“Disappointed”

Ranked #58 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

It was the firs time in my life when I relied on trip advisor reviews and was so much disappointed that I had to change hotel
I can't understand how people could rate this hotel as excellent. The hotel needs renovation, it seems like the owner is so keen of the history of his hotel since 1960s that he does't want to refurbish and renovate the rooms. But they are so old that I had allergy every time when I got in to room. So I would pay for it max 100 euro, not 350-500 as they want for it. The service yes it was immediate and professional, this was the only positive thing, but all the rest was very strange, no complimentary bathing amenities, complimentary breakfast included only jams, bread and pastry, all other things like omlette or eggs were a la carte and not cheap. So it was a bad experience and I won' t rate this hotel as 5 star or recommend it to my friends. May be older people would like this hotel willing to get back to 70s atmosphere, but for young people who are used to pay for luxury hotels and get luxury for their money this is not the right place.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Polina28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The Lord Byron Hotel is an excellent hotel. My wife and I stayed for a week during April so that we could have a look around Rome.

We received excellent service from all the staff throughout our stay. In particular, the concierge team were knowledgeable, very helpful and 'made things happen'. They seemed to have the knack of being able to anticipate our needs. The restaurants that were recommended were exactly what we were looking for and were also of very high standard. When I asked for tickets to see Lazio play (I asked on Sunday morning for the game the same day!) - they were naturally doubtful but delivered nonetheless. Brilliant !

The hotel is decorated in an art deco style, including the bedrooms. This makes the experience much more interesting than the usual bland/functional style adopted by the large chains.

The overall feel is one of calm and relaxation in, what can be, a very busy and energetic city.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Amedeo_Ottaviani, Proprietario at Hotel Lord Byron, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Dear Guests,
We thank you for your feedback and for your nice review. Our Head Concierge Mr. Andrea Lacetera and the entire staff are always at your complete disposal. We look forward to welcome you again in the near future! Best regards.
Louth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We recently stayed four nights at the Lord Byron and I would definitely recommend it. We had a triple room and my mum a double room both which were a good size. There were toiletries and a free soft drinks mini bar included. At night the beds were turned down, slippers laid out for you and the electric shutters put down. The breakfast was adequate but lacked much choice. The staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was to much trouble. The hotel is a little way out of Rome, a taxi costing between 7-12 euros to the city. We had a private terrace off our room which was lovely to relax on in the evenings. The hotel was what a would call boutique style.

Room Tip: Eat at the nearby Trattoria
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chez68blue
Eu, France
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My family and I just returned from a long weekend in Rome and we stayed at the Lord Byron in a suite. I travel a lot for work and leisure and I have never posted on Trip Advisor because our trips usually are great. However, I felt that it was necessary to post our experience at this hotel so that other families with young children are aware of it.

After reading the great reviews of this 5 star, we were excited about the trip. When I booked the room in December, I communicated in writing that I would need 2 baby cribs. A week before our arrival, I wrote to the hotel to reconfirm and the resident manager told me that a crib or a rollaway would be an option for our older child. I explicitly told her that I wanted 2 cribs. She said fine. When we arrived, I was told that only one crib was available. I informed the front desk that this was not acceptable given my original communication and my correspondence with the manager last week. We went up to the suite and found that the hotel had already pulled out the couch and made it up as a bed. This irritated me even more. Forty-five minutes later, the front desk called me and said that they had another crib. When the crib arrived, I was not impressed. It looked like a small wooden crate with bars around it with a mattress as thick as a sponge. This is not 5 star service. To put things into perspective, the Four Seasons has beautiful brass cribs decorated with colorful buntings, beautiful bed linens, a stuffed animal and a welcome gift for children.

Later at breakfast, we were told that there was only 1 high chair in the restaurant. I could not believe it. The poor other family with a young child had no high chair to use at all.

Some of the other reviewers wrote about how it was lovely to walk through the park to get to the city sites. This is true if you don't have a stroller with 25 kilos of kids in them. The hotel is situated on top of a hill. To get to the sites, one must walk down a big hill, then walk up a big hill and then down again and then of course, up, down, up on the way back. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the closest site, about 1.5 hours to get to the Colosseum. We like to walk a lot but it is hard to avoid taking cab at all if you stay at this hotel. Again, if you don't have young children, that is fine. If you do and have to drive without car seats in a taxi, it's not exactly safe.

My advice to the hotel is to invest in some basic baby equipment: comfortable cribs and more high chairs if you want to accommodate families with young children. Families with young children may want to stay closer to the center to avoid the long hilly walk to the sites.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Jardinier2011
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We got married in Rome on March 31st and stayed six nights at the Lord Byron Hotel with our children and parents. The staff speeks excellent English and I was very satisfied with our choice of hotel. The rooms are elegant, quite large and cleaned every time you leave your key at the reception. The concierge service was polite, efficient and helpful with all our requests, such as providing a babysitter, hairdresser, wedding bouquet, restaurant recommandations etc. Genuine hospitality and friendlyness seems to be their trademark.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and get personal service.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 8 April 2011

If you like smaller hotels (32 rooms) you will like this one. Very good staff, reasonable cost, and good food as well. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my husband at the beginning of March. The location of the hotel was excellent, in a quiet and green place.

The rooms were cosy and it felt more like visiting a friend than staying in a hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helped us to make the most of our visit to Rome with helpful advice and help with booking museum tickets etc.

I would definitely stay there again and recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple