“Friendly”

Ranked #65 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Louth, United Kingdom
“Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

We recently stayed four nights at the Lord Byron and I would definitely recommend it. We had a triple room and my mum a double room both which were a good size. There were toiletries and a free soft drinks mini bar included. At night the beds were turned down, slippers laid out for you and the electric shutters put down. The breakfast was adequate but lacked much choice. The staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was to much trouble. The hotel is a little way out of Rome, a taxi costing between 7-12 euros to the city. We had a private terrace off our room which was lovely to relax on in the evenings. The hotel was what a would call boutique style.

Room Tip: Eat at the nearby Trattoria
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chez68blue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Eu, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

My family and I just returned from a long weekend in Rome and we stayed at the Lord Byron in a suite. I travel a lot for work and leisure and I have never posted on Trip Advisor because our trips usually are great. However, I felt that it was necessary to post our experience at this hotel so that other families with young children are aware of it.

After reading the great reviews of this 5 star, we were excited about the trip. When I booked the room in December, I communicated in writing that I would need 2 baby cribs. A week before our arrival, I wrote to the hotel to reconfirm and the resident manager told me that a crib or a rollaway would be an option for our older child. I explicitly told her that I wanted 2 cribs. She said fine. When we arrived, I was told that only one crib was available. I informed the front desk that this was not acceptable given my original communication and my correspondence with the manager last week. We went up to the suite and found that the hotel had already pulled out the couch and made it up as a bed. This irritated me even more. Forty-five minutes later, the front desk called me and said that they had another crib. When the crib arrived, I was not impressed. It looked like a small wooden crate with bars around it with a mattress as thick as a sponge. This is not 5 star service. To put things into perspective, the Four Seasons has beautiful brass cribs decorated with colorful buntings, beautiful bed linens, a stuffed animal and a welcome gift for children.

Later at breakfast, we were told that there was only 1 high chair in the restaurant. I could not believe it. The poor other family with a young child had no high chair to use at all.

Some of the other reviewers wrote about how it was lovely to walk through the park to get to the city sites. This is true if you don't have a stroller with 25 kilos of kids in them. The hotel is situated on top of a hill. To get to the sites, one must walk down a big hill, then walk up a big hill and then down again and then of course, up, down, up on the way back. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the closest site, about 1.5 hours to get to the Colosseum. We like to walk a lot but it is hard to avoid taking cab at all if you stay at this hotel. Again, if you don't have young children, that is fine. If you do and have to drive without car seats in a taxi, it's not exactly safe.

My advice to the hotel is to invest in some basic baby equipment: comfortable cribs and more high chairs if you want to accommodate families with young children. Families with young children may want to stay closer to the center to avoid the long hilly walk to the sites.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Jardinier2011
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

We got married in Rome on March 31st and stayed six nights at the Lord Byron Hotel with our children and parents. The staff speeks excellent English and I was very satisfied with our choice of hotel. The rooms are elegant, quite large and cleaned every time you leave your key at the reception. The concierge service was polite, efficient and helpful with all our requests, such as providing a babysitter, hairdresser, wedding bouquet, restaurant recommandations etc. Genuine hospitality and friendlyness seems to be their trademark.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and get personal service.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

If you like smaller hotels (32 rooms) you will like this one. Very good staff, reasonable cost, and good food as well. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011
Minsk, Belarus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my husband at the beginning of March. The location of the hotel was excellent, in a quiet and green place.

The rooms were cosy and it felt more like visiting a friend than staying in a hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helped us to make the most of our visit to Rome with helpful advice and help with booking museum tickets etc.

I would definitely stay there again and recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed at The Lord Byron for 4 nights and were thoroughly impressed with everything connected to this beautifully art-deco furnished hotel. The hotel is a short walk from the centre of Rome, but you can either take a taxi (which were always instantly available) or walk through the Borghese Gardens to get there.

The staff are extremely service minded, very polite, and the general service level is second to none. The whole hotel is decorated in an art-deco style and is casual elegant. It feels like a home away from home. Everything is kept spotlessly clean and serviced throughout the day.

The bar provides excellent drinks and dinner at the restaurant was superb. The breakfast buffet is also worth complimenting.

This is definitely our choice of hotel the next time we are in Rome and will also use their partner hotel in Florence when we go there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reigate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

We stayed at The Lord Byron for a long weekend and were delighted in all aspects of this beautifully furnished and managed hotel. Although a short walk from the centre of Rome the bonus is that you can walk through the Borghese Park to get there - an added bonus as the park was beautiful.

From the time we arived until we left all of the staff were nothing but friendly, polite and extremely helpful Service was quietly efficient but totally unassuming and the decor was beautiful and reflected the luxury of the hotel. We loved the wardrobes in the bedroom - you must go there to witness them and the bedroom was kept spotlessly clean and serviced throughout the day. If I had any "complaint" with a very small "c" it would be the lack ot tea and coffee making facilities in the bedroom.

Although we didn't dine in tthe hotel braekfast was superb and as with everything with this hotel nothing was too much trouble. We will certainly return if we come back to Rome or we will use their partner hotel in Florence.

Another good choice thanks to Trip Advisor.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Amedeo_Ottaviani, Proprietario at Hotel Lord Byron, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Guests,
We thank you for your feedback and for your nice review. Regarding the tea & coffee facilities we remind you that you have the possibility to order your tea or coffee through our Room Service. We look forward to welcome you again in the near future! Best regards.