“Has potential, but...”

Ranked #116 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Geneva, Switzerland
“Has potential, but...”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This hotel has a potential to be a perfect hotel. Sadly enough, most of this is being wasted - or at least was during our stay. We stayed for a couple of days in December and were surprised by the inconsistencies observed.
The biggest problem was the temperature. There were two radiators in the bathroom and it was not possible to regulate their temperature. On some days they were "red hot" (but really - it was not possible to touch them for more than few seconds) and created a dry-sauna like atmosphere, on some other days the central heating was off. What is worse, because of the heat it was also too warm in the room. It was not possible to switch the air-conditioning into the cooling mode, and opening the window was not always a solution as it was just next to the bed... The problem did not seem to be limited to our room - the whole hotel (lobby, restaurant) were on few days way too warm. It might be that due to the spa renovation (btw, nothing was mentioned about it in the confirmation email).
The other problem were the smokers - people were smoking in the corridors and the smoke entered the room without any problems.
Finally, the buffet breakfast. How come that in Italy, where there are oranges on trees and you can buy all kinds of vegetables on the markets, the hotel could not get anything better than poor quality tomatoes, tasteless melon, canned ananas and peach? Similarly the selection of meats and cheeses was worse than some 3-star hotels in Southern France / Northern Italy. Really poor choice, unappetizing and dull...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mloz123
M_DEste, Direttore generale at Baglioni Hotel Regina, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Guest
First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback, your comments are really precious for us to improve our service and ensure your satisfaction.
We have immediately addressed the problem of the heating with our chief of maintenance. Apparently it seems that due to an extraordinary maintenance of the heating system the sensor which reads the temperature in some of the rooms was not set correctly and therefore there was some difference between the temperature set and the actual temperature in the room. Now everything has been set back to normal. About our SPA we plan it to be open by next month, it will be one of the best of Via Veneto with Jacuzzi, massage rooms and treatments, I really hope you will have the chance to visit us in the near future to show you our new luxurious relaxing area. Regarding people smoking in the hotel, our property has a no smoking policy, it may seldom happen though that some guests don’t strictly adhere to our regulations, we apologize for that. We have taken into consideration your suggestions about breakfast, we have changed our setup and improved the selection. Our hotel has been always know for the quality and richness of our breakfast and I am very sorry that during your stay a different impression has transpired. I would like to have the chance to prove you that what you have experienced is not our standard way of operation, we look forward to welcome you back soon as our guest.
Sincerely yours

Maurizio D'ESTE
Vice President & Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Regina Baglioni hotel in Rome for two nights including Christmas day 2013 and had a fantastic time. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and we felt very welcome and comfortable as soon as we entered the lobby.

We had booked early as we wanted to make sure we got a room with a balcony so we could have some fresh air coming through during the day and while the hotel said they can't gaurantee a balcony room they would do their best. Upon check in we found out that as there were no balcony rooms we have been upgraded to a suite!

The Dolce Vita suite was simply amazing with a huge living room and bedroom and ridiculously spacious bathroom, with a shower with plenty of room for 2 and lots of large windows that could be opened up to let nice fresh air through the apartment.

We unpacked and went out for the day, from the hotel its an easy walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and then onwards to the Pantheon & Piazza Navona wandering along lovely old alley ways the whole way. If you enjoy walking, as we do, then you can continue on all the way down to the Coloseum and the Roman Forum before looping back up to the hotel all in a day.

When we got back we found a bottle of prosecco on ice and a small desert setup on table in the room which was another great surprise.

We had breakfast one morning and there was a good selection and everything was tasty, we didn't try the restaurant in the hotel as there are so many great little restaurants and cafes around Rome we prefer to stop during the day as we walk around.

I would highly recommend the Regina Baglioni hotel in Rome to anyone who wants an amazing place to stay. I intend to try their other properties in Italy on future trips as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
M_DEste, Direttore generale at Baglioni Hotel Regina, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay at the Regina Hotel Baglioni. We are also happy you have appreciated our special Christmas gift for you. The Dolcevita Suite is really one of the best suite you could find in Rome especially if you are looking for precious Carrara marbles, Murano chandeliers with a unique art Decò style. We really look forward to welcome you back soon to Rome.
Sincerely yours

Vice President & Area GM for
Regina Hotel Baglioni, Rome and Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have been involved with Baglioni Hotels for many years in major head office management positions, which I left in june 2013 to start my sailing charter company called Sailingtheweb.com. I can therefore be quite fair about Baglioni Hotels properties.

i have been back to the hotel in December this year for some meeting in the city

Regina Baglioni is set in one of the nicest location of Rome off the crowd at no more than 10 minutes to must see places like Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, Via Condotti exc.

the hotel is one of the most recently renewed of the capital, and its deco style rooms are comfortable and elegant.

Service is up to luxury standard and staff is genuine and friendly, helpfull and careful. concierge have their own open room, aside the reception and guests are set in comfortable armchairs and there they can very privately define their visits need. this is something very nice the hotel did for guests comfort and privacy.

much more genuine hotel than majority of big names there. As in all roman hotels, but this is a. atter of the city

Restaurant serve great food and breakfast is one of the best in the city

In general

sometimes, service could be more perfect , but that's Something which belong to the Country and do not effect at the great memories you leave the hotel with.

great hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sailingtheweb
MaurizioDEste, Direttore generale at Baglioni Hotel Regina, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review on the hotel.

We always strive to deliver the best in 5 star service along with the best product throughout the Baglioni brand and am glad you experienced this. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the atmosphere we recreated along with the restaurant service and breakfast.

Thank you once again for such a glowing review and we hope we will see you again in this New Year.

Kind regards,

Maurizio D’Este

Vice President & Area GM for Regina Hotel Baglioni, Rome and Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice
virginia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

After a very long flight, all you want to do is get into your room, and wash your face, brush your teeth and stretch out on a big bed before tackling the city. I don't know why and I did not argue, but they got us in well before standard check in. I am sure the corner room with no view helped that process. The room was very ornate, but huge.. really huge. The hotel is not that big, but it does have a feeling of being grand.
I still have no idea how to run the room AC or heat, but was never in there long enough to really worry. If it was hot, I opened the window (if you leave the window open when you leave the room, they magically know and close it while your out), and if it was cool, the room heats up fast. The bathroom was big and had all the amenities. And the walk in closet was just plain dreamy.
The location was great for walking to everything. Italy was a very quick trip on our way to the next destination, but we squeezed in as much as we could. The hotel was placed just right for all of the adventures and the concierge and front desk were wonderful and helpful.
The breakfast was very good and on the first morning the service was perfect, the second was pretty good, and I am not sure they knew we were there by the last morning.
The other odd thing was the night lock down. We had a late dinner and then walked back to the hotel. We did not think it was that late, but the doors were locked. There were a few "ladies of the night" handing round on the corner across the street so perhaps this is done for security, but lights were out, and doors were locked. We rattled the doors and after a few, a security person opened the doors and let us in. Never actually asked us room numbers or checked for keys, just let us in and locked the doors behind us. I just thought that odd.
This hotel would have perfect score if not for the night watchman, room ac/heat unit, and the breakfast slacking. The staff were wonderful, the hotel very nice, breakfast was great, the room clean and large. Clearly Rome was so amazing the hotel issues were minor in comparison.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank vacationx2
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences following your stay here in Rome.

I am glad that you enjoyed our location, allowing easy access to the shopping hotspots and I am glad to see you managed to take full advantage of this.

But I would also like to apologise that you found the room location not satisfying. I have updated your profile to allocate you on a higher floor with view for a future visit to ensure that a repeat does not happen.

Thank you also for letting the hotel know regarding the service at breakfast on the second and third morning, which is below the high level of service which Regina is renowned for. I have informed our Food & Beverage Director of your feedback and has been shared with the Caffe Baglioni Team.

I have also passed your feedback in relation to the AC sistem to our Engineering department who is working on it, so thank you for letting us know.

Regarding the night watchman and the fact that he let in a guest without confirming their name or room number , I have raised your comment with the Security Department as this should have been done . I am sorry that this was not done.

I am glad to read that Rome has made your trip enforgettable .

Once again thank you for constructive feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings so we can allocate a room suitable for your preferences.

Kind regards,
BsAs
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Lovely hotel in a great spot in Via Venetto , close to the Borghese park, nice restaurants and bars close by. The hotel has style and bonheur, good rooms with big bathrooms for European standards, they offer a top buffet breakfast and the staff especially the charming Colombian at the entrance are very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences following your stay here at the Regina Hotel Baglioni .

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel, which is second to none for shopping, entertainment , restaurants and main attractions which are all in short walking distance away.

It is important to start off the day in a positive way, so I am happy you found breakfast superb and set you up perfectly to explore everything Rome has to offer.

Please rest assured that I have shared your comments with the team and they were all delighted to hear your compliments.
best regards,

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We arrived at the Regina Baglioni after a short trip from the UK; a trip for me and my mum! We were immediately greeted by a charming gentleman who helped us out of our car and took our bags inside. The stairway and reception area that greet you take your breath away, and the people on reception were delightful. It was only 11.30 but our room was ready and we were personally shown straight to our door! The room was beautiful, not huge, but twin beds and a separate dressing area and bathroom suited us just fine! Comfy beds, great toiletries and fluffy robes made it even more "luxury". My only complaint would be some cracked tiles around the bath and the AC didn’t work brilliantly so would worry about this in the height of summer! These things could be easily fixed and subtract from the 5* quality of everything else.
We chose to have a glass of prosecco in the hotel bar before we had dinner elsewhere and were a little stunned at the price of two drinks at 16 euro each...however, the array of nibbles that came with them more than made up for it; little sandwiches, deep fried mozzarella balls, smoked salmon, Gazpacho...just yummy! This hotel steers away from your standard modern luxury, and maintains it's art deco charm. I am super super fussy and easily find fault with things, but I'd definitely stay there again and have told everyone hoping to visit Rome to do the same!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LadyNev55
MaurizioDEste, Direttore generale at Baglioni Hotel Regina, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay with us this year.
We are all delighted that you loved your time with us and the small touches we give to our guests. We are indeed pleased to know that if you returned to Rome you would only consider another night with us.
Regarding the small improvements you suggested , I am glad to inform you that our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Regina Hotel Baglioni Rome in the nearby future

With warmest wishes,

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I said 'almost' because the room (mine was #122), although more than decent, could use a facelift. Other than that, service was very attentive, the buffet breakfast superior, the (free) wi-fi worked smoothlessly. I know room rates can be quite high, but if you manage to grab a good promo rate (I did), chances are you are going to get good value for your money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FF
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Regina Hotel Rome. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your time at our Hotel and that you loved the breakfast buffet.
We have a large variety of rooms to choose from classic rooms with a traditional feel to newly refurbished suites. If you found your previous room too cosy then perhaps on your next stay we could provide you with one of our many larger rooms.
You can find incredible offers as well on our ufficial website.
We look forward to welcoming you back at your Hotel in Rome and meanwhile we wish you Happy Holidays.