was locked off at breakfast so even though it was 70 degrees in december, we couldn't have breakfast or go see the view from the roof deck. Note: housekeeping comes quite late, like 2-3pm, so ask at the front desk if you want your room cleaned earlier than that.

Room Tip: One of our rooms faced a small dark interior space. It made our room very dark. The bathroom was sm...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cowgirl359
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed five nights in this very nice hotel.
First the good:
Location, location, location!
As a platinum member we were upgraded to a junior suite which was very nice.
The staff was average
The bar staff was exceptional
The maid service was better than any I have ever experienced.

The not so good:
It appears the economic problems in Italy are filtering down to the workers. The attitude was a bit off from when we here in 2008.
The hotel is very dated with furniture and carpets worn down.
The slow pace in Italy is no longer cute to me after traveling here more than 20 times. It took nearly 10 minutes to check out and no one was in line ahead of me. That is just absurd. The rest of Europe has progressed more quickly.
The food service and quality was average but reasonably priced for the area. The breakfast was very average.

Did i say themaid service was better than any I have ever experienced, it really was.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne L
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I just returned from a 6 day trip to Roma! I stayed at this wonderful hotel, good location and amazing room and staff.

The Hotel is beautiful and very Italian in elegance. It was all decorated for Christmas!

Also, excellent location minutes from everything.

I stayed in Room 604 which was the top floor, overlooking the Borghese Gardens. I stayed 5 nights. It was very quiet. The staff was great. Andrea was very professional and helpful with information, making change for my larger Euro bills, umbrella when raining and check out. The ladies at the front desk were welcoming and kind. Marco was very kind and helpful with taxi assistance.

Housekeeping was excellent and it helped that there was a Business Center and complimentary coffee in the side lobby each morning.

Thank you to the Management and Staff of the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora for a wonderful hotel experience on my first visit to Roma!

I threw some coins in the Trevi Fountain which means I will return to Roma this summer!

Chao!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Leigherton
Logandale, Nevada
Reviewed 17 December 2012

A beautiful hotel, very fancy at the top of the hill - Via Veneto. Recommended by the U.S. Embassy (OK not recommended, but they shall we say "suggested it"...). Clean room and OMG comfortable beds. I arrived at 0930 and they had a room for me. Breakfast (included in price) was oh so good. I ordered hot and fresh of off the menu and supplemented with the huge buffet. Concierge was a wee bit creative, but ok. I was there on the weekend before the Christmas weekend and there were at least 4 private parties and one wedding but my room was absolutely quiet - ahhhhh. All in all more than I expect from a Mariott - VERY classy. Restaurant reviewed separately.

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet, you will not be disappointed. (view from breakfast makes up for inside vie...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Europe
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have to stay in Marriott Flora regularly because my company has a deal with the hotel. I do not understand where all the 5* reviews come from. The location of the hotel is very good, the breakfast terrace on the roof has a fantastic view, but everything else is very mediocre. Very small, dated rooms, very indifferent service at reception, very average breakfast with juices and omlettes both from concentrates. Every time I stay here there are small failures, such as no wifi in the room one day, no slippers another day, no one picks up the phone at reception, room preferences in my profile (king/queen bad, high floor) not honoured, etc. - that spoil the whole impression from the hotel. For the same money one can find much nicer hotels in Rome with much better service - even on the same street.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Vezuka
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Just spent 10 nights at the Grand Flora. Excellent location if you are mobile. always an uphill walk back to hotel.
Our room had a view of Aurelian Walls on side street. Also heard trash being picked up a couple of nights and taxi drivers talking of a morning as we were are on a lower floor.
10 min Walk to Borghese Gallery. 15min to Trevi or Spanish Steps.
25 min to Colosseum or Vatican. Taxi only 10- 15 euro to anything.
25m indoor pool close- but expensive to use. Borghese gardens great to run in.
Safe area to walk in of a night.
Concierge polite and helpful so long as you want to deal with a limited number of tour agencies. Picnic lunch deal not as good as expected. Cheaper and more interesting to buy elsewhere. Disappointed- No restaurant on roof at present- it is used for daily breakfast- view beautiful. Of a night guests can go upstairs if a function is not on. The the night of a wedding reception on the rooftop was noisy and seemed to rock down throught the walls of our room. This did stop by about 1am though.
The lovely downstairs restaurant was also nice on the nights that tour groups were not using it as their final evenings entertainment. This happened repeatedly with Trafalgar and Insight Tours during our stay.
Breakfast good 8 out of 10 mornings of stay. No complaints.
Exercise room small. Didn't feel safe getting to it as it was down in the convention area with very few people there at 6am.
Room lights were repaired first night then functioned fine. fridge started then didn't work for 3-4 days until finally reset. No iron in room but was delivered two days after it was requested.

Room Tip: Higher Floor could be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple